My HID Install for Under $100 (with Pics!)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Possibly because the stock harness is only connected on that side. I'll remove the resistor on that side and post back. Would the "light bulb out" error resolve itself or would I have to do something to get it to turn off?(when fixed)

It will go away on its own

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
The error is still there after bypassing the resistor. Thoughts on my mentioned method above?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I tried to wire to the same factory harness wire and it still said it. So the only other thing I can think of is to wire into a whole second relay.... Which I think I've seen the Retroshop harnesses have two relays...

Iczer

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Dodge Ram Black Express
Engine
Not sure about 2015, but I installed the DDM Tunning ultra canbus kit without a hitch and only spent $115. Have not had any issues since. Contemplating putting them into my fogs.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Was cleaning out the garage and found this(Section B). Thinking of giving it a try or looking at known working kits to compare parts. Since I got it from Amazon, it's easily return/refundable, so will do some more testing...
KhKFrzR.jpg

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
I think I figured it out now. I need to get a second relay for the second factory headlight plug. I can install every part known to man, but it won't make a difference if that second factory plug is sitting there in the housing disconnected. So I'm going to wire two relays together and use them together. I got the idea from this:
Dual Relay Harness - DistantXtremes Lighting

Edit: I think this guy beat me to the idea... it's exactly what I need... http://www.ramforum.com/f75/diy_dual_relay_dual_trigger_harness-44149/

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Dang, I wired a whole second relay to the passenger low beam and still have the same error message - any ideas?

Also, I think that picture of the headlamp out on the dash is a generic picture. I unplugged the factory lead from my driver side so only the passenger side HID was working and it was the same picture. I think it's just a generic "something is wrong with your headlight" error message.

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hate to say this, but you should have just spent the extra cash and got your kit form JJ @ Retroshop or from Enlight. You would have got what you needed right from the start, spent a fraction of the time, and had none of the headache. There is a reason these kits for the 15 aren't available in abundance.

You said you have prime right? Just send all that crap back and get you a quality kit designed specifically for your MY15 truck.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Hate to say this, but you should have just spent the extra cash and got your kit form JJ @ Retroshop or from Enlight. You would have got what you needed right from the start, spent a fraction of the time, and had none of the headache. There is a reason these kits for the 15 aren't available in abundance.

You said you have prime right? Just send all that crap back and get you a quality kit designed specifically for your MY15 truck.

Right. I consider myself as only having spent the $70 something for the HID kit... the rest is all returnable. At this point, it's more of mystery solving to me.

When you say a kit for my MY15 truck, do you mean one of the two mentioned above?

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Right. I consider myself as only having spent the $70 something for the HID kit... the rest is all returnable. At this point, it's more of mystery solving to me.

When you say a kit for my MY15 truck, do you mean one of the two mentioned above?

Yes, Retro Shop is selling kits now specifically engineered for the MY15 RAM with the finicky CANBUS system. Several member on here are running them with zero problem. They are a bit pricey but I can promise you they are of the highest quality, JJ stands behind his products, and you will get what you pay for.
2015+ Dodge Ram HIDs

Enlight Automotive also has a new kit out specifically for the MY15 RAM.
2015+ Dodge Ram Xenon HID Kit - Custom made by ENLIGHT – Enlight Automotive

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Yes, Retro Shop is selling kits now specifically engineered for the MY15 RAM with the finicky CANBUS system. Several member on here are running them with zero problem. They are a bit pricey but I can promise you they are of the highest quality, JJ stands behind his products, and you will get what you pay for.
2015+ Dodge Ram HIDs

Enlight Automotive also has a new kit out specifically for the MY15 RAM.
2015+ Dodge Ram Xenon HID Kit - Custom made by ENLIGHT – Enlight Automotive

I'd be curious how these kits get wired up. I understand the relays have resistors built into them and other stuff... but all of the relays I see only have one factory headlamp plug, which I can't understand how it would work properly without the vehicle getting a "signal" to the harness.

Milt IV

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd be curious how these kits get wired up. I understand the relays have resistors built into them and other stuff... but all of the relays I see only have one factory headlamp plug, which I can't understand how it would work properly without the vehicle getting a "signal" to the harness.

click on that link i provided for Enlight and on that page there is a tab for "video" and it has a 36min vid of the install on the 2015. I just watched it lol.

EDIT- Here you go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGraAqqmelM

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
WELP... I sent EVERYTHING back except the basic $60 HID kit and bought this harness:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOX56H0?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

It works AS EXPECTED with just that single harness. The passenger side has a resistor that connects to the factory harness standalone. The driver side resistor is wired into the relay harness. Here's where I installed them on both sides.

oeb4aVK.jpg
paZW7gH.jpg

SOOOOO in conclusion... the HID system still ended up costing under $100 and if anyone has any questions, I'd be more than happy to help. I know what not to do, what to do, what parts will work and what parts won't....

Ox1500Sport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Folks ... I have a HID kit that I "removed" from my truck due to the "bulb out" message (annoys me). It's for a 2013-14 with Projector Head Lamps.

I had it on eBay .. no bids. I'll send to someone interested for free, just pay the shipping. Go to eBay, search "completed listings" for "used ram HID". You should see the ad & pics.

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Are you still using the awful quad headlights though? That throw light absolutely everywhere and are assuredly blinding oncoming drivers?

Yes, until I spend the money on the Projector headlights... which should be soon actually... I'm just waiting for my refund for another purchase... then I'm going to do a smoked housing projector headlamp housing. Are they the same bulbs as the quad?

toppyw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, until I spend the money on the Projector headlights... which should be soon actually... I'm just waiting for my refund for another purchase... then I'm going to do a smoked housing projector headlamp housing. Are they the same bulbs as the quad?

Different bulbs. Also when you say smoked are you talking about the lens?

OP
OP
jgruberman

jgruberman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0L
Different bulbs. Also when you say smoked are you talking about the lens?

No, the actual housing components like a black chrome inside. I thought that's what I ordered earlier but they just shipping me a headlight housing with a tinted lens... Which I sent right back for a refund.

I want to be getting something like this : http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51sa4HibrTL._SY400_.jpg