Split second shut off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Auctioneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello all. Nice to see an active forum. There is nothing better than sharing ones knowledge. That being said, I have a slight problem. My 1996 Ram 1500 will be cruising down the road and for no aparent reason, will shut off and right back on again. Like a split second. Actaully scares the crap out of me when it happens. Happens maybe once a week. I get the feeling that one of these times it will shut off completely. I have tried nothing at this point and trust in your experience. Oh and no codes either. No check engine light.
Thanks!

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
There are a couple places to start, the first thing I would check would be the relays, specifically the ASD relay, it may be going bad. Or check the ignition switch, it may be worn down, although that is more a problem with Chevys ;)

You havent given much to go on, does everything go out, or just the instrument cluster, do all the dash indicator lights come on like you just cycled the ignition? If it were mad about a sensor input it would usually throw a code, anything that would **** it off and not throw a code would occur more often if not constantly.

If the relay and ignition check out good, thats all I can help with, given the limited amount of information.
Hopefully its a simple fix.

OP
OP
A

Auctioneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are a couple places to start, the first thing I would check would be the relays, specifically the ASD relay, it may be going bad. Or check the ignition switch, it may be worn down, although that is more a problem with Chevys ;)

You havent given much to go on, does everything go out, or just the instrument cluster, do all the dash indicator lights come on like you just cycled the ignition? If it were mad about a sensor input it would usually throw a code, anything that would **** it off and not throw a code would occur more often if not constantly.

If the relay and ignition check out good, thats all I can help with, given the limited amount of information.
Hopefully its a simple fix.

LOL I like your directness. Honestly happens so dam fast that I don't notice any other symptoms. I'm a fairly decent mechanic for things like axels, belts, pumps, radiators etc.. but car electric is something I know almost nothing about. I don't recall the radio going off and definately no dash lights coming on. That I would have noticed. Hasn't happened at night yet so no headlights to pin point another problem.
Imagine driving down the road and hitting a pothole and you didn't see it coming. Kind of like that. Serious jolt/engine shutoff. Boggles my mind. Never had this problem in any car or truck.
What's the possibility that it could be the tranny jolting? Seriously, it happens that fast that it's hard to pinpoint.
Thanks for responding though.

dudeman2009

Reaction score
Ram Year
2001 1500 Sport with enough electrical modifications to make my brain hurt
Engine
Magnum 360
LOL I like your directness. Honestly happens so dam fast that I don't notice any other symptoms. I'm a fairly decent mechanic for things like axels, belts, pumps, radiators etc.. but car electric is something I know almost nothing about. I don't recall the radio going off and definately no dash lights coming on. That I would have noticed. Hasn't happened at night yet so no headlights to pin point another problem.
Imagine driving down the road and hitting a pothole and you didn't see it coming. Kind of like that. Serious jolt/engine shutoff. Boggles my mind. Never had this problem in any car or truck.
What's the possibility that it could be the tranny jolting? Seriously, it happens that fast that it's hard to pinpoint.
Thanks for responding though.

If its the tranny it will usually happen at specific points, and be relatively reproducible. The tranny is definitely a possibility. However if the dash lights dont come on and the radio doesnt skip a beat, then its not the ignition. I don't know what all the ASD relay powers, i've never pulled mine for kicks. With these trucks the cycle time is really fast, I can be going down the road at speed, throw it in neutral and cycle the key taking even up to a second to put it back to run and it will fire right up without cranking, a quarter second after putting the key in run, its revving its ass off becuase im pressing it to the floor.

In drive I can coast all the way down to 25mph before it refuses to start without cranking.

An abrupt shudder is what i'm guessing you're talking about. That could be a bunch of things, fuel pump not included. The PCM could be damaged, your ignition coil could be on its way out, the tranny could be flipping you the bird.

I would start by checking the basics, coil, relays, connectors; make sure everything is nice and tight, you may try letting the truck idle while tugging on the wires to see if you can make it angry.

The coil should be 1 ohm roughly between the 2 pins and 12-15k between the tower and a pin.

The procedure for checking relays is as follows:
Connect Terminal 30 to battery positive with a 10 or 15 amp fused jumper.
Connect terminal 86 to ground.
Connect any high draw device, such as a headlight to terminal 87.

When the load is connected to 87 and 12v positive is not connected to 85, the load should not light.

Switch the load to terminal 87a, with 12v positive not connected to 85 the load should light.

When terminal 85 is connected to battery positive, the load on terminal 87 should light.

Switching the load to terminal 87a while terminal 85 is connected to the battery should cause the load not to light.

I'm at a little bit of a loss here as this isnt a common issue, or even a very decisive one.

OP
OP
A

Auctioneer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If its the tranny it will usually happen at specific points, and be relatively reproducible. The tranny is definitely a possibility. However if the dash lights dont come on and the radio doesnt skip a beat, then its not the ignition. I don't know what all the ASD relay powers, i've never pulled mine for kicks. With these trucks the cycle time is really fast, I can be going down the road at speed, throw it in neutral and cycle the key taking even up to a second to put it back to run and it will fire right up without cranking, a quarter second after putting the key in run, its revving its ass off becuase im pressing it to the floor.

In drive I can coast all the way down to 25mph before it refuses to start without cranking.

An abrupt shudder is what i'm guessing you're talking about. That could be a bunch of things, fuel pump not included. The PCM could be damaged, your ignition coil could be on its way out, the tranny could be flipping you the bird.

I would start by checking the basics, coil, relays, connectors; make sure everything is nice and tight, you may try letting the truck idle while tugging on the wires to see if you can make it angry.

The coil should be 1 ohm roughly between the 2 pins and 12-15k between the tower and a pin.

The procedure for checking relays is as follows:
Connect Terminal 30 to battery positive with a 10 or 15 amp fused jumper.
Connect terminal 86 to ground.
Connect any high draw device, such as a headlight to terminal 87.

When the load is connected to 87 and 12v positive is not connected to 85, the load should not light.

Switch the load to terminal 87a, with 12v positive not connected to 85 the load should light.

When terminal 85 is connected to battery positive, the load on terminal 87 should light.

Switching the load to terminal 87a while terminal 85 is connected to the battery should cause the load not to light.

I'm at a little bit of a loss here as this isnt a common issue, or even a very decisive one.

Thanks! I will get under the hood this weekend and see what I can come up with. I just talked to the previous owner of the truck. He said it was having trouble starting on rainy days. Thought it might be in need of a cap & rotor. Although I don't think that would cause this kind of problem. What do you think?