09 1500 SLT - CAM/LIFTER debacle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramrod09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hello all, looking for some advice on issue on my lil brothers Ram. its a 2009 1500 SLT, 4WD, I believe it has the MDS thing, its his daily driver and he is 21 and in a rough spot with this issue. For clarity purposes I am a Mustang guy, and my knowledge of Hemis is somewhat limited. (please don't forsake me :puke:) Bro called me up and said he had misfire on 1 and 4 cyl. Truck ran like **** and doesn't know what it is. I went through things I thought would be most likely, spark plugs, coils, etc... I live in Cleveland, OH and he is down 2hrs in Columbus. He has little to no mechanical ability and so talking him through things was tough. Ultimately a family friend who is more mechanically inclined came to replace plugs test everything etc... they replaced plugs, swapped a few coils around and got #4 to stop throwing code. After all said and done still sounded and ran like ****. everything electronically is sound per testing according to the mechanic family friend. Him and I were in agreement that the lifter failure problem with these engines is probably to blame. I believe one or more lifters seized and scalloped off the cam lobe. so those two cylinders are not operating as they should hence the misfire. So I had Bro tow the truck up to my house in Cleveland where it sits now. I intend to remove heads and replace lifters/cam. Its cold a balls outside and not getting warmer. So I want to make this repair as fast as possible to get him back on the road and me get back in the house. My question to your forum community is tips/trick to making this easier? also intend on putting in stock replacement parts, but I have been reading you can put a beefier cam in and get a significant performance gain in these engines. I am curious if their is a no tune required option for that, or if you are stuck getting a SCT or similar to tune the new cam if you go aftermarket? trying to get best bang for buck "while your in there" repair if its not too much more cost.
Thank you for your time,
-a big brother

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Just curious, how many miles does it have, and which oil, type, how often was it changed? This forum crowd, myself including wants to believe that we can minimize or solve these types of problems with better oil...

Ive been reading up on this online and didn't see much info about putting in aftermarket parts, seems like everyone does these repairs with oem parts. I've read that since 2016 there has been new updated design on lifters and cam, although not too sure, here's the link: New Lifter for 5.7L HEMI 2005-2013 (rear MDS Hydraulic Roller Assembly > Melling

I don't know anything else about this, but wish you luck. My truck is at dealership now for same repair. Also do research on YouTube for this issue, there are some good videos on it.

OP
OP
R

Ramrod09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
His mileage is high around 115K and he bought used about a year ago so unsure on oil change timelines. He uses the recommended oil and has changed it every 3-4K since he has owned it.

RAMNC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You can remove the valve covers and rotate the engine over to see if any of the rockers are not moving. This will tell you if a lifter had taken out a cam lobe.
I had a lifter roller that was failing and the engine was making a loud tapping noise at idle. Luckily I had no cam damage.

I just replaced the lifters on my 2011 1500 two weeks ago. It really is not that bad of a job. The intake is a massive piece of plastic that comes right off with only a few connectors in the front and a couple in the back.
The exhaust manifolds are easy to get to via the wheel openings after removing the fender wells. Probably a good idea to get new manifold bolts as a couple may be broken anyway.
The rockers and push-rods come right off just keep everything inline with where it came from. (you do not need the special pushrod holding fixture for putting the intake pushrods back into place.)
The heads come off with out issue. Dont forget the two ground strap bolts on the back of each head.
If you keep the MDS lifters make sure you get two sets for the back and two sets for the front from Melling. I got mine from Summit Racing but you can get the same ones Autozone or O'Reilly's.
You can also go the non MDS route and just put non MDS lifters in and then have someone disable the MDS system with a Diablosport scanner or similar.

Marshallrfoster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m going through same thing. Wish I had a big bro like you man...Hope it goes smooth for ya.