Camper shell old guyish?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's your view on camper shells on our trucks. I'm talking about the nice leers that sit flush with the cab. Look old guyish? I'm thinking about getting one for camping and transporting my dog around to cut down on the hair inside the truck.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Do it, if you end up not using it later on they tend to hold their value pretty well.

OP
OP
Low2HighRise

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I like them only of you have a lift. Then your truck looks like a tank.

If you want one then why not get one? You don't need our permission here.

Yea I know I don't, I'm just kind of on the fence about it. I think it would look good then I second guess myself

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking at the Leer XR100 with head liner and sliding front window.
I loved the cap on my 03 Ram I cant wait to get one on this Ram.

I say go for it Im pro cap.

OP
OP
Low2HighRise

Low2HighRise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am looking at the Leer XR100 with head liner and sliding front window.
I loved the cap on my 03 Ram I cant wait to get one on this Ram.

I say go for it Im pro cap.

I really like the xq it's a little more expensive than the xr. I think I like it more because of the single side glass.

NYCruiser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd love to get a cap for mine but I need to haul my quad sometimes. Had one on my last pickup and I miss it. If you get one, def get a front window that opens so you can clean the rear cab window sometimes.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Predator 4x4 Dually & 2012 Ram Puinsher R/T 1 of 1
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo & Hemi 5.7
Dude it's what ever you like.

Sweetee

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
We sleep in ours when we go to Indy and other races! I've got a Bedrug for our two Greyhounds. I love my Leer topper! The pups will appreciate it. In addition to the sliding front window, make sure it tips down so you can clean the outsides of the topper and truck windows.

Attachments

• September 2, 2012 044.jpg
    September 2, 2012 044.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 7,641

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is that color matched?

earlzach

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I really like the xq it's a little more expensive than the xr. I think I like it more because of the single side glass.

I actually like th XL better but the wing vent windows wont provide as much air flow for my dog as the xr with the 50/50 side sliding windows. They are all good looking caps though. I am also a bit on the fence to the ARE one witht he front edge Rhino lined or line x'ed that looks pretty col. Just not sure is for me.

kcbigbadram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
I really like them if you buy the nicer ones. I had a heap one and it looked like crap. Check your local craigslist I see them pop up sometimes and they're always much cheaper than buying new.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I love camper shells, they are great for everything from going to the grocery store to going camping, and they are great if you need to pull of the road on a long drive. As for being old guyish, well i am an old guy so there ya go. There is something to say about growing wise with age.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I love a good clean camper. One with flush mounted windows.
I can't stand the aluminum framed crap. what is this, the 80s?!

the tailgate makes campers sit a touch funny, Leer & SnugTop both seem to have a clean way of dealing with this.

I'd like to have one for the dog.

Lhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I agree with the up to date toppers. But I'm in that old guy class too...

lswing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Laramie Crew
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Think I'm going with the 100XR, clean with sliding windows.
640_640_gallery_image_2009ram100xr.jpg

GreenClassic

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Never was a fan of bed shells. I wouldn't called them old-guyish (except for the old aluminum siding ones that looks like it belongs on a mobile home from the 70s). I just like the look of a truck without anything on the back of it.

Brakelate

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That looks sharp. It is always nice to have more secure storage that is out of the weather and out of reach of the opportunist type of thief?

Add a Carpet / Bed kit and you have a nice little camp out spot for those times you just get stuck out on the road, want a quick and simple place to nap, or head out somewhere that you just wouldn't want to tow a Travel Trailer, etc.

I keep thinking about one, but then am confronted with an occasion when I need to carry something tall in the bed; Motorcycle, Quad, Dog House, etc.

Plus, I am always picking up discarded trash and items that have blown out on the road, like cardboard boxes, chunks of firewood, coolers, old rope / line with boat anchors or whatever. Though locking things up is nice, sometimes it sure is convenient to just jump out, pick up whatever the item is, toss it in back and head on down the road real quick and easy without unlocking things, opening lift gates and all that.

Sure you can take them off, but who has four tall, strong friends handy when that time comes? And where do you store it so that it doesn't get scratched up or knocked over when off the truck?

SoCal Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI

Exactly why I have that shell! Single piece of glass looks NICE! Designed to look like it came from the factory with the shell.

I love a good clean camper. One with flush mounted windows.
I can't stand the aluminum framed crap. what is this, the 80s?!

the tailgate makes campers sit a touch funny, Leer & SnugTop both seem to have a clean way of dealing with this.

I'd like to have one for the dog.

That is exacly what I thought with those shells/aluminum window frames, still in the 80?!

I don't think it's an old guy thing but more of what your needs are for the truck. Mine include a camper shell not an open bed or just a cover. Here is my XQ:

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 1,414
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 910