DIY Power Folding Mirror Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So do you have to hold the switch until the mirrors reach their final point or can you just press it once and watch them go?
Do they have a pre-set detent they stop at?
Have you ever had a problem of one mirror moving faster than the other and over-running the desired position?

I only ask as I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of these from 1AAuto and know with my '13 I'll be manually wiring the fold option. If I need to wire them to separate switches I can order them all at once. Thanks.

With mine wired to the rear window switch i do have to hold it until they fold and unfold. With a momentary DPDT switch you would just press it to the detent and the mirrors would fold. Either way is quick and easy. The motors cut power once they have reached the folded or unfolded position and I have never had any issues with them going faster than one another or going past the folded or unfolded positions. With them wired up like this you can actually fold or unfold them half way or all the way. Not sure why you would only wanna go half way but you could lol. Hope this answers your questions. Let me know if you have any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mega-Hemi

US AIR FORCE '08-'18
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think that sums it up. But, a DPDT momentary switch is the same as your window switch. So, if you push and release the switch the mirrors should stop. I did not know the mirrors cut the power when they reached the final in or out position, I may be ably to use a constant DPDT if that is the case. As far as speed I just wasn't sure if one mirror would continue to travel past the "out" spot if the other mirror haddn't made it there yet. It appears it won't over-travel. Thank you for your response. Ordered my mirrors this morning, along with the support brackets. Now looking into the switch. Guess I need to decide on momentary or constant.

OP
OP

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think that sums it up. But, a DPDT momentary switch is the same as your window switch. So, if you push and release the switch the mirrors should stop. I did not know the mirrors cut the power when they reached the final in or out position, I may be ably to use a constant DPDT if that is the case. As far as speed I just wasn't sure if one mirror would continue to travel past the "out" spot if the other mirror haddn't made it there yet. It appears it won't over-travel. Thank you for your response. Ordered my mirrors this morning, along with the support brackets. Now looking into the switch. Guess I need to decide on momentary or constant.

The difference in the momentary DPDT switch and the rear window I have wired up is that there is no detent on the window switch. So as soon as I let off it cuts power. The momentary DPDT switch actually has a detent where when you press it, it stays depressed until you either push it back to neutral position in the center or the other direction to fold/unfold[emoji12]Glad this helped and good luck

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The difference in the momentary DPDT switch and the rear window I have wired up is that there is no detent on the window switch. So as soon as I let off it cuts power. The momentary DPDT switch actually has a detent where when you press it, it stays depressed until you either push it back to neutral position in the center or the other direction to fold/unfold[emoji12]Glad this helped and good luck

The momentary DPTD switches I installed in my door do not stay on unless I am pressing them just like your rear window switch. All of the (Momentary Switches) I have used have been this way. They are spring loaded and return to neutral when released. The only difference is I have two switches in my door to control the mirrors individually. To the best of my knowledge I don't think the motors will automatically cut off power if the switch is still being held down if you wire them directly . That is controlled by the door control module. When it senses a higher current draw as the motor hits full open or close it cuts power to the mirror motor and then reverses the polarity the next time the button is pressed. This is why the truck needs a,sales code added for the factory power fold option to work. Since we are not using the door modules for the power fold operation if you continue to hold the switch down the motor will just bind up and possibly fail.

Last edited:
OP
OP

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The momentary DPTD switches I installed in my door do not stay on unless I am pressing them just like your rear window switch. The only difference is I have two switches in my door to control the mirrors individually. To the best of my knowledge I don't think the motors will automatically cut off power if the switch is still being held down. That is controlled by the door control module. When it senses a higher current draw it cuts power to the mirror motor and then reverses the polarity the next time the button is pressed. Since we are not using the door modules for the power fold operation if you continue to hold the switch down the motor will just bind up and possibly fail.

