UK 2002 Ram 3500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neilgunstone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum gasoline
HI.

I'm new to the forum. just wanted to introduce myself. I live in the UK and since i was young, have always loved Dodge trucks. So, last year, as it was my BIG 50, i bought a truck. I found a nice 2002 Ram 3500 dually single cab, 5.9 magnum gasoline, auto. Unbelievably 44000 miles recorded on the truck, and was imported at some point from Canada.
There's going to be some changes to the truck. Steering upgrades will be coming, she doesn't wander right now!!!, front suspension upgrades as well as the rear.
The body is pretty solid, not much in the way of rust, couple little minor bubble on the fenders, underside needs a good clean. She does have the old crack in the dash, i'll swap this out for a new dash from LMC.
My main question to everyone here is. i do not know the history of the vehicle, and if it has already had any work on the suspension. All i do know is the rear leaf springs do have a 5inch lift block (don't know what was factory or not). Does anyone know what the factory standard ride height is? I wouls assume you can measure from the centre of the hub, or from the floor to the front edge of the fender?? The truck currently has an inch and a half of rake from the rear.

i was thinking of going to CJC??

i do like the height of the rear, but need to make it a little softer, cause damn!! shes hard!!!

Thanks for all your assistanceRam 3500.jpg

Ram 3500 (1).jpgRam 3500 (2).jpg

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If you wanted a soft ride, you bought the wrong vehicle. 3500 is just gonna be like that. As for the spacer block, I'm not sure on that. With as tall as it is it wouldn't surprise me if it does have some lift but I wouldn't think 5". Some pics of the leafs would help others determine your current set up. Looks awesome, always loved the second gens.

OP
OP
N

neilgunstone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum gasoline
If you wanted a soft ride, you bought the wrong vehicle. 3500 is just gonna be like that. As for the spacer block, I'm not sure on that. With as tall as it is it wouldn't surprise me if it does have some lift but I wouldn't think 5". Some pics of the leafs would help others determine your current set up. Looks awesome, always loved the second gens.
Hey.
thanks for your feedback. i'll see if i can get some pics of the leafs and try to clean up the shocks to see if there's anything on them. 2nd Gens are great looking trucks

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
being a 3500, are your tires inflated to 70-80 PSI ?

you need that to reach the advertised payload, but if your not hauling things, you can air them down to 35 or so and have the tires act as part of the suspension

OP
OP
N

neilgunstone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum gasoline
Hi rzr. Here's some images of the suspension and the pitman arm20240323_173953.jpg20240323_173931.jpg20240323_173915.jpg20240323_173905.jpg20240323_173842.jpg20240323_173817.jpg20240323_173804.jpg. Gotta lot of work to do20240323_174033.jpg

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Wow that spacer block is massive. Looks like some parts could definitely use replacing, for sure shocks and you should take a close look at the leaf springs to make sure they aren't rusted through or have any cracks.

When working on my 93 Sierra, everything I work on I scrape/hammer off the rust and get a few coats of spray paint on it. Spray paint isn't great but its better than nothing. I hate rust....

OP
OP
N

neilgunstone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum gasoline
Wow that spacer block is massive. Looks like some parts could definitely use replacing, for sure shocks and you should take a close look at the leaf springs to make sure they aren't rusted through or have any cracks.

When working on my 93 Sierra, everything I work on I scrape/hammer off the rust and get a few coats of spray paint on it. Spray paint isn't great but its better than nothing. I hate rust....
Yup. That's a 5inch spacer to the rear. I'll be treating all of the chassis to new under seal, including the axles.
The truck is getting new front suspension, including steering, shocks and springs, new front sway bar, new leaf springs to the rear, new rear shocks, all new shackles.
I'll see if I can clean the front shocks to see if there is a make, I doubt it though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517