How To: Install Maxtrac Leveling 2wd kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
How To: Install Maxtrac 2wd Leveling kit

Installed mine today so here goes.

1. Order the kit (splurge a little more for the bilstein 5100's over the maxtrack ones)

2. Receive the kit in the mail

3. Take it to a shop and have them put it on.

:flipthebird:

Seriously though, this was a total pain in the ass. I am pretty mechanically inclined and love doing stuff like this normally. First off there isn't anything wrong with the actual kit, so this is not a rant on maxtrac, its just the actual process of doing this, with the spring compressor and what not if i could go back to this morning i would have paid the $280 that ORW quoted me to install it. This was my first time ever using a spring compressor and to be honest it was a bit nerve racking at first once i started to realize how much tension there actually was on the spring and all the stories i have heard of people taking those things to the face, so i was pretty careful. getting the upper control arms to let lose from the spindle was a bit frustrating then the lower control arm wont open far enough to allow the new spring in even after it was compressed, at least as far as i could get it to so it took two people, one pushing on the lower control arm while the other fought the coil in just terrified of what would happen if the compressor let lose. After the spring was in getting it to seat in the factory isolator was hard (only got the drivers side to sit in right) then had to do the ole chain trick where you wrap a chain around the jack and the upper control arm to get the spindle to move up far enough to get the nut back on the upper ball joint. then once that was all done i thought it would be smooth sailing but of course the bilsteins didnt just go right in because the saddle pin had to be pressed in so i had to bust out the grinder to tapper one side and grease it up and talk dirty to it to get it through. that was one side. the other side went much quicker accept for the fact that the spring compressor got stuck inside the coil after i had it in and i had to fight like hell with it and finally said **** it and bust out the grinder and cut that ***** out of there, so i called o'reilly to see what the tool would cost if i didnt return it, they gave me a number i was fine with but ill return it anyways, ha. Long day but all is well its done but unfortunately i didn't get done in time to go get the wheels and tires put on so that first thing in the morning. a few pictures....

the compressor stuck, just before i cut it.
IMG_3370_zpsfliciinh.jpg
IMG_3371_zpsu4jjfdhv.jpg

what it looks like
IMG_3375_zpsadokbq2u.jpg

the saddle pin the for lower mount of the bilstein i had to take a grinder to.
IMG_3373_zpsacw3ladc.jpg

think they will notice?
IMG_3380_zpsg3w85v1t.jpg

how she sits.
IMG_3376_zpscdkb6jdo.jpg

will post pics after a wash and the wheels and tires are on tomorrow

if anyone is looking to buy this kit, i think im one of the first to run it and i can answer any questions or give a full how to write up since i figured the right way to do it.

Last edited:

castires

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you explain the chain trick? I just tried to install a 2.5" spacer and couldn't get the ball joint remotely close to being installed.

Also, how much were the bilsteins?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
I did the same install a few weekends back. I am just like you, very mechanically inclined and always do my own installs but man was this a pain in the ass install! I used the same compressor from oreillys and it is sketchy as hell tightening the coils. Those springs are so tightly coiled that I was afraid the compressor was going to fly off at any moment.

One tip/trick that helped me is that if you loosen the lower control arm bolts the arm will start to drop even lower which helps seat the coils in.

I am still using the stock shocks and the ride is a little firmer but has gotten better over the past 2 weeks but still not stock. How's your ride with the bilsteins?? I cant decide if I should go with those bilsteins or some 2500 shocks. I just want a softer ride again.

OP
OP
R

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Can you explain the chain trick? I just tried to install a 2.5" spacer and couldn't get the ball joint remotely close to being installed.

Also, how much were the bilsteins?

Get a nice beefy chain and wrap it around a jack (I went around the axle of the front wheels on it) and then up around the upper control arm attach the chain by making a full loop and use a nice strong bolt, nut, and washers to attach the two end links then jack on the bottom of the lower control arm, have someone guide the spindle to slide onto the upper ball joint the chain keeps the entire truck from lifting.

OP
OP
R

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I did the same install a few weekends back. I am just like you, very mechanically inclined and always do my own installs but man was this a pain in the ass install! I used the same compressor from oreillys and it is sketchy as hell tightening the coils. Those springs are so tightly coiled that I was afraid the compressor was going to fly off at any moment.

One tip/trick that helped me is that if you loosen the lower control arm bolts the arm will start to drop even lower which helps seat the coils in.

I am still using the stock shocks and the ride is a little firmer but has gotten better over the past 2 weeks but still not stock. How's your ride with the bilsteins?? I cant decide if I should go with those bilsteins or some 2500 shocks. I just want a softer ride again.

The entire kit, coils and shocks was $315. It's hard to tell the drivers side doesn't seem bad, infact it's pretty smooth but the passenger side is clunking which is the side that the coil didn't seat well in, so I think that may be the issue I'll drive it for a few days and if it doesn't go away I'll take it to a shop and just have them redo the one side.

OP
OP
R

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I got the wheels mounted this morning and it looks great and no trimming necessary and I have 2" mcgauhys drop springs in the back to give it a very slight stance as I don't like static leveled trucks. It's getting aligned now.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Pics when wheel are done.
I had a shop do my spacer install, he said it was a pain, only charged me $175.00

OP
OP
R

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Pics when wheel are done.
I had a shop do my spacer install, he said it was a pain, only charged me $175.00

didn't get to it today, got a newborn in the house so got put on baby duty. will bust out the nikon tomorrow and take some nice pictures.

Thanks for sharing man.

yeah, hopefully people dont take this the wrong way and steer away from the level kit, i should probably write up a how to anyways.

Last edited:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a big ass pry bar when I did my spacers. Helped tremendously.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

castires

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm going to give it another try this weekend using the chain method. Hopefully I'll have success with that.

I can tell it's still going to be a pain in the ass due to the angle of the arms and how the spring has to be seated.

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm going to give it another try this weekend using the chain method. Hopefully I'll have success with that.

I can tell it's still going to be a pain in the ass due to the angle of the arms and how the spring has to be seated.

My trick was to pry the spring into the retainer and hold it there while i slowly jack up the lower control arm. Once it has enough weight rip the pry bar out. Make sure your jack is on the furthest point of the lower control arm when you jack it back up to get the upper control arm back on.

castires

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did any of you loosen the lower control arm to get a bit more wiggle room?

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine

I did. You dont have to back them completely out. Once you start to loosen them the lower arm will start to drop.

OP
OP
R

Ryan1126

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi

no i just had a buddy push down on the spindle and it gave me just enough clearance.

Is your truck 2WD or 4x4? I thought the 5100's were only for 4X4 models.

its 2wd. bilstein 5100's are a series, the silver body. the 4wd have the coil over style that is adjustable, the 2wd style isn't adjustable.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
DANG nice looking truck...love the background, where in Cali?