1500 Air Dam Worth It?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RockandPinyonPine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Does anyone know if the front air dam does anything for fuel mileage on the 4wd models or is it worth it to remove it for offroad clearance and appearance? I know it's supposed to redirect air to the bottom of the front tires, but to my knowledge it's the same dam on ifs 2wd and the slightly taller live axle 4wd models.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Can't speak specifically for your older truck, but I didn't notice any difference in fuel economy when I removed the one from my 5th gen. You might notice a difference in lab testing, but there was no noticeable difference in my real world use.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Old thread, asking anyway. Did you get a check engine light when removing the air dam ?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Old thread, asking anyway. Did you get a check engine light when removing the air dam ?
I assume you're asking me about the active air dam on a 5th gen since it looks like you have a 2022 1500. I didn't see a CEL when I removed the AAD on any of the three 5th gens we've owned. 2020 Laramie, 2020 Limited, and 2021 Limited. I've read that there will be a trouble code for it but it shouldn't trigger a CEL. To find out for sure just unplug yours and drive it for a few days if you don't want to commit to full removal.

I just want to point out that this is actually the 2nd gen forum and the OP was asking about the stationary air dam on their 2nd gen.

KYPOTLICKER

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you for the information, new to the forum, did not notice the original location of post.