2003 4x4 Rear End

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone,

2003 Ram 1500 4x4 with 246,000 miles. Driving home from the gas station yesterday (truck was in 2 wheel drive), I started to hear a "jingling" sound from under my truck. I slowed down and the sound got more faint but it was still there, so I pulled off and didn't see anything hanging under the truck. As I went about 50 on the highway to get home (about a mile or two), I could hear a slight whirring type noise as well. I recently got new tires so when I got home I jacked up the front of the truck and made sure the lugs were torqued. They were fine, so I did the same to the rear. I did notice that with the rear tires off the ground and the vehicle in park, I could not turn the rear wheel on either side. You can usually turn one wheel one way and the other wheel will turn the opposite direction. With the rear wheels off the ground, I had my wife start the truck and put it in gear. I didn't hear the whirring noise until she accelerated, then I could hear it pretty loudly.

For some background, I did change the rear end fluid about 6 months ago due to a slightly leaking gasket. I checked the fluid after all of this yesterday and it was full.

My question is - if it was the pinion bearing, would it suddenly go out like that? I do not recall hearing this noise before yesterday and my wife agreed that she never heard it before yesterday either. I haven't taken it down the road since so I do not know if the "jingling" noise is still present, but I assume that it is. I ordered a new seal, gear lube, and limited slip gear lube from O'Reilly's that I need to go pick up. I'll open up the rear end to inspect it, but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this before? Even with a limited slip differential, shouldn't I be able to turn the rear wheels if they are both off the ground?

Thanks in advance!

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can’t move drive wheels when in park…try neutral and a couple wheel chocks up front

If limited slip, wheels turn same direction. If open or Torsen limited slip, turn opposite direction

OP
OP
R

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just re-read my original post. The truck was in neutral - not park when I was trying to turn the tires. Sorry, that was an error on my part.

I took the truck for about a 5 mile trip yesterday and I didn't hear it. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but both my wife and I are certain we heard it the other day. I think I'm still going to pull the rear end just to take a look and see if there's anything in there that doesn't belong. I'm not sure if I should add limited slip lube or not? Looking for advice on that.

CoachK23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8 magnum
I just re-read my original post. The truck was in neutral - not park when I was trying to turn the tires. Sorry, that was an error on my part.

I took the truck for about a 5 mile trip yesterday and I didn't hear it. I'm not exactly sure what's going on, but both my wife and I are certain we heard it the other day. I think I'm still going to pull the rear end just to take a look and see if there's anything in there that doesn't belong. I'm not sure if I should add limited slip lube or not? Looking for advice on that.
Yes, it will not hurt it