Rear ended a pole....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NCC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hi y'all,

So unfortunately the wife rear ended my less than 4 months old power wagon while backing off a fuel station...

She hit a tall square pole at an angle (and you can see from the photo, it seems that many other folks have done the same...).

The damage involve the rear bumper and the tailgate. I looked underneath the truck and it appears that the actual bed is totally intact (luckily, the bumper didn't even hit or crease to the bed, or so it appears). It also appears that there's no direct impact toward the frame itself as well. The trailer hitch is untouched as well.

My question: should I worry about frame damage? As the bumper is directly attached to frame, and seems the force of the impact will transmit to the frame. The truck rides exactly the same...

A collision center quoted me around $2200 for replacement/labor (tailgate+ bumper) and they said they will check the frame once they take off the bumper. Does that quote seem reasonable?

Thanks all,

Mark

054fb82b30b0701e15d79bcc1afc03f3.jpg10bd10447c70c4a2d19d9f72a411cbfd.jpg

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Right between the sensors :roflsquared:

Seems like a decent price if it's a reputable shop with a warranty.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Price doesn't seem too bad.

Being that it's the tailgate and bumper, pretty much "bolt on" parts, see if you could find them at a local salvage yard in the correct color and type. My buddy just had to replace his 2500 rear bumper, picked one up that looked like new complete with sensors for $200.

Avgas

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Express
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Price doesn't seem too bad.

Being that it's the tailgate and bumper, pretty much "bolt on" parts, see if you could find them at a local salvage yard in the correct color and type. My buddy just had to replace his 2500 rear bumper, picked one up that looked like new complete with sensors for $200.

Didn't think about that, paint is where most of the cost will come from. If you dont have to mess with paint you can definitely save some money.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Damn man that sucks !

You have the backup camera and sensors. ... wow .

I'd say no frame damage , two bolt on parts as stated above .

If you have a good salvage yard or an LKQ distribution center relatively close to ya you may be able to get this fixed yourself for less than your deductible .

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I backed into a telephone pole once. **** happens sorry buddy

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
A collision center quoted me around $2200 for replacement/labor (tailgate+ bumper) and they said they will check the frame once they take off the bumper. Does that quote seem reasonable?

I was just about to chime in and say fix it yourself but a quick look at even clean used tailgates, might be worth the $2200. Used tailgates seem to be running anywhere form $700-1200. Bumper and brackets probably $400 ish. saving your self the trouble of finding a color match tailgate and labor, even my "do-it-yourself-because-I-have-trust-issues" self is having a tough time trying to convince you to do it yourself.