Powerwagon thoughts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm thinking about upgrading to a 2011 Powerwagon that is for sale at my local dealership. Does anybody have one that could give me some insight on what they think about it as opposed to juat a regular 2500 with the Hemi? What kind of fuel mileage do you get and etc? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a coworker with a '12 PW. He absolutely loves the thing.

He does NOT love the MPGs that the huge truck and 4.56s produce though.
He claims he's never seen better than 13 MPG with it.

Sounds about right to me! haha!

(S.M.R) 101

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Hopfully Morgan will chime in on this. He has done all kind of MPG test and stuff and can give a great review about the PW's

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see 11mpg in city on winter blend. i was over 12mpg during the summer, could probably hit 13 if I tried. On flat highway with an 800 pound atv I get 16mpg.

If mpg is your goal, this truck is not for you. If having the most capable, badass off road factory truck is your goal, go get it. Yes I hate my mpg sometime, but I have not regretted buying my '12 PW for one second. I have had mine for about 8 months now and I still get excited every time I drive it.

I will be heading to the Easter Jeep Safari this year in Moab to put it through the paces.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Are you actually going to offroad, or at least pretend to do some serious offroading? Then the Power Wagon is worth the $$$ for the capability and the cool factor.

Anyone else would be better off with a standard half ton or 3/4 ton, depending on their other needs.

OP
OP
S

Samson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not really worried about the mpg...shoot my '04 1500 only gets 12 city & 16 hwy, and that's empty. I don't do a lot of highway driving...I work about five miles from where I live. The truck would be used more for pulling the camper, hauling my 750 king quad, and just all round huntin & fishin. I have to admit....the cool factor is a big part of the draw to the PW. hahaha I love all the features that the pw has....just wanted someone that actually had one to tell me what they thought instead of the salesman that probably hasn't ever took a truck in the woods huntin or fishin trying to tell me what it will do. Aggrevates me to ask a salesman a question and him have to look at a brochure before he can answer my question.

Last edited:

PowerWagon2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I absolutely loved my powerwagon. Miss the hell out of it sometimes. I HATED getting 6-8 MPG ALL THE TIME. Whether I was driving the highway or city I would always average between 6-8 mpg (Hand calculated). Now I did have a level, 20's and 35's. When it was stock I would average 12-15.

It was definitely a badass truck. If you can handle the MPG I say go for it!!!
ef740898.jpg

Joe's 2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I absolutely loved my powerwagon. Miss the hell out of it sometimes. I HATED getting 6-8 MPG ALL THE TIME. Whether I was driving the highway or city I would always average between 6-8 mpg (Hand calculated). Now I did have a level, 20's and 35's. When it was stock I would average 12-15.

It was definitely a badass truck. If you can handle the MPG I say go for it!!!
ef740898.jpg
Sorry my opinion, if they are worried about gas load one of those smart cars in the bed of the Powerwagon and save all the gas you want. This is a BAD A** truck!!!! just my opinion.:Rock on:

OP
OP
S

Samson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the input! That is one sweet pw! ...almost have to say it woulda been worth the 6-8 mpg. lol!

spankis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I would look into a used 2010+ 2500 4x4 with the Cummins Diesel, and do some shopping for Carli and Thuren offroad suspension products. Those trucks can be made very capable off-road machines, pretty easily. It doesn't hurt having 350hp and 650 lb-ft of torque, while still getting 15-16 mpg in stock form. If you live in a state where you can delete the emissions components from them, you can even see 18-19mpg!

My dad has a 2010 2500 with the cummins and loves it, though his is mostly stock.

PowerWagon2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would look into a used 2010+ 2500 4x4 with the Cummins Diesel, and do some shopping for Carli and Thuren offroad suspension products. Those trucks can be made very capable off-road machines, pretty easily. It doesn't hurt having 350hp and 650 lb-ft of torque, while still getting 15-16 mpg in stock form. If you live in a state where you can delete the emissions components from them, you can even see 18-19mpg!

My dad has a 2010 2500 with the cummins and loves it, though his is mostly stock.

That's what I did. Just bought a 2010 2500 Megacab 4x4 cummins. I love it!

OP
OP
S

Samson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't tell him where you're moving or he might try to buy the house next to you. LOL!!

Txhillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Dodge PowerWagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I get between 10-13 mpg with my 2012 on the hwy since I lifted it and put bigger tires on it. Before,I was getting 15-17 mpg on the highway.
It has always gotten around 10 mpg around town.

whatroads

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 QC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7 w/ 3.92
At one point I had a 2005 PW. Great truck. As others have said, the best mileage I got was on the highway @ 14 MPG w/ stock tires. As soon as I went to 35's mileage went out the window.

I'm a life long off roading Jeeper. I've built several of them. I felt the PW was simply too big for a lot of the wooded & rocky offroading areas in the Southern Midwest, (I'm not a fan of mudding). In my opinion, It would be much better suited to the Colorado and Western states areas.

I need to have a truck for a variety of uses a Jeep can not fulfill. That said, I'm considering upgrading to a used 2500 Cummins next. I like automatic lockers in the rear diff. Detroit has one available for the 11.5 inch R&P axle used in the Cummins 2500. If I need the additional front end articulation I have a wrench and sockets to disco the sway bar