2012 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Country83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm looking for a new to me truck. My wife and i found a 3500 crew cab dually with a 6.7 Cummings tonight. I think it's a nice looking truck with a few body flaws but it's got 214,000 miles. We will be using a truck to pull a camper with(around 8500 dry weight). is this truck with considering with that many miles on it? Is there anything to look for with that many miles? It would be used to tow with a few times a month but it would also sit some and drive interstate some.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice!

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A Cummins (sp) with 215K is just broken in if it's been maintained. But as you probably know, maintenance is the key for the powertrain to survive. Does the truck have any service records available?

I would focus on doing a complete used vehicle inspection after a good warm up drive.

OP
OP
C

Country83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Honestly I don't know. I saw it while we were riding around looking tonight and I like the design and the lines the dually's have. Its a question I will have to call and ask on mon. I do know a diesel mechanic that could give it a good look over too.

I think it was used for transportation. It's a '12 with that many miles, that bout 53,000/year. But I will look into the records. Body is a little rough(dents and dings in the back qtrs and that area, but inside looks near perfect.

nationalminer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've always been a believer in High Mileage vehicles. Mileage= Discount as long as its been maintained and you can save some $$ go for it.

Skrap

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Laramie MegaCab 4x4
Engine
I'm not a diesel guy and maybe some of you can chime in but I would think a guy that buys a dually diesel and puts 215k miles on it in three years towed something for a living. All day everyday. And if a dually CTD, it may have been quite large and heavy loads. I would imagine 215k miles with continuously towing big and heavy is not the same as 215k just driving without towing. Am off base here?

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My thing is this, the motor is reliable beyond those mileage numbers. That that is a lot of miles on the other moving parts. Even with proper maintenance, moving parts wear out. but that would be my $.02

nationalminer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My thing is this, the motor is reliable beyond those mileage numbers. That that is a lot of miles on the other moving parts. Even with proper maintenance, moving parts wear out. but that would be my $.02

That's why the discount must be significant to makeup for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nationalminer84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why spend the money on the truck then repairs when you could have bought a lower mile truck to begin with. It's gotta be a deal and the way many people price high mileage diesels it's hard to find obe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk