Less than 1 year with a Tundra and I'm back into a Ram!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FloridaHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had a 2017 Pearl White Ram 1500 Longhorn from 2019 until a year ago when I was driving cross country and the transmission failed and I sold it and got into a Tundra. Once I got used to the Tundra and spent more time in it, I realized screw Toyota reliability, this things sucks compared to the ram's interiors and drive.

I missed everything about the Longhorn living in the Rockies, heated seats, heated steering wheel, drive, sound (hemi 4 life), etc.

Welp I'm back and this time in a 5th gen Limited with some new features (12in screen, rear locker, and e-torque).

Bought her off a 1 owner who leased it for the last 3 years. Going to ride the air suspension until it fails and replaced it with a 4 or 5 inch lift kit and 35s on some new wheels.
Good to be back and looking forward to sharing the progress as I build her out.

P.S. Those racks and tonneau cover are from my 4th gen. It's like I never left! ✊

Attachments

• Ram1500.jpg
    Ram1500.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Ram15003.jpg
    Ram15003.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 63

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My father has a 2016 tundra TRD off-road. as nice as his is I think my 17 express feels more comfortable and has the same technology features. The new tundras have some nicer features but the rams still seem better. The only other truck I would think about right now would be the f150. :doublepuke: I will never ever own another gm product. Only real Downfall I see with the tundra is it does not use a v8 anymore. Twin turbo 6 is their only motor available in the new truck. Although if I had to buy a new truck it would most likely be a ram 3500 srw Cummins or a 2500 6.4 hemi so I could be a 5th wheel

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome back, good looking RAM!

Let us know when you are ready to replace the air suspension with a lift. We have assisted may others get rid of their air suspension for a lift kit package

Bernwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Less than a year? I only made it 4 months. Similar situation--2017 RAM had issues with check engine light flashing, engine vibrating (maybe fuel injection), normal mechanic couldn't find anything, suggested a trip to the dealer but first appointment was 3 months out.

Don't really like Tundras, but I drive from OR to CA a lot, thought the "contract" was that you bought one and you never had problems. Instead, I had nothing but problems for 4 months. Many were because of dealer incompetence or negligence in doing the "Pre Delivery Inspection," but even once I resolved those the Tundra still asked me for a pin every 5 minutes, the ABS system went off all the time no matter I adjusted the sensitivity to the lowest settings, had two safety recalls, etc. I couldn't stand it.

I had the lemon law attorney ready to go for the "Pin" issue, but then just traded it in on a new 1500 Rebel. I lost more money than I'd care to, but glad my first and only experience with Toyota is over..

Of course the 1500 screen started rebooting on the way home from the dealer (not kidding), but at least I love the truck, will work with them to fix it.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Less than a year? I only made it 4 months. Similar situation--2017 RAM had issues with check engine light flashing, engine vibrating (maybe fuel injection), normal mechanic couldn't find anything, suggested a trip to the dealer but first appointment was 3 months out.

Don't really like Tundras, but I drive from OR to CA a lot, thought the "contract" was that you bought one and you never had problems. Instead, I had nothing but problems for 4 months. Many were because of dealer incompetence or negligence in doing the "Pre Delivery Inspection," but even once I resolved those the Tundra still asked me for a pin every 5 minutes, the ABS system went off all the time no matter I adjusted the sensitivity to the lowest settings, had two safety recalls, etc. I couldn't stand it.

I had the lemon law attorney ready to go for the "Pin" issue, but then just traded it in on a new 1500 Rebel. I lost more money than I'd care to, but glad my first and only experience with Toyota is over..

Of course the 1500 screen started rebooting on the way home from the dealer (not kidding), but at least I love the truck, will work with them to fix it.
I've had numerous experiences with Toyotas over the past 51 years I've been driving. Overall, my experiences were good ones. Some gave no problems, others had some... same results I've gotten from GM/ Ford/ Jeep/ et. al.
It's probably the luck of the draw!

The Rams are way more comfortable than Tundra. Every vehicle type/brand has it's upticks and lesser-than aspects compared to something else.

It's good that you are so chuffed over Ram!

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I really wanted a Tundra at first as my wife has gone through 2 Highlanders and a Lexus that were just about as trouble free as is possible and were well built and comfortable. Then I found out the V8 was gone. Then I found out how poor the V8 mileage was which ruled out a used one. Then I found out the turbos on the V6 were failing and owners were reporting a major decline in reliability. And on top of that I saw a video of one with a sunroof that an adult couldn’t sit in the back seat w/o their head brushing the headliner (not that I cared for another sunroof that I never used). Sitting in one, it felt more of the size inside as our last Highlander and smaller than the RAM. Thats a twist - an American vehicle that makes better use of its interior space than a Japanese vehicle. I did like the little combination safe in the console but really it’s just a gimmick and the stickers were lower than the RAM but I’m doubtful the out the door price would have been as good. No regrets on going with the RAM.

