2013 Cummins additive

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jldillard111

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummings 6.7
How hard on the additive is the 2013 Cummings?
I have had my 2013 dodge ram 2500 diesel mega cab Laramie for a 10 days and the additive level hasn't came off full. It has 465 miles on it

ljvsnyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have heard sevearal different stories so far fords need filed every oil change. Don't keep a lot of stock unless you have it stored in an air conditioned building breaks done it extreme heat and cold. Oh and it is Cummins some Will tear into you for spelling it wrong, so watch the spell check, mine always changed to the wrong spelling.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Have the actually switched to the DEF system? Do you have a blue cap next to your fuel cap?

It depends on how often the truck has to go into active regeneration, if your using the truck and makeing it work then it'll go into passive regeneration and won't use much DEF fluid

I believe most use 7-8 gallons per oil change which I believe is about the capacity of the tank (7000-10000 miles depending in how the truck is driven)

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I've done a bunch of research into this. Looks like the Cummins engine uses DEF at a roughly 50:1 diesel to DEF ratio (2% of diesel usage). Look at this document from Cummins: http://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/MB10033.pdf

You can find stations with DEF here: Pilot Flying J

It's easy to tell if a Ram takes DEF. First, if it's a 2013, it's got DEF. Second, the blue cap next to the fuel fill cap. Lastly, this little gauge in the instrument cluster that is specifically for DEF level.

I plan on keeping a small bottle of it in the truck just for those times when an emergency hits, but it's near twice as expensive to buy it in a bottle, compared to finding it a fuel station. Knowing you can find it at any Flying J truck stop, is great to know.

2013-ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2013 Cummings additive

Q. What is the freeze point of DEF?
A. A 32.5% solution of DEF will begin to crystallize and freeze at 12 deg F (-11 deg C). At 32.5%, both the urea and water will freeze at the same rate, ensuring that as it thaws, the fluid does not become diluted, or over concentrated. The freezing and unthawing of DEF will not cause degradation of the product.

This is my main concern with DEF. but hopefully they have perfected the heating system on the rams. Since this is their first year to use the DEF additive

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
This is my main concern with DEF. but hopefully they have perfected the heating system on the rams. Since this is their first year to use the DEF additive

This isn't their first year using the DEF additive. They've been using it on the 4500's and 5500's for a couple years now. They've had time to test and perfect the system to implement it on consumer level vehicles. At least, that's what I'm hoping, and what the dealers are touting. I guess there's both a heating element for the tank, as well as a cooling element to ensure the DEF is at the proper temperature before injection.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Its not actually the first year for DEF in Rams it has been used in the chassis cab trucks for a few years

^^^That wasn't there when I posted lol should have refreshed (3500 chassis cabs have them too)

Last edited:

2013-ram3500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
2013 Cummings additive

This isn't their first year using the DEF additive. They've been using it on the 4500's and 5500's for a couple years now. They've had time to test and perfect the system to implement it on consumer level vehicles. At least, that's what I'm hoping, and what the dealers are touting. I guess there's both a heating element for the tank, as well as a cooling element to ensure the DEF is at the proper temperature before injection.

Good to know its not the first year on the rams. Didn't know that!! Thanks. Glad to know they have provisions to heat and cool it.

bitNine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Yeah, this is all very interesting stuff. I looked around a ton to learn about the system before making the decision to take the plunge and purchase a 2013 2500 over a 2012. Only thing is, talking to a friend who has a 2013 Powerstroke, it seems that the Cummins uses more DEF than his truck.

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
just as a note DEF does expire, we seem to get a 4-6 month shelf life before we start getting codes (non cummins engines albeit)

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Is there any particular brand or is all the same? I would guess going to a dodge dealer has the same stuff as Auto zone?

Rotzilla

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
As stated above Def is much cheaper at a truck stop, I paid $2.80 a gallon at LUV's, and the same fluid in the gallon containers was $8 a gallon. I don't know if there is any difference in brands. I do know that I used a half tank over 1500 miles, then used almost as much over a 500 mile trip pulling my camper. My best guess is 2500 to 3500 miles to the 8 gallon tank under normal non-towing conditions.

Also be gentle when filling you Def, the blue filler neck is only glued to your fender, and it didnt take much to push it through the fender, watching it hang from under the truck was mildly amusing, UNTIL I had to crawl under the damn truck and shove it back through the fender hole. (STUPID)

Last edited:

crroberts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been skeptical about DEF ever since we got a tractor that has to have it. It takes I think 18 gallons and you may as well fill it every time you put fuel in it. We get it in 2.5 gallon jugs and I believe it's about 16 bucks for a jug. So after using in with the tractor I consider it a PITA.