Pop Quiz 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
This time I'm dealing with what at first appears to be a fairly routine problem. A 2002 Ram 1500 with a 4.7L engine. The MIL is on and it's running like crap. The initial scan of the PCM shows several codes for the upstream O2 sensors being shorted to power, shorted to ground and a random misfire code. Since there was not yet a reason to pull the coils and plugs, I went after the O2 sensor problem first. When I unplugged the sensors under the truck, transmission fluid ran out of both upstream sensors. I looked around the transmission and there were no visible leaks, let alone anything that could have flooded the connectors. Next, I went the C1 connector on the PCM which houses inputs and outputs for the upstream O2 sensrs, Idle Air Control motor, Throttle Position Sensor, Intake Air Temp sensor, Power Steering Pressure switch, ignition coil drivers for all cylinders except 2 & 7, MAP sensor, Crank Position sensor, Cam Position sensor, Neutral Safety Sense circuit and a few others. When I unplugged the connector, I found that it too was flooded with ATF. I checked the transmission connector since there is a wire in the C1 going there but find that it's dry inside. Further investigation revealed that fluid had also entered a few of the injector connectors as well. The question is...where in the hell did the fluid come from?!

tmerritt530

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
287 ci
Owner tried to use it as dielectric?

Sent from the palm of my hand

OP
OP
RamTech

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
Nope. ATF in the connectors wasn't intentional. I may have to throw you guys a hint.

OP
OP
RamTech

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
It's not a prank. This is a problem I've seen on 3 different vehicles.

OP
OP
RamTech

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L
Hint

Ok, hint time. I also found ATF in the Power Steering Pressure sensor connector.

swamp_life hemi 05

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh..... ROFL copter. Well I'm still learning, my previous truck was a Ford.....

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
1: My guess is a "transmission module" of some sort is out.

Possibly causing the sucking of fluid through and out the exhaust.

or

2: Overfilled with tranny fluid when serviced. And overflowed through the tubes and got everywhere...

Last edited:

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
ATF is used in all Chrysler power steering systems.

i just changed my power steering pump about 9 months ago and put in powersteering fluid is that ok?Does really matter now anyway cause i got to change the rack soon also. but if i need to change it i guess i will do it then.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i just changed my power steering pump about 9 months ago and put in powersteering fluid is that ok?Does really matter now anyway cause i got to change the rack soon also. but if i need to change it i guess i will do it then.

I would seriously change it out to ATF+4 immediately, I think there are other parts that may be affected then just the rack.

OP
OP
RamTech

RamTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 Dakota SXT
Engine
3.7L

Just flush the system and put in ATF+4 when you do the rack.