12's w/ lifted crew cab?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Great info! I didn't realize cam/heads would be so pricey. Sounds to me like the SC is the way to go for several reasons. I was looking at the Whipple and saw they got it dynoed at about 175hp gains. I seriously doubt even an aggressive cam/heads package would touch that.

I am looking at the same thing for my truck but I am worried about the 8 speed not being able to handle that much added power. Anyone have any input on the capability of these 8 speeds?

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"They"(whoever the hell that is)say the 8 speed is good up to about 600hp. Much much better than the 5/6 speed.
Jay

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Great info! I didn't realize cam/heads would be so pricey. Sounds to me like the SC is the way to go for several reasons. I was looking at the Whipple and saw they got it dynoed at about 175hp gains. I seriously doubt even an aggressive cam/heads package would touch that.

Would with nitrous. Depends on if you just want the power for the track(nitrous) or all the time(forced induction). I'm personally not a fan of bottle feeding but a lot of guys like it.

West27

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
"They"(whoever the hell that is)say the 8 speed is good up to about 600hp. Much much better than the 5/6 speed.
Jay

I have read similar things but I have also read that the increase of torque is what makes these trannys break plus the twin screw SC has huge tq at low rpms which I would figure would cause the issues. Now turbos or a centrifuge sc would be easier on them.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi

No heads /cam package will even get you 100whp on that truck, let alone 175. You can't run a big nasty cam or you'd lose so much low end it wouldn't respond well off the line.

FI will get you gains well beyond what heads/cam can achieve.

I am looking at the same thing for my truck but I am worried about the 8 speed not being able to handle that much added power. Anyone have any input on the capability of these 8 speeds?

The 8 speeds are handling superchargers just fine on the chargers and challengers. There's not a lot of high power trucks to base it on but it's the same transmission. I've sprayed 150-175 every weekend for nearly 2 years and I've never hurt it.
Would with nitrous. Depends on if you just want the power for the track(nitrous) or all the time(forced induction). I'm personally not a fan of bottle feeding but a lot of guys like it.

You could also get the same gains as the blower with just nitrous on a stock motor, for thousands less. They will handle a 175 shot just fine if you have the safety systems in place and use it wisely.

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I'm looking for everyday street power, so I'll pass on the funny gas.

I've read that the procharger systems are heavily upgradeable. Is the Whipple? Can the procharger be upgraded to provide more power than the Whipple?

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Jay

Can someone ask "Them" if that's 600hp at the wheels? Lol

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah, I'm looking for everyday street power, so I'll pass on the funny gas.

I've read that the procharger systems are heavily upgradeable. Is the Whipple? Can the procharger be upgraded to provide more power than the Whipple?

Yes. Prochargers and all centris in general are very upgradeable and can be scaled to whatever power level you want. The D1SC will do fine for your needs, that's the standard head unit. You can easily swap head units at a later date if you decide to go built motor/Trans and big boost. There's also tons of options for intercoolers to get your IAT down, since with a centri you can put any size air to water or air to air cooler that you want, because you just plumb it in before the boost pipe gets to the throttle body.

With a Whipple, you're limited to what the stock heat exchanger can do, since it's under the Blower, and the unit replaces the intake manifold . but, the ram kit uses the bigger 2.9L unit which supposedly has a larger heat exchanger, and is capable of more boost. It can still be upgraded with pulleys to make more power than your stock block or Trans could handle.

Kit for kit, the Whipple will make more low end torque, and all around performance, and be capable of more power than the D1SC procharger that comes with the kit. But you can also buy procharger units that support over 2000hp, so as far as which is more upgradeable, procharger takes it.
Can someone ask "Them" if that's 600hp at the wheels? Lol

No. People are running 500-525 whp in much lighter challengers and chargers, single cab trucks, etc.

I don't know personally of anyone who has pushed a stock 8HP70 to 600whp reliably on a truck, but my experience with transmissions tells me that 600whp on a 5800lb truck with 37" tires is not going to do any favors for the transmission.

600whp is also around 750 at the crank, and that's pretty far beyond what the stock internals of the 5.7 will handle. So you'd be in built motor territory at that point.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I should go ahead and put this out there now that pretty much anything we've discussed in this thread for power adders will void your factory power train warranty at most dealers.

Also, with your large tires, even the same 500whp that RCSB 2wd trucks are reliably running may damage your transmission due to the added strain of the extra rotating mass.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shoot, for the money yall are talking, it'd almost be easier to put a hellcat engine/trans in it......

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Shoot, for the money yall are talking, it'd almost be easier to put a hellcat engine/trans in it......

Lmao... You know how much a hellcat motor costs? Just found one for $20K. Shoot... Why not wait till the demon reveal tonight and just grab one of those motors real quick.:crazy:

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Lol buy a car. You bought a truck ...

Why stop there? Forget the car and get a helicopter. :crazy:

If I wanted a car, I would have kept my 300C :)

But I needed truck functionality. Nothing wrong with wanting to make a big truck go fast. Anything is possible and I just want to know what it'll take. Are there 'better' options? Of course. But if everyone chose the 'better' or easy way out, we'd all be driving the same thing ;)

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Don't listen to them. My crew cab runs [email protected] with just intake/tune/cat back /nitrous. But it's not lifted or 4wd. It's very possible. And not that hard, actually. It's just gonna be a little harder because of your giant tires and lift, and because you want that power all the time it's going to be more expensive.

768mph

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't listen to them. My crew cab runs [email protected] with just intake/tune/cat back /nitrous. But it's not lifted or 4wd. It's very possible. And not that hard, actually. It's just gonna be a little harder because of your giant tires and lift, and because you want that power all the time it's going to be more expensive.

And that's a 175 shot of nitrous. Lol
Great time nonetheless but no way will that motor last with that shot.

Awesome someone did it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Jwithing

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

:favorites13: that's what I'm thinking. Based on Whipple's dyno #'s, it looks to be in comparison w/ a 175 shot. Plus headers to make it breath... Wondering if anyone has some #'s for how much of a difference 37's/lift/4wd makes. Are we talking a full second difference? If it's not doable with the Whipple, I bet it's close. :naughty:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
:favorites13: that's what I'm thinking. Based on Whipple's dyno #'s, it looks to be in comparison w/ a 175 shot. Plus headers to make it breath... Wondering if anyone has some #'s for how much of a difference 37's/lift/4wd makes. Are we talking a full second difference? If it's not doable with the Whipple, I bet it's close. :naughty:

The one thing 4wd has going for it is that every tire is a drag radial :roflsquared: With that much pony you should put up good 60' times because it'll hook and go in 4wd.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And that's a 175 shot of nitrous. Lol
Great time nonetheless but no way will that motor last with that shot.

Awesome someone did it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It will last just fine.

Supercharger systems are getting 150-175whp reliably on the canned tune that comes with the kit. People run those kits for years without issues, and that power is there every day, every time you go full throttle. My nitrous is on for one night a week, every other weekend, in a controlled environment, only running under ideal circumstances.

I don't hot lap it on the bottle, and it gets to cool down pretty good between runs. The big killer on nitrous is heat, the upper compression ring heats up and closes the gap, causing the ring to try to stick, which causes the top of the piston to come apart.

Im not picking on you personally, I just have to deal with comments like this from people nearly every time I make a pass.