Thirsty power wagon - solutions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

edub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2011 in the stable
Engine
hemi
Hi all. New here as a member but have been sneaking around site for a while for ideas.. a big question/issue im having is with the fuel economy on a 2011 power wagon. I need/want the bigger rubber, alot of the alberta oilfield driving access's make recreational 4x'ing look silly.. however cost of all this is crap mileage. Wondering what mods guys have done, CAI/ exhaust combos, recommended products, what the outcome has been, also chips/programmers, are these successful?? Big question - does the cost of work done cover the gains made??? cheers. -E

dogcar3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you had to do one thing, get a tuner. I went with a Bully Dog GT. Gave me about 1.3-1.4 MPG more in my daily commute. BUT, I also had supporting mods at the time (intake, y-pipe, throttle body).

But the best mod is free, just stay off the skinny pedal.

Captain McGillycutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you had to do one thing, get a tuner. I went with a Bully Dog GT. Gave me about 1.3-1.4 MPG more in my daily commute. BUT, I also had supporting mods at the time (intake, y-pipe, throttle body).

But the best mod is free, just stay off the skinny pedal.

Agreed, I went with the Diablo sport tuner saw about the same results

OP
OP
E

edub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 & 2011 in the stable
Engine
hemi
Thanks for tips guys.. Its actually been not THAT bad (weell.. lots of prius drivers would disagree)... im surprised, actually, i was expecting worse!!.. hwy driving there is a sweet spot and its not that fast.. be about 70mph or 110km/hr.. i was definitely interested in hearing about the tuners. Another PW buddy up here hasnt done any chipping, but has been doing some exhaust, plug, filter etc work and has big claims, i'll find out more and post it if anyones interested..

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
do you run ethanol free gas? i don't know what the pumps are like over there but here the 91 octane gas is the only stuff that is ethanol free. ethanol tends to bring fuel mileage down. i know in a couple of weeks i am hoping to test what type of mileage my dads 95 f150 will get with ethanol free gas since that is all that has been going in the tank lately. i am hoping to beat the 21mpg my dad has got and put those new eco boost trucks to shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedFlameRam