DIY oem Led tail light upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
I just bought a set of Laramie LED tails from a 14 Laramie, I have a 14 ST. I also bought the harness adapters from Retro shop. I installed them and have a few questions and concerns.

Second I have serious concerns about the mori-**** resistors on the harness, it would have been nice if they came with some instructions and hardware as to where and how to mount them. I should note they get extremely hot, trust me. Right now I have them hanging down behind the rear bumper (I used one of smaller bolts for the bumper bracing to ground them) like a pair of testicles. Looking at them they do not seem terribly weatherproof, so attaching them underneath the truck somehow and I'm not sure how (not drilling holes in my truck) does not seem to be a good idea. On the other hand attaching them inside the tailgate cavity of the bed seems like a bad idea because of the heat build up.

Now I know many others have done this conversion, however I was unable to find any DIY write ups on it, if there are any please point me and for nay of you folks who have done this where and how did you mount the mori-**** resistors. And is there any better solution out there than these resistors.

Thanks
Cptwing

ufokillerz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think the ram truck builders guide states 9 or 10ohm 50w resistors.

I recently did a the CHMSL with the cargo cam, and getting the light out message.
i ordered some 10 ohm 100W resistors. The higher the rating, the more heat they can tolerate. I contemplated the morimoto ones, but for the same price i got a pair of higher rated resistors. Going to mount these either with sheet metal screws or something similar to a metal surface to help spread heat.

I did leds on one of my other cars, left the resistor dangling, still works fine, but it accidentally burnt some plastic piece.

OP
OP
cptwing

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
The funny part of that is I also installed the CHMSl cam oem one with cargo cam and I never got the bake light out message with the 3.5" evic dash, but I have since upgraded that to the 7" evic and now I get that. Weird how the lower cluster did not show the error, even though it does have the message display in it.

As far as that goes I know a guy who just put a 12 volt incandescent bulb on the brake circuit where it plugs into the CHMSL and that made the error go away, seems a better way than a dam resistor that gets to well over 180 degrees. Just measure them with a gun at 185.

Last edited: