BBK throttle body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2012Ram15004x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone installed a BBK throttle body on their truck? They offer a 85mm and a 90mm. They claim a 12-24 hp gain. I wondering if this upgrade is worth the 500$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
The 85mm BBK TB is not needed until you're at full bolt-ons, and the 90mm is overkill for most trucks. If your mod list is accurate I'd stick with a ported TB because you don't require the additional volume flow and will be better off with the higher intake velocity that the ported TB will give you. I only upgraded to the 85mm BBK when I was running a 150 shot of nitrous and the 90mm when I started running my F-1A Procharger.

OP
OP

2012Ram15004x4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 85mm BBK TB is not needed until you're at full bolt-ons, and the 90mm is overkill for most trucks. If your mod list is accurate I'd stick with a ported TB because you don't require the additional volume flow and will be better off with the higher intake velocity that the ported TB will give you. I only upgraded to the 85mm BBK when I was running a 150 shot of nitrous and the 90mm when I started running my F-1A Procharger.

So your saying I'll gain about the same HP with just porting as I would the 85mm? Also I just got an AFE throttle body spacer. Should I get headers first before doing any kind of throttle body changes?

charonblk07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
F1-A forged 349ci
So your saying I'll gain about the same HP with just porting as I would the 85mm? Also I just got an AFE throttle body spacer. Should I get headers first before doing any kind of throttle body changes?

The TB spacer is a waste of money unless you're planning to tap it for nitrous; our style of intake has zero added benefit from a TB spacer.

With the ported vs true bore throttle bodies you'll see gains depending on what other mods you have; remember mods are cumulative, not additive. For most people with absolutely every bolt on you will see a top-end gain (peak HP) with an 85mm TB over a ported TB but you trade that off with a slight decrease in the bottom end because of lower intake velocity. A ported TB will be better in the bottom end but will have a volume flow restriction in the top end. Bigger is not better with TBs, you want one sized to your needs and desired driving style.

Marciel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think they fabricate their gains a bit but the bbk throttle body looks nice. I would have got one but the smog shop would call me on it. I have the Moe's performance 87 mm because it is stock on the outside so they don't know.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Id get headers and a Custom tune before a TB , thats what I did and once my Tune was dialed in I never saw the need to even get a TB

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
We built a 460 HP stock CID 5.7, and dyno'd it. we used the most aggressive comp cam on the shelf, and long tube truck headers, and aftermarket ECM for tuning.

The difference across the board on an 85, 87, and 92 mm TB was ZERO. I would never upgrade TB's until completely peaked with bolt ons, or a stoker setup.
considering a stock TB performed the same as a $500 aftermarket, and this engine is the equivalent of a full bolt on/cam swap truck, You'd be throwing money away at a TB as charonblk07 points out above. We even tested an aluminum, air gap type manifold designed for a 4150 carb type TB...the engine didn't like that at all vs an OE eagle car intake.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Dylan says his is giving him close to a tenth by his Trinity Kurtis,i plan on borrowing it this spring for a back to back test at Castrol,to see if he's right,lol.If the 85mm BBK is worth a tenth over the polished stock ones we've been running,i'll step up and buy one,lol