Sales Codes to be Flashed/Added?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I couldn't get the DRL to work. I think it also wants the country code changed. I'm going to mess with it again when I put my projectors in. I want to run the dedicated DRL feed (as opposed to dimmed low beams) since I have the DD switchback with white DRLs.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I couldn't get the DRL to work. I think it also wants the country code changed. I'm going to mess with it again when I put my projectors in. I want to run the dedicated DRL feed (as opposed to dimmed low beams) since I have the DD switchback with white DRLs.

I have the quads and want to run a switchback as the drl in the stock blinker spot. Again I want to mess with them but havent had the drive to go in and mess with something that I do not know the outcomes.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
As for the shift buttons, they're not going to work with a BCM change. The BCM sees them and they're present on the CAN bus but the trans controller for the 6 speeds does respond to them. The CAN bus message for the stalk button is different. There's a video here of me doing some testing where I hijacked the cruise control buttons to do the gears since I didn't have the switch with the gear buttons installed. The two conflict with each other though.

I prototyped a hardware solution for it but never put the effort into making a real board because I figured I'd be the only one interested in it.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
There are 4 or 5 options for DRL in there. No idea what they do yet, one night when I remember I was going to run through them to see what they do.

The steering wheel buttons, do you have a shift stalk or rotary knob? Im curious as well. I know there is someone with the stalk and installed the wheel with the buttons and they do not work.

I had installed a steering wheel that had the + - gear on it a year or two ago the cruise buttons worked fine but the gear buttons did nothing. I did see it in there recently. I was not going to bother with it since I have 3500 dually, no need to run thru the gears. I do have the buttons on the column shifter anyways. I imagined they might conflict anyway. Well 00R/T just confimed that.

Last edited:

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I had installed a steering wheel that had the + - gear on it a year or two ago the cruise buttons worked fine but the gear buttons did nothing. I did see it in there recently. I was not going to bother with it since I have 3500 dually, no need to run thru the gears. I do have the buttons on the column shifter anyways. I imagined they might conflict anyway. Well 00R/T just confimed that.

The problem with them conflicting is that the column shift buttons don't just send out their value when they're pressed. Rather, they do it at some interval. So, it's constantly saying "I'm not being pressed right now". I had an Arduino connected to the CAN bus and when I received the message from the steering wheel switches I'd sent out the corresponding message from the column switch. But, the BCM was still sending it out too. So, the other modules were seeing it bounce between what I was sending and the "not pressed" message from the BCM and was getting confused.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is that one of the reasons the column switch always seemed slow, delayed and not ver responsive?

Could be. I just find it awkward to use, which is why I was trying to get the buttons working. I'm probably going to do a floor shift conversion soon anyway so it'll be a moot point.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Could be. I just find it awkward to use, which is why I was trying to get the buttons working. I'm probably going to do a floor shift conversion soon anyway so it'll be a moot point.

Is yours a two or four wheeler? Mine has the T case shifter on the floor, so I was SOL on going with a hard console. I agree the column shifter +- buttons suck, they are in an awkward spot and the response is slow.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
Thanks for all the feedback on the GEAR +/- buttons. My leather wheel upgrade was out of an 8 speed 1500. I have a 3500 DRW CCLB 4X4 68RFE Tradesman. I also find the the stalk buttons awkward and slow to respond but I don't care about the performance. I use the buttons when I tow my camper and I with jump between 4-5-6 depending on the terrain. Route 80 west in NJ has 5 or 6 steep grades where I will lock out 6th but on long flats I go back to 6. I don't like diverting my attention to the shift stalk.
It makes sense that it is a common serial communications protocol that polls the network at some set time period. One of my products at work is an x-ray collimator and the serial comms system polls the faceplate and network at 100ms to determine if any action needs to be taken. I wonder though if an interface could be created to intercept the stalk or just add to it. As long as the same command string is transmitted it might work.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I wonder though if an interface could be created to intercept the stalk or just add to it. As long as the same command string is transmitted it might work.

That's what I was doing. The problem is that you can't stop the messages that are already being sent. Since the BCM is what reads the stalk switch, you can't stop the messages it puts on the bus. You can add to them, but then you have messages that don't agree flooding the bus and the truck doesn't like it.

Like I said, I already prototyped a solution that works. If there are a few others interested I'd consider laying out an actual board and maybe having a few made.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Is yours a two or four wheeler? Mine has the T case shifter on the floor, so I was SOL on going with a hard console. I agree the column shifter +- buttons suck, they are in an awkward spot and the response is slow.

It's a 4x4 but has the electronic selector dial on the dash. Next mod for you? [emoji41]

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
It's a 4x4 but has the electronic selector dial on the dash. Next mod for you? [emoji41]

No I will stick with my jump seat and floor shifter, stupid part is I have this huge console around the T case shifter, so the jump seat is nice but there is no where for the middle passenger to put their feet.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
No I will stick with my jump seat and floor shifter, stupid part is I have this huge console around the T case shifter, so the jump seat is nice but there is no where for the middle passenger to put their feet.
Plus that console prevents the installation of the DASH DRAWER. The front part of the console is a completely different shape and it is narrower than the lower closeout. But this is off topic.

