04 hemi keeps dying.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texan24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my truck died on me twice tonight. I live 8 minutes from work. It first died at a stop light maybe half way home. Then died again right when I pulled up to my house. It’s died like this the entire time I’ve owned it. (5 years) but it use to happen maybe once a year so I was never worried about it. And it restarted every time till last year. Couple times I came to a stop and it died. Other times it’s died while stopped. Then at least once it’s happened while driving. So last year it happened and wouldn’t restart. Mechanic said it’s a fuel pump. Once he got it in his shop he said it was spark plugs. Replaced plugs and wires. Ran fuel system cleaner through it. It fired up no problem. Ran for a couple months and it happened again. This time it really was the fuel pump. It’s been four or five months since then. Now it’s happening again. I really need help. NO codes are coming up. And it’s not consistent enough to show someone what’s happening.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Correct me if I am wrong - the only 2 things you replaced were the spark plugs and the fuel pump, correct? You said a mechanic did the plugs, if the fuel pump was replaced, who replaced it? Have you done a fuel pressure test?

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Fuel pump relay in the tipm ?

OP
OP
T

texan24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Correct me if I am wrong - the only 2 things you replaced were the spark plugs and the fuel pump, correct? You said a mechanic did the plugs, if the fuel pump was replaced, who replaced it? Have you done a fuel pressure test?
Plugs and wires.
I replaced the fuel pump. I haven’t done a pressure test but I will this weekend. Should I be expecting to see low pressure?

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
yOUR RELAY GOOD? mINES STARTED STALLING 3-4 TIMES A DAY.Usually when coming to a stop.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It kills me how across the internet, you read about the stalling issue. With a 5.7, everybodys says to replace the ICV. But the 5.7 doesn't have one. I have followed threads pages long, done the recommended stuff. Spent a fortune in parts. And all threads never finish.Or they end with the person selling the vehicle.Im pretty close to just dumping my 2004.New ECM, throttle body, you name it. Ive done it.Just sick of chasing down a problem nobody has an answer to.I almost ran over a guy in a parking lot because my truck stalled.Im pretty much done.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
have you checked the Crankshaft & Camshaft Sensors

&

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been there, done that. Multiple times.

Recoil

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You should get a code if it was the crankshaft or camshaft sensors.

I would look for a vacuum leak and I would also check all ground wires.

Cerd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This was a common problem with the Gen 2 Durangos. 95% of the time, it is a near dead battery since Dodge is extremely voltage sensitive. About 3% is a sticky torque converter. The other 2% are random other issues.

427invader

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the same issue and replaced multiple parts. When I replaced the EGR, problem solved.