2014 Remote Start Install with Factory Harness Hood Latch Connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramcpu

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Has anyone installed the remote start kit (82214054) on a 2014 Express CC Ram that already had the connector taped back near the radiator and successfully used that connection for the hood latch sensor? I skipped using the kit's included hood latch harness because my truck already had the connector present. It was pretty corroded, but I cleaned it up with deoxit. I also tested the hood latch sensor and it gives different resistance values when closed and open, but no idea what the correct values are supposed to be.

I have everything installed and programmed by the dealer, but I'm getting "remote start canceled - hood open" when I try to use it.

The older version of the instructions dated 2/5/13 which I found linked on here says if the connector is present to use it, but on a second look the version that shipped with the kit is an updated version dated 7/28/15 and makes no mention of the pre-existing factory harness connection and only mentions to use the kit's included harness.

Before I go and install the additional harness, has anyone run into this with a 2014 and the remote start kit?

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Have you tried jumping the two wires either at the hood latch switch or at the module that the harness runs too? I am not familiar with this switch but I would imagine it would be either open or closed.

Also, can you post a pic of said hood latch switch and connector? I will be attempting this install soon.

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Have you tried jumping the two wires either at the hood latch switch or at the module that the harness runs too? I am not familiar with this switch but I would imagine it would be either open or closed.

Also, can you post a pic of said hood latch switch and connector? I will be attempting this install soon.

The hood latch switch is part of the hood latch. Your kit comes with a new latch that has the sensor on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
R

ramcpu

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7

The sensor shorts the line when the hood is open, and when the hood is closed it provides 1Kohm of resistance. I'm going to try a 1K resistor in place of the sensor tomorrow to rule out a bad latch/sensor assembly before I completely redo the harness.

I didn't get any pictures of it while I had the radiator cover off.

The hood latch switch is part of the hood latch. Your kit comes with a new latch that has the sensor on it.

Yes - brand new latch assembly with the sensor integrated.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The sensor shorts the line when the hood is open, and when the hood is closed it provides 1Kohm of resistance. I'm going to try a 1K resistor in place of the sensor tomorrow to rule out a bad latch/sensor assembly before I completely redo the harness.

I didn't get any pictures of it while I had the radiator cover off.

Yes - brand new latch assembly with the sensor integrated.

Good to know. I plan on bypassing the hood latch switch completely when I do my install.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
R

ramcpu

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
It turned out that the factory harness connection that was taped back near my radiator wasn't connected to pin 11 of the BCM C1 - not sure what, if anything, it is connected to. Installed the extra harness included with the kit and everything works fine now.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
It turned out that the factory harness connection that was taped back near my radiator wasn't connected to pin 11 of the BCM C1 - not sure what, if anything, it is connected to. Installed the extra harness included with the kit and everything works fine now.

Awesome!

Did you get a chance to try out the resistor?

How hard was it to run the harness?

Did you use the stock hood latch?

OP
OP
R

ramcpu

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 CC
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Awesome!

Did you get a chance to try out the resistor?

How hard was it to run the harness?

Did you use the stock hood latch?

It was easy. You can't use the stock hood latch - it has to be replaced with the one in the kit. The sensor can't be removed from the latch without destroying it.

I didn't try a resistor, but my truck sees the sensor now and remote start works correctly when the hood is down, and doesn't work when it's up, so the sensor is working fine.

Juanpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My remote starter is not working due to me trying to start my truck more than 2 times, they said it will not let you start the truck more than 2 times I don’t know why!! But now i get the message saying “remote Starter Aborted hood ajar” anyone know how to fix this problem? Hood is close like I said this happened after i try to start the truck more than twice in summer time when i had my dogs in the truck

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My remote starter is not working due to me trying to start my truck more than 2 times, they said it will not let you start the truck more than 2 times I don’t know why!! But now i get the message saying “remote Starter Aborted hood ajar” anyone know how to fix this problem? Hood is close like I said this happened after i try to start the truck more than twice in summer time when i had my dogs in the truck
Sounds to me like you have a connection problem. Check to make sure there is a good connection at the hood latch. Was it factory installed OEM or did someone else install?

IMG-5445.JPG

Juanpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Factory install, I tried to disconnect and connected again but I couldn’t get it out to be honest

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Factory install, I tried to disconnect and connected again but I couldn’t get it out to be honest

Corrosion. You could try some CRC Electrical Contact cleaner. Disconnect the battery then hit the connector with it to let it soak in and try again. Either that or replace the hood latch and harness. Locate the install pdf for your year and read up on it.

Juanpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you very much Ghost_RAM appreciate it, I will try that and I hope it works

Juanpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ghost_RAM thank you so much for the help, amazing to see people taking some time to help others, appreciate it, I replace the latch and is working fine again,

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ghost_RAM thank you so much for the help, amazing to see people taking some time to help others, appreciate it, I replace the latch and is working fine again,

No problem at all, glad it’s working for you!