'14 Ram Laramie vs '16 Tundra Platinum

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Went in for the airbag recall today, got bored, test drove a Tundra Platinum.

Ram: 2014 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4
Tundra: 2016 Platinum CrewMax 4x4

Conclusion: I don't feel like the Tundra is a competitive truck in today's market and I still like my Laramie more. Details follow.

Things Tundra Does Better:
  • Resale value. No lie; Ram is objectively the worst for resale among any full size truck and Tundra is the best.
  • Rear seat room. The legroom might be comparable to a Ram 2500 MegaCab. What makes it feel so nice is the 24-deg incline of the rear seatbacks; this really does feel like a BMW 7-Series long wheelbase sedan from an angle and legroom perspective.
  • Rear glass retracts. Much nicer than a sliding window.
  • Roof-mounted, spring loaded grab handles. Except for the driver; we'll get to that later.
  • Ground clearance. The additional 1.7" is noticeable.
  • Front brake calipers. 4-piston fixed and the pedal feel/responsiveness is noticeable.
  • Dampened tailgate. Not available on Ram yet.
  • Blind spot monitoring system. Not available on Ram yet.
  • Front passenger footwell does not have transmission bulge. This drives my wife nuts in my Ram.

Things RAM Does Better (or in most cases, Tundra is just freaking missing altogether):
  • Projector beam headlights. If you want to convert to HID, this is doable without being obnoxious (light cutoff). Tundra has reflector halogens and they suck.
  • Dead pedal under parking brake. I hate these things bc I find them so uncomfortable; it's not removable, either.
  • EVIC. Tundra has all of 5 pieces of info, which can only be displayed one at a time on the tiny screen: current fuel econ, avg fuel econ, DTE, driving duration, trailer brake gain. It's positively 2000s tech. No transmission temperature, oil temperature, or oil pressure info available.
  • UConnect has a bigger (8.4"), 3:4 screen. Tundra has an 8" screen but it's 16:9 (the movie aspect ratio), which sucks for navigation.
  • Interior storage. Tundra has no under floor storage and no under rear seat storage. And only 2 cupholders in the rear armrest (as opposed to the additional 2 cupholders on Ram's floor).
  • Fold out flat floor. Not available on Tundra.
  • Driver A pillar handle. Not available on Tundra. No roof mounted handle either. I guess you're just supposed to use the steering wheel. WTF, Toyota?
  • Center console has cutouts for cord. Tundra does not.
  • UConnect plays media files off of both USB & SD card. Tundra does not support SD card.
  • Gear selector knob frees up space. Tundra has console mounted shifter that takes up space. I'm not sure why we needed to go from column mounted to something else but whatever.
  • Transmission. Ram's 8HP70 is better than Tundra's 6-speed.
  • Fuel economy. Ram 15/19 (my personal actuals) VS Tundra 13/17 (EPA)
  • Acceleration. The magazines say my Ram is around 7s flat 0-60 w/ 3.92 gears (I have 3.21s so I'm slower) & the Tundra is supposed to do it in 6.4s. Certainly did not feel that way.
  • Engine sound. Ram sounds like a hot rod. Tundra sounds like a vacuum cleaner.
  • Dual exhaust. Ram wins this on aesthetics but that's just me.
  • Rear end ratio. Ram gives you choice; Tundra is 4.30 only.
  • Backup camera. Ram has high resolution, with moveable tire path lines. Tundra has a crappy, low res camera, with no moveable lines.
  • Wheels. Ram can be downsized to 17". Tundra is 20" only (Platinum).
  • Ride quality. Ram rides like a luxury car. Tundra still rides like a truck.
  • Remote locking tailgate. Ram wins. Tundra requires a freaking key.
  • Remote start. Ram from the factory; Tundra optional, potentially dealer-installed.
  • Tow mirror options. Ram has optional tow mirrors. No one at the Toyota dealer even knew about tow mirrors.
  • Auto dimming side view mirrors. Not available on Tundra.
  • Proximity key and keyless ignition. Not available on Tundra.

I get the whole Toyota QDR (Quality Durability Reliability) argument but you've got to give up a *LOT* for that QDR. It's like saying that a knife has more QDR than a can opener so the knife will last longer and cost less to maintain.

That's probably true . . . the knife has no moving parts and can be used to open a can in a pinch. But the can opener is sure as hell more pleasant to live with.

Last edited:

CherryRed

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Toyota's higher resale value is reflected in the new selling price. How often do you hear of someone getting 8, 10, 13 grand off the new price of a Tundra? When I was shopping for a new truck, a little under 1 year ago, the most discount Toyota offered was $500. Don't get me wrong, I like Toyotas, and have owned several. But I am not hooked on any brand and Ram got my business this time.

The recent Tundra TRD Pro verses Ram Rebel comparison shows just how close the specs are on these two trucks are.

I also like the integrated electric trailer brake control - something not yet offered in the Tundra.

Jeff CA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The Tundra used to have a C channel non-boxed frame, as well. I don't know if this has changed recently.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
The Tundra used to have a C channel non-boxed frame, as well. I don't know if this has changed recently.

They run a combination boxed up front and open C channel in the mid/back section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNeLQmE1s0M

I have owned both a 2010 and 2014 Tundra and the latest models are basically re-skin jobs running on the same frames and powertrains since the 2007 model release.

