Truck won't start!! HeLp!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

millerjkjb1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport SL 4x4 5.9L
I just bought this a few weeks ago for my wife, the cruise control wasn't working so I searched and seen I could clean it and it might work. So I took the cruise control servo off and cleaned the solenoid area and put it back together. I didn't pay attention when I took it out to which way it went in. I put it in and took it for a test drive and got about a mile down the road and the headlights went out, engine light came on, ABS light came on, brake light came on, smelled something burning, and it acted like it was going to die. This was 10:30 pm so I couldn't raise the hood to see anything so I got it back home and parked it and there it sits and won't start now. I thought I put the solenoid part in backwards so I switched it and it still won't start. After searching I did find the part that smelled like it burnt (the FCM) and replaced it and the cruise control servo. The truck still will not start. Only now when I try to start it the passenger headlight lights up when I put the key in ACC but when I try to start it the headlight goes out and the amber light is on. The driver headlight doesn't come on. Also, I am not getting fuel to the engine. I have replaced the fuel pump relay and when I push the thing on the fuel rail no fuel comes out. Any help?

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check your fuses. Use a test light, don't just pull them out and look at them. You want to make sure you're getting power to both sides of the fuse with the key on. You should have a fuse box under the hood and another one under the dash somewhere. If it started acting funny and you smelled smoke then it sounds like something got cooked. Also check the codes to see what set the CEL

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

millerjkjb1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We have tried to check the codes but the scanner doesn't pull any codes. The engine light comes on. Then we try to start it it goes out. Then we try again it flashes. Then we try again it goes out. There is no pattern to it just randomly either flashes, off, or on. We will check the fuse box to make sure the fuses are getting power, but we don't have one under dash just under hood.
Thanks.

Demon-HeMi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2003, 2008, & 2013
Engine
(2) 5.7 HEMI, 3.7, & 3.6
look for any messed up grounds as well

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Can you check the codes by cycling the key from off to on to off to on to off to on and leaving it there? (on, not start).

This should make the odometer cycle through all the codes.

OP
OP
M

millerjkjb1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We don't get any codes no matter what we do. We did check the fuses and they are getting power but while we did that we took the fuse box out and disconnected the wiring harnesses from the back of fuse box and one smelled burnt so we took it out and got a used fuse box today from junk yard. We are going to install it tonight. Hopefully that is what is wrong and not the harness itself. That will be a pain to change. Thanks for all the input and help.

OP
OP
M

millerjkjb1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
We put the fuse box on tonight and it started right up! Thanks for the help. If it wasn't for you saying to test each fuse we might not have noticed even with the new FCM it still smelled burnt and to replace the fuse box. We can not lock the truck without the key in ACC, on, or truck started. If the key is out of ignition the locks don't work. Fob or actual lock button. Also no interior lights. And my radio doesn't work. Any suggestions with those?