4.56:1 Rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noahjdunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Ok guys I know you will probably shake your head in shame for me asking these questions but still kinda new to the whole towing and rear end and would just like some clarification. My power wagon came stock with a 4.56 rear end how much better is that rear end then the 4.10 or would you think I should switch it out for the 4.10. Is it better for towing climbing 4x4ing and what are your opinions.

Next I know what my manual says about towing a trailer of 10,000 lbs is that really pushing the limits of the towing capacity or does dodge just put that up for a cyoa and you can pull more that that without to much problem.

I know they say that the only dumb question is the one not asked but I still feel kinda dumb for asking.

Thanks guys
Noah:boxed:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
4.56 gears are better for towing, especially with the Hemi.
It is also better for off road play.

There is certainly a margin or safety with towing ratings, but if you get in an accident over-weight, you can be in some serious ****.

Where in NM are you?

OP
OP
N

noahjdunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Awesome thank you. I kinda figured that you would get hammered if I got caught pulling to much. Most of the trailers we are looking at are like 11000 lbs dry and I know there is about 1000-1500 lbs of gear that we will have.

We live in Albuquerque.

Bluesmoke91

2nd GEN Site Mod
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd consider a Cummins if i were towing that weight often. The price difference can't be much different between a power wagon and an slt cummins

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
OP
N

noahjdunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
lol now my wife is saying 7000 dry weight and about 9000 fully loaded we talked so I guess at that point I should be a little bit better the reason I am not am not going with a cummins is cause with hunting and it is too loud for the area I hunt. My father has a cummins and it scares every animal out of the valley we hunt. Before you jump to conclusions on driving and hunting we do hump the hills like crazy but we are on a private ranch so we can drive all over the place and the quieter the better. Once this truck is paid off I will be getting a cummins also so that I can pull something even bigger for long road trips I like sleeping where ever but my wife likes sleeping in style lol so t is not me haha
:party36:

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think a 2013 Cummins is any louder / quieter than a Hemi.

And please, it's Cummins, not Cummings.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Taller gears are better for off road crawling. They are also good for getting off the line quicker. But the truck will still have a hard time with it, not to mention the 8ish mpg.

But in my case there good for doing nice peel outs everywhere.

I'm in ABQ also.

Last edited:

03MopaRamman

RAM SPORT / 18 SRT
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 (2003 Forgottens SOLD and 2014 SOLD)
Engine
Hemi 5.7 (392 Hemi) 86 Ford .308 HO Roller
4.56 are a Bonus. The 80% mark or 7500 Lb is what I would Tow max.
Myself with the 3rd Gen Trans and Cammed ETC have enough of a Time with my 6200 lb Trailer if I try and maintain the 65 MPH speed Limit in Hilly areas the Motor runs too Hot even with E-fan and SRT Scouped Hood. Gonna try a 180 stat. I am getting the Impression that the new Trannys are doing alot to help with overall Towing Coupled with the HP difference between 3rd/4th Gen Stock Numbers. Nice rig, can we get some Pics. Danny

OP
OP
N

noahjdunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thank your molar ramman that gives me some good food for thought.

So PCA 4208 is that your rig in your profile pic.

PCA4208

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think I have a full list on my mod thread. Link is in my sig.

But for now most of my money is either being saved, or being out into my project truck 1979 power wagon.

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you bought a Power Wagon and changed out the gears to 4.10's I believe that calls for an immediate :ban:.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I agree with the above post.

:badidea:

If you spend the big money on the real deal factory Power Wagon, why spend more money to go "backwards" and take away the :56's ?

I love mine. The "little" 5.7 Hemi needs them in deep sand or steep hills in 4-Hi, and in 4-Lo they are perfect!

Even on the highway, with the Six Speed Auto, there is enough "Overdrive" that they are not even noticeable.

4:10's would just soften the whole thing up. If you were going to do that, and needed real mileage or something, get the regular half ton 3:92's or whatever they come with. But, at that point, as stated, you are ruining this type of vehicle and should be in something else anyway.

OP
OP
N

noahjdunn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was just "curious" about the difference between them I did not change them what so ever. Since the 4.56 is a better rear end I am not changing it. Now if the 4.10 would have been better I would have but it isn't :emotions122:

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
:doh2:

I hear you. Perhaps my post came off sounding quite a bit stronger than intended. Without "tone" , typed print often sounds more direct and rude which was not my intention. Reading it back myself it sounds a bit snobby. But, I assure you Mega-Hemi and myself were just playing around. Glad to have you here.

Clearly, I have no "Free Fuel Card" and MPG is an important issue. So is getting the most out of one's vehicle, especially something as costly as a new truck.

I applaud you for looking into options and finding out what works and what does not. That is, after all, what makes internet forum boards like this such a valuable tool.

In the "old days" (not so long ago), one would have to try numerous combinations one's self, going through a whole lot of research, time, money, effort and more money to figure things out on one's own. Now, for the most part -if you can find a trustworthy internet source- such as a collective of other owners of the same vehicle, combinations can be hashed out in minutes with merely a few keystrokes. Because someone out there has already tried it, or thought it through from all angles.

I think the 4:10's for the new '14 motor with more torque will do great. But, for the 5.7 which I find to be a little "soft" on the bottom end of the powerband, it really does need the deeper 4:56 gear set up.

Again, that is just my opinion.