17 1500 std. Cab 2wd 2/4 Belltech lowered vibration.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TOMZILLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so I have a 2017 1500 standard cab 2wd hemi that I lowered with the Belltech 2/4 spring/shock kit. I retained the stock front shocks. Also has 22" wheels with 305/40/22 front and rear.

Now the problem I'm having is at 65+ mph I get a vibration though the whole truck coming from what seems to be the rear portion of the truck. The vibration is odd that it is 3 seconds on then 1 second off then 3 secs on over and over..... Until the speeds drops below the low 60's.

I can see my rear axle is slightly forward in the wheel house. I do have the panhard relocation bracket installed. I've been reading about the pinion angle being off due to lowering and may be the cause of the vibration. If it matters my driveshaft looks to be a 2 piece. There is a rubber accordion boot in the center of it. Maybe they all do...

I'm sure others have had this issue. What has been the fix? Adjustable control arms?

20200326_144309.jpg

20200326_144319.jpg

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Good looking truck, mine was an Express 2011, it didnt have a rear sway bar, does yours?
I added it, and helped a ton!

20150620_162404.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Ok so I have a 2017 1500 standard cab 2wd hemi that I lowered with the Belltech 2/4 spring/shock kit. I retained the stock front shocks. Also has 22" wheels with 305/40/22 front and rear.

Now the problem I'm having is at 65+ mph I get a vibration though the whole truck coming from what seems to be the rear portion of the truck. The vibration is odd that it is 3 seconds on then 1 second off then 3 secs on over and over..... Until the speeds drops below the low 60's.

I can see my rear axle is slightly forward in the wheel house. I do have the panhard relocation bracket installed. I've been reading about the pinion angle being off due to lowering and may be the cause of the vibration. If it matters my driveshaft looks to be a 2 piece. There is a rubber accordion boot in the center of it. Maybe they all do...

I'm sure others have had this issue. What has been the fix? Adjustable control arms?

View attachment 200599

View attachment 200600

If it's a vibration you can probably cure it with a set of adjustable locating arms,Core make a decent set,but if it's more like a high speed sway you'll want the Inez relocation brackets.Actually the Inez brackets are probably you're better option over the adjustable arms,as they bring the rear suspension geometory back into spec,ideally if you a big enough budget it doesn't hurt to do both the relocation brackets and the adjustable arms,but to do both will lighten your wallet a fair bit,but that is the proper way to lower a 4th Gen.The short wheelbase regular cab shortboxes are notorious for developing a bad high speed sway and/or killer wheelhop when lowered. Be forewarned if you have the 8 speed and 392 gears,don't run the truck up much past 90 mph with the stock driveshaft,as it'll ruin your day in a hurry if you get up above a 100 mph,they are famous for breaking the driveshaft,and usually do it once you get close to 5200 driveshaft rpm,which is just over a 105 mph with 3.92 gears.Go onto High Performance Rams on Facebook and track down Jason Duria,he was looking into having better drive shafts made for the little trucks.DSS makes a replacement drive shaft,but it's not great either,as it has a habit of breaking the transmission case if you're not spot on with your measurements,and you hit a big bump.

OP
OP
TOMZILLA

TOMZILLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Good looking truck, mine was an Express 2011, it didnt have a rear sway bar, does yours?
I added it, and helped a ton!

View attachment 200608

Mine is an ST model and no didn't have a rear sway bar. I've just added a stock one last night and used the Belltech end links that came with the kit. I have access to many stock parts as a friend owns a rebuildable car lot. This where my truck came from. Well special ordered though him and bought from Copart as he'd never buy a 2wd std. cab truck. I've done a ton of upgrading and now its basically the same as a Bighorn. I have still yet to get my hands on some leather seats, most likely from a Laramie.