00R/T were you able to determine the polling frequency of the CAN system? I suppose that is were high speed and low speed come into play. I bet you could come up with something that could live on the OBD connector to fool the BCM without making it mad. Its probably not a huge demand item but it could be. Some would make a mod because they can (cough me cough) but I like useful ones too...

GraniteCrystal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
cptwing- Do you think you could tell me exactly what you bought from autoenginuity. I am very interested in not having to go to the dealer to get sales codes activated!

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all, I need a little help. 3rd Gen here, but my problem is in line with this thread.

I recently followed a how to on adding steering wheel audio controls to my 2008 Ram 1500 SLT. It involved adding the controls, the factory harness, and then running 2 new wires off of the clock spring. 1 wire to ground, 1 wire to the harness on the back of the gauge cluster. Since it is an 08, it's CAN-BUS, so it has to be activated by the dealership. I was fully aware of this going into this project. 3rd Gen's that have done this in the past have had the dealership contact WIC, add sales code RDZ (steering wheel controls), and then update via dealerconnect.

I talked to the dealership, and talked to the service manager about this. I explained everything to him, and scheduled an appointment. I went in this morning and he said it shouldn't take long. 5 minutes later, he called me back to his office and said it couldn't be done. He showed me dealerconnect on his computer. He had plugged my VIN in and said RDZ was not available. He showed me a drop down menu that had REC, Uconnect, Nav, etc. and said that if it was available it would be listed in that menu.

I asked if he could contact Chrysler and have it added to the VIN, and he acted like he wan't sure. He said he would try them and call me back on Monday. So the question is, would AutoEnginuity have this code available and could I upload it myself? Also, he is the service manager. Would he have the ability to add this code himself, or does somebody at WIC have to do it? Once the code is added, will it show up in the drop down menu of items that he showed me? I feel like he is willing to help, I just want to make sure I am giving him the correct information.

Thanks for any help.

00R/T

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Hello all, I need a little help. 3rd Gen here, but my problem is in line with this thread.

I recently followed a how to on adding steering wheel audio controls to my 2008 Ram 1500 SLT. It involved adding the controls, the factory harness, and then running 2 new wires off of the clock spring. 1 wire to ground, 1 wire to the harness on the back of the gauge cluster. Since it is an 08, it's CAN-BUS, so it has to be activated by the dealership. I was fully aware of this going into this project. 3rd Gen's that have done this in the past have had the dealership contact WIC, add sales code RDZ (steering wheel controls), and then update via dealerconnect.

I talked to the dealership, and talked to the service manager about this. I explained everything to him, and scheduled an appointment. I went in this morning and he said it shouldn't take long. 5 minutes later, he called me back to his office and said it couldn't be done. He showed me dealerconnect on his computer. He had plugged my VIN in and said RDZ was not available. He showed me a drop down menu that had REC, Uconnect, Nav, etc. and said that if it was available it would be listed in that menu.

I asked if he could contact Chrysler and have it added to the VIN, and he acted like he wan't sure. He said he would try them and call me back on Monday. So the question is, would AutoEnginuity have this code available and could I upload it myself? Also, he is the service manager. Would he have the ability to add this code himself, or does somebody at WIC have to do it? Once the code is added, will it show up in the drop down menu of items that he showed me? I feel like he is willing to help, I just want to make sure I am giving him the correct information.

Thanks for any help.

It's hard to say whether the AutoEnginuity would be able to until someone connects it to a third gen truck.

As for the "official" way, if it's not in the drop down on DealerCONNECT, there's nothing the dealer can do until corporate adds it to your VIN. I've heard it's even harder to get codes added as of late, and I believe it now goes through some regional center instead of WIC. I haven't personally confirmed that though.

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Rats!

Anyone in Central Texas with an autoenginuity? 00R/T, when you hook your AE up to your truck, does it list RDZ?

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Rats!

Anyone in Central Texas with an autoenginuity? 00R/T, when you hook your AE up to your truck, does it list RDZ?

It shows the sales codes based off what can be flashed to your truck, RDZ isnt a sales code for 2013+ trucks. It also doesnt list sales codes, but the option; so I would imagine if it did it would be "Wheel mounted audio controls" or something like that

lharrell79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It shows the sales codes based off what can be flashed to your truck, RDZ isnt a sales code for 2013+ trucks. It also doesnt list sales codes, but the option; so I would imagine if it did it would be "Wheel mounted audio controls" or something like that

I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about the dealer's program, or autoenginuity? At this point, I'm not sure Chrysler even offers support like this for 3rd gen rams. The service manager I worked with this morning wasn't sure either. He even said since it's 9 years old, and they don't use Starscan anymore, that it might not be possible.

If I were able to get someone at Chrysler corporate to add the RDZ code to my VIN, what exactly would show up in the dealers software? Would it say:

RDZ, audio controls, steering wheel controls, etc?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodie1990