DIY retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ptass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys need a little help. Looked a couple different times and couldn't find any forums about this problem. I did a retrofit myself, and ran into a few problems I had to splice the wires in that connect to the ballast. The major problem I am having is when I turn on my brights the voltage drops on my low beams from 12volts to 3 volts. The ballast requires a constant 12 volts.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
sounds like a possible grounding issue. Are you using relays to power the ballasts straight from the battery? I think that is the preferred method for most HID systems, while using a resistor to fool the CANbus monitoring.
Keep in mind that l too much or not enough current through the factory headlight wiring will cause errors and erratic voltages.

OP
OP
P

Ptass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No my ballast are wired directly into the headlight wire.

BadHabit2Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L
As stated above, there is a relay you will need to hook directly to the battery. When you bought your kit, was there an option to buy the relay also?

OP
OP
P

Ptass

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No, I purchased them from eBay. They are morimoto mini 7.0.