Correct. Worded way better than me lol. The DPDT switches I ordered actually have a detent in them to just press and release. This is how I op checked my mirrors before installing. Once my mirrors reach the folded or unfolded position they won't go any further and the motor is no longer trying to power them. I opted to run mine to the single switch because I kinda couldn't see a scenario where I would only want to fold one mirror in at a time but Ricks method is also pretty cool in that you can do one or the other or both.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Adding a inline fuse ...solves the issue if you ....say.... perhaps...you were really excited that the mirrors work after you finished the mod, and are playing with them in the garage and might have been a little over zealous and depressed one of the buttons to long, to make sure you don't damage or burn anything out..... that's just a theory of course *smh*

OP
OP

12sportmc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Adding a inline fuse ...solves the issue if you ....say.... perhaps...you were really excited that the mirrors work after you finished the mod, and are playing with them in the garage and might have been a little over zealous and depressed one of the buttons to long, to make sure you don't damage or burn anything out..... that's just a theory of course *smh*

Just a theory...sounds like an oops lol. [emoji23][emoji23]just messing with ya man.

MaizeNBlue

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Worst part was, having to call Rick, to try and figure out why my mirrors were not working.... had me run some direct wires to trouble shoot..... thank god he is used to my stupid questions, issues and problems by now!

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Not sure if this is the correct area but, I am looking at a set of color match power mirrors with puddle lights and was wondering if I’d have to paint them to match or you can buy the color portion and swap them out. The mirrors I’m looking at are white and my truck is red. The asking price for the mirrors is $250, is that reasonable? Thanks

Alex_cad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 eco diesel
Not sure if this is the correct area but, I am looking at a set of color match power mirrors with puddle lights and was wondering if I’d have to paint them to match or you can buy the color portion and swap them out. The mirrors I’m looking at are white and my truck is red. The asking price for the mirrors is $250, is that reasonable? Thanks

Im not sure if you can order just the cover from the dealer, I would paint them.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

$250 is a good deal for OEM power fold mirrors. I plan to swap the chrome housings off my 18 Laramie mirrors to the flat black/non painted version in the next week or two and could possible work something out with you if you're interested. Or you could get them painted. Not sure if you could buy the color matched housings or not. Forum vendor AllMoparParts.com (Benny) may be able to find out for you.

M² Mods.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
$250 is a good deal for OEM power fold mirrors. I plan to swap the chrome housings off my 18 Laramie mirrors to the flat black/non painted version in the next week or two and could possible work something out with you if you're interested. Or you could get them painted. Not sure if you could buy the color matched housings or not. Forum vendor AllMoparParts.com (Benny) may be able to find out for you.

M² Mods.

That is what I really want if I was going to do this, Black. The ones I am looking at are white, I think I would end up to far into this money wise, for something I don't really need. Red or Black for the right price, I would probably do. Thanks for the info.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
That is what I really want if I was going to do this, Black. The ones I am looking at are white, I think I would end up to far into this money wise, for something I don't really need. Red or Black for the right price, I would probably do. Thanks for the info.
When I get home I'll check for PNs on the black plastic housings to see if it's something you might be able to order.

M² Mods.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So after reading this AGAIN, am I correct, if the sales codes can be flashed to my truck and I get the OEM switch module, this is all plug & play? I don't have to run any new wiring? Do I need to get any new harnesses or add on harnesses? The Flash codes I need are, LER, LEG, LEC & LEB?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you still looking at white mirrors? My truck is white but has the standard flat-black looking power mirrors....if ours are equivalent I wouldnt mind possibly trading for your white ones.

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Are you still looking at white mirrors? My truck is white but has the standard flat-black looking power mirrors....if ours are equivalent I wouldnt mind possibly trading for your white ones.

I am. Going to find out this week if my truck can be flashed for the proper sales codes. And how much the module is. I’ll let you know what happens.

Do you know if this what be a plug & play mod? Will I have to run any wires or get a new harness?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am. Going to find out this week if my truck can be flashed for the proper sales codes. And how much the module is. I’ll let you know what happens.

Do you know if this what be a plug & play mod? Will I have to run any wires or get a new harness?

Looking at the wiring diagrams for my 2017, there are 2 sets of mirrors: base and premium. Im not 100% sure of the differences, because even the "base" mirrors reference heat, auto dimming and (oddly enough) power folding

It looks like the wires would be blue and yellow coming from the door module (one module for each door)....if you can see them going near your current mirrors, it looks like its possible they are plug and play. You would still need the switch, though. I dont know, though, if there exist another set of mirrors (non-tow) that are wired differently.