tacomak22

Reaction score
I really wanted a Tundra at first as my wife has gone through 2 Highlanders and a Lexus that were just about as trouble free as is possible and were well built and comfortable. Then I found out the V8 was gone. Then I found out how poor the V8 mileage was which ruled out a used one. Then I found out the turbos on the V6 were failing and owners were reporting a major decline in reliability. And on top of that I saw a video of one with a sunroof that an adult couldn’t sit in the back seat w/o their head brushing the headliner (not that I cared for another sunroof that I never used). Sitting in one, it felt more of the size inside as our last Highlander and smaller than the RAM. Thats a twist - an American vehicle that makes better use of its interior space than a Japanese vehicle. I did like the little combination safe in the console but really it’s just a gimmick and the stickers were lower than the RAM but I’m doubtful the out the door price would have been as good. No regrets on going with the RAM.
go sit in a tacoma.... if your remotely close to 6ft tall your head will brush the headliner as well. i really do not understand how grown adults can daily a tacoma

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I understand that with the Sunroof, in the back seat, adults heads are essentially stuck up in a recess in the headliner behind the rear of the sunroof. Lean forward and bump your head on the headliner. And for a truck of this dimension, why does it feel so much narrower inside than a RAM?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Toyota... simply, boringly, reliable. When the destination matters more than the journey, Toyota is what you want.

Not knocking that, it's what lots of people look for in a vehicle. A Toyota will run 200k miles (or more) with only minor maintenance. Mopars won't to that. You'll have more enjoyment of the drive with the Mopar while you've got it, but it will cost you more to keep on the road.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had a 2017 Pearl White Ram 1500 Longhorn from 2019 until a year ago when I was driving cross country and the transmission failed and I sold it and got into a Tundra. Once I got used to the Tundra and spent more time in it, I realized screw Toyota reliability, this things sucks compared to the ram's interiors and drive.

I missed everything about the Longhorn living in the Rockies, heated seats, heated steering wheel, drive, sound (hemi 4 life), etc.

Welp I'm back and this time in a 5th gen Limited with some new features (12in screen, rear locker, and e-torque).

Bought her off a 1 owner who leased it for the last 3 years. Going to ride the air suspension until it fails and replaced it with a 4 or 5 inch lift kit and 35s on some new wheels.
Good to be back and looking forward to sharing the progress as I build her out.

P.S. Those racks and tonneau cover are from my 4th gen. It's like I never left! ✊
I've had my Ram since 2018. Never had a problem with the air suspension. Had problems with the gas pedal from time to time, but I have a Pedal Commander in as well, and that's where the issue sometimes crops up with the computer thinking my gas pedal has a low voltage condition. I just set the PC mode back to the way the truck is stock, reset the ODBII code, and back in business. Only time it's a real PITA is if it throws the code while I'm driving - then the truck goes into "limp" mode. Happens about once every six-eight months. Good luck with your new one!

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’m actually a Toyota fan having gone through 2 Highlanders that were absolutely reliable and low maintenance. I didn‘t even have to do any brake work until around 110,000 miles on the 12 we just sold. Still was in factory alignment at 144,000 miles. Just change the oil, put new tires on now and then, fill it with gas and drive. My wife now has a Lexus that seems to be following suit. I really wanted a Tundra but after sitting in one and then finding out the V8 model was gone and the turbo 6 was having problems, it seemed that RAM had the edge over everybody on reliability, quality and comfort.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Laramie 4x4 QC, True Blue Pearl
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Outside of routine scheduled maintenance items the only thing my 2014 1500 has cost me is exhaust manifold bolts and a fuel sensor. I really love this thing!
And still no tick!
I guess I'd better find a really big piece of wood to knock on now.

woah...wait...what... let me re-phrase :oops:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've had my Ram since 2018. Never had a problem with the air suspension. Had problems with the gas pedal from time to time, but I have a Pedal Commander in as well, and that's where the issue sometimes crops up with the computer thinking my gas pedal has a low voltage condition. I just set the PC mode back to the way the truck is stock, reset the ODBII code, and back in business. Only time it's a real PITA is if it throws the code while I'm driving - then the truck goes into "limp" mode. Happens about once every six-eight months. Good luck with your new one!
The only safe pedal mod is the banks pedal monster, it powers itself via the obd2 port instead of the line voltage on the pedal. There is not enough amps available on that pedal circuit so that's why it goes loopy at times. Great way to induce unintended acceleration.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only safe pedal mod is the banks pedal monster, it powers itself via the obd2 port instead of the line voltage on the pedal. There is not enough amps available on that pedal circuit so that's why it goes loopy at times. Great way to induce unintended acceleration.
Never had an unintended acceleration. Just a check engine light a little more than once or so a year with "limp mode" which only made accelerating up past 45 MPH a very, very slow process. So - just pull over, set the PC mode to factory pedal, reset the check engine light with Alpha, problem resolved. However, that being said, I use my OBDII port for other things, so that makes the pedal monster a non-starter unless it's got a passthru for the OBD.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Never had an unintended acceleration. Just a check engine light a little more than once or so a year with "limp mode" which only made accelerating up past 45 MPH a very, very slow process. So - just pull over, set the PC mode to factory pedal, reset the check engine light with Alpha, problem resolved. However, that being said, I use my OBDII port for other things, so that makes the pedal monster a non-starter unless it's got a passthru for the OBD.

