Mirror towing turn signal lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

noobie888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello I just got a 2014 ram 1500 after some lady ran a red light and totalled my 88 bronco. So I've switched from my bronco forum to this ram forum. I got my ram and it's in great condition but my lights on my mirror for turn signals and puddle lights don't work. I've never seen them work so I don't know why they don't work. I don't wanna buy new lights if it's a wiring or fuse issue. What do y'all think? Should I just test the wires with a meter to see if they are working? Or do I look for fuses if there are any?

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Should I just test the wires with a meter to see if they are working? Would I be checking for continuity or for volts?
You'll want to check for voltage at the connector going to the light. The turn signal and puddle lights on the towing mirrors are replaceable and there's a lot of aftermarket versions available.

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello I just got a 2014 ram 1500 after some lady ran a red light and totalled my 88 bronco. So I've switched from my bronco forum to this ram forum. I got my ram and it's in great condition but my lights on my mirror that I assumed were for turn signals don't work. I moved the mirrors and confirmed that they were wired. But because I've never seen them work I don't know weather it could be an electrical problem or just the lights burnt out. I don't wanna buy new lights if it's a wiring or fuse issue. What do y'all think? Should I just test the wires with a meter to see if they are working? Would I be checking for continuity or for volts?

both mirror lights?

found this....maybe it'll help:

Last edited:

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Did the truck originally come with the tow mirrors? It's possible the truck came with the base mirrors w\o the signals and the prev owner swapped them out and never activated them.

Do the approach lights work?

As suggested, I'd test voltage first.

OP
OP
noobie888

noobie888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did the truck originally come with the tow mirrors? It's possible the truck came with the base mirrors w\o the signals and the prev owner swapped them out and never activated them.

Do the approach lights work?

As suggested, I'd test voltage first.
I would assume the mirrors came stock because I also have the tow/ hall package which I would assume would come with those mirrors

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
I would assume the mirrors came stock because I also have the tow/ hall package which I would assume would come with those mirrors

You can put your VIN in at this site to get the build sheet and it should tell you,

Here's what mine shows as far as the exterior mirrors go:

MIRRORS-TOW PWR ADJ HEAT BLACK
ALL VEHICLES W/POWER MIRRORS
EXT. MIRRORS W/SUPPLEMENTAL SIGNALS
EXTERIOR MIRRORS COURTESY LAMPS

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So you have actual tow mirrors, as in they flip out to a wider setting? I will say those are that common from the factory on a 1500. Just about every 1500 series trucks has a tow hitch and a trailer wiring harness, but very few have towing mirrors.

OP
OP
noobie888

noobie888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So you have actual tow mirrors, as in they flip out to a wider setting? I will say those are that common from the factory on a 1500. Just about every 1500 series trucks has a tow hitch and a trailer wiring harness, but very few have towing mirrors.
Mine are tow mirrors and they do flip out to the wider setting plus I have a tow/haul button which is probably from a towing package that the mirrors also came with so the mirrors are probably stock. Are there fuses for these mirror lights?(turn signals and puddle)

OP
OP
noobie888

noobie888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can put your VIN in at this site to get the build sheet and it should tell you,

Here's what mine shows as far as the exterior mirrors go:

MIRRORS-TOW PWR ADJ HEAT BLACK
ALL VEHICLES W/POWER MIRRORS
EXT. MIRRORS W/SUPPLEMENTAL SIGNALS
EXTERIOR MIRRORS COURTESY LAM
I think all mine said about mirrors was
"POWER HEATED MIRRORS, FOLD-AWAY"
However I have both the puddle light, the turn signal and they flip sideways so the mirror is vertical for towing and I have a tow/haul button yet the mirror lights don't work so idk

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Mine are tow mirrors and they do flip out to the wider setting plus I have a tow/haul button which is probably from a towing package that the mirrors also came with so the mirrors are probably stock. Are there fuses for these mirror lights?(turn signals and puddle)

Not necessarily, my 2010 1500 has the tow package, with the tow/haul button and factory hitch receiver, and it did not have tow mirrors. Either the lights are bad, not that uncommon, or the truck didn't originally come with them and they are not activated.

OP
OP
noobie888

noobie888

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gotcha is there anyway to check if there activated or if the lights are bad?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Gotcha is there anyway to check if there activated or if the lights are bad?

First thing I'd do is check the link I posted above and get the build sheet, make sure it did, in fact, come with the lighted mirrors.

If you or somebody you know has AlfaOBD, you can check it yourself, and acticate them if they are not, otherwise, a trip to the dealer.

Quite a bit of reading to get thru this, but explains AlfaOBD pretty thoroughly.