I will not stoke any debate of which is better but will say the Tundra for the most part while not highly featured and optioned like the RAM's, makes up for it in almost boring reliability. While a bright shinny penny in 2007 when they debuted, they are dated and not leading class in just about any category.

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Toyota's higher resale value is reflected in the new selling price. How often do you hear of someone getting 8, 10, 13 grand off the new price of a Tundra? When I was shopping for a new truck, a little under 1 year ago, the most discount Toyota offered was $500. Don't get me wrong, I like Toyotas, and have owned several. But I am not hooked on any brand and Ram got my business this time.

The recent Tundra TRD Pro verses Ram Rebel comparison shows just how close the specs are on these two trucks are.

I also like the integrated electric trailer brake control - something not yet offered in the Tundra.

They do have an integrated electric trailer brake control as of 2016. It's a very small change and not nearly enough to remain competitive, IMO.

You're right about the inability to negotiate - that said, the "final price" of Tundra OTD (out the door) is comparable with Ram. But you have to live with a knife instead of a can opener. :)

OP
OP
A

AzRamLover

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They run a combination boxed up front and open C channel in the mid/back section.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNeLQmE1s0M

I have owned both a 2010 and 2014 Tundra and the latest models are basically re-skin jobs running on the same frames and powertrains since the 2007 model release.

I will not stoke any debate of which is better but will say the Tundra for the most part while not highly featured and optioned like the RAM's, makes up for it in almost boring reliability. While a bright shinny penny in 2007 when they debuted, they are dated and not leading class in just about any category.

Agreed.

Their chief engineer Mike Sweers says the C-channel in back helps with ride quality. My impression is that Tundra's ride quality was noticeably worse than Ram's, Sierra's (2015 Sierra Denali Crew Cab 4x4), and Ford's (2015 F150 Lariat Supercrew 4x4).

Oddity

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was initially looking at the Tundra when truck shopping. Had all the options picked out, mods lined up, money in hand. 6 Different dealers and the best they would do for me is $1500 off the sticker price, wouldn't budge another $500. I popped in to a Ram dealership where a friend of mine works, test drove the 1500, and was blown away by all the tech upgrades and ride quality. $14,000 off sticker price and 0% financing helped too.

The Tundra is a great truck with a loyal following, but long due for a re-hash. The 2016 is still riding on the 2007 platform, with an interior / exterior change in 2014. The fuel economy for the 5.7 averages around 13-14mpg. Hands down the best part of owning a Toyota truck is the off-road aftermarket support though. Frame-mounted rock sliders? No problem. Mid/ long travel suspension? Absolutely. Full on trail armor? Easy. Good luck finding that readily available for the half-ton Ram.

All things said and done, I'm extremely happy with my Ram. It's the better looking truck (opinion), more technologically advanced truck (fact), and payments are much more reasonable (situational). Still though, Tundra is a nice truck.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I was initially looking at the Tundra when truck shopping. Had all the options picked out, mods lined up, money in hand. 6 Different dealers and the best they would do for me is $1500 off the sticker price, wouldn't budge another $500. I popped in to a Ram dealership where a friend of mine works, test drove the 1500, and was blown away by all the tech upgrades and ride quality. $14,000 off sticker price and 0% financing helped too.

The Tundra is a great truck with a loyal following, but long due for a re-hash. The 2016 is still riding on the 2007 platform, with an interior / exterior change in 2014. The fuel economy for the 5.7 averages around 13-14mpg. Hands down the best part of owning a Toyota truck is the off-road aftermarket support though. Frame-mounted rock sliders? No problem. Mid/ long travel suspension? Absolutely. Full on trail armor? Easy. Good luck finding that readily available for the half-ton Ram.

All things said and done, I'm extremely happy with my Ram. It's the better looking truck (opinion), more technologically advanced truck (fact), and payments are much more reasonable (situational). Still though, Tundra is a nice truck.

Amen! :favorites13:

madrussian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I echo the sentiments of the above.... I love Toyota, and my old man had a Tundra when I was purchasing my RAM. I wanted a redesigned Tundra, but as mentioned the lack of discounts and financing wasn't conducive to making a deal happen.

Seeing how much more they're giving off the RAM now even compared to when I bought mine in early '14 would make it even harder to go with Toyota.

Its the same reason I can't bring myself to buy a Tacoma. Resale value is amazing, but they sell them at list, have no financing incentives and are almost the same price.

crash_eco

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
i drove a buddies tundra a few times, it was lifted with a nice set of mud tires. I looked at them before we decided to buy the ram, i just wasnt impressed with the truck. Now the Nissan Titan XD had it been out, it would have been on the list.

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
Have you seen the interior of the redesigned Nissan Titan though? Seems very dated when compared with a 2013+ Ram.

I liked the Titans back when they first debuted. Didn't mind the redesigned Tundras either. However, both are blown away by the technology in the Ram, in my opinion. Even Ford has caught up and finally has some nice tech in their newer trucks.

Sorry to say that the few Tundra owners I know have been into their dealerships more than the Ram owners I know, and I ain't talking about just recalls. Toyota may supposedly have better reliability in the car market than many, but in the truck market, the margins between different brands' reliability is much narrower and a much different story.

Ignore Consumer Reports' "predicted reliability" which is not based on any present reviews, and take a look at the JD Power studies, much more accurate when it comes to pickups.