Pretty sure I've seen Y adapters before but could be wrong. In any case, you're playing with the pedal circuit and you already know it's doing wonky things. So far it hasn't been life threatening but that doesn't mean your pedal might not just go all WOT on you at a red stoplight or whatever.

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've had the same Commander since 2018, have only thrown a code 3 times. Each time I disconnected the PC, reset the code with my Reader, drove for a day disconnected and then plugged it back in.

Never put me in limp mode, gave a ECM fault.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Here you go guys, Banks builds an OBDII splitter, and also builds the best pedal mod which won't throw your truck into limp mode or throw codes (I'd never run any of that cheap stuff):

The splitter:

The pedal monster

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
M
Here you go guys, Banks builds an OBDII splitter, and also builds the best pedal mod which won't throw your truck into limp mode or throw codes (I'd never run any of that cheap stuff):

The splitter:

The pedal monster
Modifying existing technology in things mechanical has always been at the root of making things better, more convenient, etc. The old Red Green show out of Canada was a wonderful satire to that truth. (Thank God for duct tape, eh?)

As I observe through this and other forums, witness it in real time/ life, I read about it, witness it, and am called in to repair different renditions of unintended problems which are caused by the most well-intended DIY'er, I have for myself decided that:
1) If I want a convertible, I'll buy one instead of installing a sun roof in my existing vehicle
2) If I want upwards of 40 MPG, I'll buy a puddle jumper vehicle designed for the sole purpose of economy, I'll respect the difference in intended use/ purpose of devices, contraptions, et. al.
IOW, I will not use my table saw to slice lunch meat.
3) Through my own education and experiences, I've seen some real interesting issues arise from modifications, especially the ones done by the more mis-led folks who have been subjected to influence of Youtubers, glossy print ads, and vendors hawking their latest "snake oil" cure for pesky things that drain one's wallet, and very little else.

One interesting phenomena I've seen several times in days of yore was the crazy, unpredictable electrical foibles which are borne of modifications, is when a person would put a thumpy-boom box in a vehicle (Early days of this) and would have crazy side effects elsewhere.

One that really sticks out in my mind was a 2002 GMC Envoy. The customer, who was my age, had bought this car new for his wife to drive for her needs. Fast forward to 2011, his daughter came of driving age, and said customer gives this car to his daughter and buys Mamma a new vehicle.

Said daughter has a boyfriend who "talks" her into installing a stereo, amplifier, and thump-boom box in the cargo area, sporting a pair of rather large woofers..

As that summer came around, said daughter complained to Daddy that the EATC (Electronic Automatic Climate) control system would randomly go from 60 degrees max A/C in the heat of the day to full on HEAT!!

Interestingly, this began very soon after previously mentioned "Thumpy-Boom" window rattle system was installed. Hmm? Where to begin?

I've seen many loud systems that were just like this, but this was a new challenge.

The power wires for the Amp went directly to the battery. OK, so what? Well, a car's battery is a huge capacitor. Clue #1.

A scan of the vehicle showed, in particular, the Zoned EATC had DTC's and the one which grabbed my attention was the feared "U" code.

Now, where is the next diagnostic destination? I got out my oscilloscope, and was able to pick up high EMF "damped sine wave" patterns of great magnitude on the negative battery cable! WTF?
These noises were present only with the thumpy system going at high volume!
Time to put on my thinking cap.......

In one of those 2 AM "GREAT SCOT" moments akin to doc on Back to the future, it dawned on me. What do those huge woofers both possess? The answer was "HUGE magnets!

What's the significance of that? Well, when the system drove the woofers outward, it took charging the coils at the magnets! "So what?" one might ask. The answer was/is that when the field which drove those speakers out collapses and the cones return to rest, that collapsed field was throwing a high voltage spike through the car's battery, thence the entire electrical system!!

The solution other than disconnecting that system was to put a 1 FARAD capacitor on the amplifier, which was adjacent to the speaker box. Problem solved.

With the new FD CAN/BUS systems seen today, I'd be remiss not to advise one to keep things stock. Otherwise, thy might just turn their car into a potato masher! ;) ;)

P.S. in the days since, those loud systems have their own high volume capacitors, mitigating emf feedback.
As far as APP systems on cars/trucks, I'd professionally and personally leave them alone. But then, I'm NOT the guy on Red Green either!

Last edited: