How to hardwire radar detector, or really anything else

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trupiano

Reaction score
Hometown : Puyallup,WA Stationed : Little Rock,
Ram Year
2010 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD Crew Cab
Engine
6.7L CTD
Hey guys found this badass how to! It shows how to hardwire your radar detector or whatever you need to the back plug of your auto dimming mirror. Just did this and it worked awesome!

Here's the how to:
Speedy's Garage

and here's the pics after I was done! One note: the power wire he showed in his picture, was not the actual power wire on my plug. So checking with a multi-meter is very important before connecting!

bigtigga84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's pretty damn nifty, just sucks I don't have the auto mirror lol. But still cool

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
ha thats the only thing my auto mirror will ever be used for. i like that it turns off and on with the truck and looks so clean. trup did you put a fuse on yours? i bought a wire kit that came with one so i installed it.

OklaHemi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
new age hemi
man i got excited when i saw the blenmount because i have been looking for something like that for a long time. then i saw the price. 89.00 for a holder come on man

LB3711

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Nice location. I like.

Sent from my AT&T iPhone 4.

Saunders1986

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
can you do me a favor? take a pic of the plug where u inserted the pins? or tell me what color wires you tapped for power and ground.

gc_harvey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yeah, I got real excited about it, cause I hate having my radar down low and all of the wire stretching across my dash... then I saw the price. Huge disappointment and rip-off..

man i got excited when i saw the blenmount because i have been looking for something like that for a long time. then i saw the price. 89.00 for a holder come on man

Rarasaurus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just did this mod tonight but did it differently and cheaply. I cut my 12v adapter and used that wire. I wired it to the rear sliding window control inside the overhead console. There are only 3 wires there so its easy to find ground and hot on ignition. There is also a flat part on top of the mirror. I was able to Velcro the radar detector there and it is secure. The mirror still moves around and c an be adjusted freely.

Rarasaurus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Here are two crappy cell phone pictures to give you an idea.

yendor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, I gotta do this on my truck and my wife's Charger. Super clean!

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I can only wish. Radar detectors are verbotten in Virginia.

Casper

U.S. Navy (Ret.)
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
VA Troopers and Radar

That U-Tube video is hillarious. I've often thought it would be easy to hardwire one into the vehicle, but knowing they can counter detect it takes all the fun out of it. Heck with I-95 and I-81 going to 70 mph, I really don't have mush to worry about from radar--I just let a jack rabbit from Maryland get in front of me and I get a free pass when he gets nailed.:idiot:

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This should be mandatory to keep things neat & tidy, providing you don't have to move the detector from car to car.
My 1st car ('87 VW Fox) I ripped the detector apart and flush-mounted the display into the dash, centered under the wheel and the photo eye to the back of my rear view mirror. I wish I owned a camera back then; it was SWEET but I would be scared to do that to a nice vehicle these days; it was a lot of multi-wire cable to run around the cabin.

redsand

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.5 Ecoboost
I have an 8500 but its gone all haywire and just beeps constantly, it was an awesome detector until it started doing that. Have you guys seen the remote deal some people do with the valentine display IN the rear view mirror?
Just did a Google search apparently there is a company that does these for others too. Kinda a neat idea.

V1