FUEL MAGIC vs. P0147C

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
Greetings my fellow Cummins brothers.

On three separate occassions I have added one ounce of Fuel Magic to 34 gallons of diesel. Of course, it was well mixed with the fuel. On each occassion my check engine light came on within 3 hours of filling up. The OBD code was P0147C each time (bank 1 slow response rich lean etc.). After using a quarter of a tank of fuel I refilled with straight diesel no additive. Within 24 hours the check engine goes off and all seems well.

Any ideas as to what's happening? Is the additive that good or is the ECM that much better?

Thanks in advance for your responses and Happy Father's Day!!

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
i'm not familiar with that specific but generally additives to ULSD engines are not a wise idea, there are very few that actually do much other than add sulphur back in, and most climates do not need need any additives other than northern canada to help lower the cloud point ect

OP
OP
K

Keep It Cummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins ISB 6.7 L
i'm not familiar with that specific but generally additives to ULSD engines are not a wise idea, there are very few that actually do much other than add sulphur back in, and most climates do not need need any additives other than northern canada to help lower the cloud point ect

Here in south Louisiana I am not concerned with clouding or gelling. The purpose of this additive is to enhance lubricity and bump cetane up a little. Its hard to imagine that 1 ounce can affect 34 gallons and trigger a computer response. Thanks for your response.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
1 ounce of water in the system will trigger a warning

I wish I had a picture of the techs face when my girlfriends dad mentioned running of road fuel through his then stock 6.7

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
Here in south Louisiana I am not concerned with clouding or gelling. The purpose of this additive is to enhance lubricity and bump cetane up a little. Its hard to imagine that 1 ounce can affect 34 gallons and trigger a computer response. Thanks for your response.

most "lubricity" additives are just putting sulphur back into the fuel, the extra sulphur will damage the fuel pump and injectors, totally honestly the new ULSD only need what u get from the pump, cetane boosters wont harm anything though, if you had a older diesel designed to run LSD then you have to add lubricity additives to every tank

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
most "lubricity" additives are just putting sulphur back into the fuel, the extra sulphur will damage the fuel pump and injectors, totally honestly the new ULSD only need what u get from the pump, cetane boosters wont harm anything though, if you had a older diesel designed to run LSD then you have to add lubricity additives to every tank

I'm going to have to disagree, added lubricity to fuel is good no matter what. Whatever is in this "fuel magic" is hanging up on the o2 sensor and it isnt liking it (many o2 sensors do the same thing when engine coolant entires the exhaust). The stuff in your fuel magic eventually gets cooked off of the o2 sensor and then its happy again.

I suggest you switch to someone a little more reputable in the fuel additives department. I personally run Stanadyne additive in my currently bone stock 2010 and it never gives an issue over it. Stanadyne is a very good additive that is completely safe for ULSD engines. After all Stanadyne builds injection pumps, I think they probably know what they are doing. Just the humble opinion of a crazy oilfield mechanic :insane:

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
I'm going to have to disagree, added lubricity to fuel is good no matter what. Whatever is in this "fuel magic" is hanging up on the o2 sensor and it isnt liking it (many o2 sensors do the same thing when engine coolant entires the exhaust). The stuff in your fuel magic eventually gets cooked off of the o2 sensor and then its happy again.

I suggest you switch to someone a little more reputable in the fuel additives department. I personally run Stanadyne additive in my currently bone stock 2010 and it never gives an issue over it. Stanadyne is a very good additive that is completely safe for ULSD engines. After all Stanadyne builds injection pumps, I think they probably know what they are doing. Just the humble opinion of a crazy oilfield mechanic :insane:

i see what your saying and yes more lubricity is obviously better as long as its not just adding more sulphur back into the fuel which most do, there are some that keep to the ULSD levels and those are fine.

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
The engine itself doesnt mind the sulphur, its the emissions junk that hates it. Mainly the DPF.

the injectors and the rail pump dont like it either, we had the system go in one of our cranes and cummins blamed it on high sulphur content in the fuel scoring the pump and damaging the piezo crystal in the injectors

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Been running low sulfur diesel in a deleted 09 for over 2 years without any problems :shrug:

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
the injectors and the rail pump dont like it either, we had the system go in one of our cranes and cummins blamed it on high sulphur content in the fuel scoring the pump and damaging the piezo crystal in the injectors

I can see an unusually an high amount of sulphur causing issues but the sulphur content in standard pre ULSD diesel would not hurt that system because that system isnt exactly new technology, both the pump and the injector technology has been around for a while. Also, you need to remember that both dodge and ford are running these same engines sans emissions in places like mexico (which uses extremely high sulphur content diesel). I've been dealing with warranty stuff from ford 6.0 powerstrokes to CAT's janky HUEI injection system on the C9 out in the oilfields. I've heard plenty of excuses from companies on why theyre product failed, some are true and some arent.

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
I can see an unusually an high amount of sulphur causing issues but the sulphur content in standard pre ULSD diesel would not hurt that system because that system isnt exactly new technology, both the pump and the injector technology has been around for a while. Also, you need to remember that both dodge and ford are running these same engines sans emissions in places like mexico (which uses extremely high sulphur content diesel). I've been dealing with warranty stuff from ford 6.0 powerstrokes to CAT's janky HUEI injection system on the C9 out in the oilfields. I've heard plenty of excuses from companies on why theyre product failed, some are true and some arent.

oh i know what ur saying about equipment manufactures trying to duck warranty at any opportunity, i work in the canadian oil fields my self as a red seal crane tech, obv there are a lot of **** and bull stories out there and the truth is hard to separate from the fantasies so to speak, i was more speaking from a perspective for those who have warranty and want to maintain it, and i did make a blanket statement which was not completely correct but to keep it simple and clear for the majority of cummins engine owners do not need to add anything to ULSD to have a long engine life,

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 LB CC Diesel
Engine
6.7 CTD
I think as long as you dont get crazy with the snake oils and stick to the reputable stuff you'd be alright. I hear what your saying, i've seen folks dump crazy things in theyre fuel tank with dreams of power and fuel mileage. I am a HD Mechanic on the North slope of Alaska in the prudhoe oilfield. My job descriptions is fairly broad here, if it burns fuel I work on it. One night i'm fixing a chainsaw, then next i'm rebuilding the fuel system on a C9 and I kinda like that.

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
nice, i got out of all the dirt gear and went for the cranes, it pays a lot better and its not as hard on the body

jpex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7
I hate cranes. We have a Grove RT650E here and I absolutely hate having to work on it.

HAHAHA thats awesome lol, u should love it that will be guaranteed employment lol, no jobs a cake walk, i prefer crawlers by a long shot, but i do the groves and the all terrains as well