7760b77f-c30d-4b3c-8811-3ea7ac95e93a.jpg

71ac7050-5c5c-412e-ad26-69f0ec6311d8.jpg

87935eaf-db74-433a-8092-d23113500776.jpg

20200326_144419.jpg

OP
OP
TOMZILLA

TOMZILLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If it's a vibration you can probably cure it with a set of adjustable locating arms,Core make a decent set,but if it's more like a high speed sway you'll want the Inez relocation brackets.Actually the Inez brackets are probably you're better option over the adjustable arms,as they bring the rear suspension geometory back into spec,ideally if you a big enough budget it doesn't hurt to do both the relocation brackets and the adjustable arms,but to do both will lighten your wallet a fair bit,but that is the proper way to lower a 4th Gen.The short wheelbase regular cab shortboxes are notorious for developing a bad high speed sway and/or killer wheelhop when lowered. Be forewarned if you have the 8 speed and 392 gears,don't run the truck up much past 90 mph with the stock driveshaft,as it'll ruin your day in a hurry if you get up above a 100 mph,they are famous for breaking the driveshaft,and usually do it once you get close to 5200 driveshaft rpm,which is just over a 105 mph with 3.92 gears.Go onto High Performance Rams on Facebook and track down Jason Duria,he was looking into having better drive shafts made for the little trucks.DSS makes a replacement drive shaft,but it's not great either,as it has a habit of breaking the transmission case if you're not spot on with your measurements,and you hit a big bump.

I was thinking of the adjustable arms. I had the IHC bars on the radar. https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2...ustable-rear-control-arms-no-cutting-required

My truck is an 8 speed and rear end is the 3:21 open gear. I was going to get my hands on a 3:92 locker. But maybe I should skip it then?

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
@TOMZILLA well that should help. It did on mine too. Yes the Express is an ST, similar to how yours is ending up., I was gonna say I have the stock sway bar and links if you needed them.
But that, along with what @Wild one mentioned, the adjustable rear control arms will help!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I was thinking of the adjustable arms. I had the IHC bars on the radar. https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2...ustable-rear-control-arms-no-cutting-required

My truck is an 8 speed and rear end is the 3:21 open gear. I was going to get my hands on a 3:92 locker. But maybe I should skip it then?

If you like to drive it fairly quickly at times stick with the 3.21's and put a limited slip unit in it,lol.BTW sharp looking little truck,but then again i'm biased towards bright red shortboxes,mines a Sport the same colour,lol.If you haven't already joined High Performance Rams on facebook,it's well worth joining as there's a ****load of guys with shortbox trucks on the site and it's a great place to get info from at times,this site is okay,but there's very few guys left on here that are into the little regular cab trucks or into adding much in the way of horsepower these days,they all seem to have migrated to facebook lately.
If you join high performance rams don't be scared to tag me,and i'll post a pic of my truck for you,it's a lowered regular cab shortbox to.I've never been able to get pic's on here,lol
Rick Wildman

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Do
Now I'm looking at the no cut relocation brackets. I wonder if I'd be better off with them to avoid having to play with adjusting the control arms to get it right. That is if the no cut relocation brackets work as good?

https://ihcsuspension.com/product/2009-2018-dodge-ram-4-link-relocation-brackets-no-cut-kit

Don't rule out the "cut" versions,especially if you ever think you might want to go down another inch or more on the rear.
I run the older Illicit "cut" brackets on my 4" rear dropped, truck,which are very similar to the Inez brackets but are no longer available.Inez lists his no cut brackets as good to 5",but I wouldn't run them at anything more then a 4" drop,and even then they are close to their limits,they're more suited for a 3" drop then a 4 or 5" drop

OP
OP
TOMZILLA

TOMZILLA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do

Don't rule out the "cut" versions,especially if you ever think you might want to go down another inch or more on the rear.
I run the older Illicit "cut" brackets on my 4" rear dropped, truck,which are very similar to the Inez brackets but are no longer available.Inez lists his no cut brackets as good to 5",but I wouldn't run them at anything more then a 4" drop,and even then they are close to their limits,they're more suited for a 3" drop then a 4 or 5" drop

Thanks. I think I'll go with the cut version brackets. I'm a 25+ year body man so cutting them isn't an issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357