Engine shut off while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nkpnad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L
Hey everyone.

I've got a 2005 dodge ram 1500, 3.7L that has been giving me issues for the last few years and it's driving me nuts. The engine sometimes dies, usually while going slowly and/or decelerating, and recently, in park as well. It starts right back up, albeit in limp mode, and then it gives me P0344, P0340, and sometimes knock sensor codes. Sometimes it will die a few times in a row.

P0344 - PCM (engine computer) is seeing an intermittent signal from the camshaft position sensor.
P0340 - indicates a problem with the Camshaft Position Sensor A circuit.
P0325 - Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Malfunction
And also another Knock Sensor code that I don't have access to right now, since I cleared it earlier.

The only success I've had is unplugging the camshaft position sensor, which completely eliminated the problem... however, I would still like to get this fixed. I've been working on this with my brother the last few years, but now I've got to tackle it solo. Here's what we've replaced / checked.

In order:

-battery/alternator
-new PCM
-new camshaft position sensor
-checked wiring on camshaft position sensor, used jumper wires to bypass the old wiring. Same problem.
-new crankshaft position sensor
-several oil changes (people online claim this can cause my same issues.)
-timing

Finally my brother was nearly positive it was the timing. So we we got in there and the timing was in fact off. But after fixing it, she's still dying on me.
The only thing that I'm a little iffy on is the wiring check, as I'm not very electrically-inclined. My brother poked around with a multimeter and I was having trouble following, but afterward he was very confident that it wasn't the wiring, and I trust him on that.

So that leaves me here, heartbroken after redoing the timing didn't fix it haha. Anyone ran into a problem like this before? Any suggestions on what else this could be?

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Have you checked your grounds? Make sure they're not corroded or broken.

Shadow_Death

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sooooooooo let's dive into this. A few months ago I encountered this on my truck but with a 5.7L HEMI instead. On my truck Dodge ran the wiring harness down the front passenger side of the engine. It passes between the oil filter and the oil pan then curves under the engine to the knock sensor and the crank sensor. Where it curves under the engine these wires are notorious for rubbing through on the edge of the block and grounding out. It commonly causes the engine to shut off if you hit a bump or a dip. I would recommend checking to see if the V6's wiring harness runs the same way. If it does, then check where that harness turns and goes under the engine and heads back. You'll know I when you see it.

I've attached 2 pictures of where this runs on the HEMI engines. Hopefully of they ran it the same on the V6 models it's your issue.

Edit: Never mind, I see where you said you bypassed the wire with jumper wires.

Attachments

• 20230522_120533.jpg
    20230522_120533.jpg
    212.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20230522_120504.jpg
    20230522_120504.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: