180 tstat and heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
anyone with a 180 tstat notice a problem with their heat inside the truck? im still having problems with my heat even after taking apart my hvac system and replacing the heater core. My truck gets up to about 193 degrees so its warmed up but the heat coming out the vents is just somewhat warm.... im starting to get really pissed with this thing. will the like 20 degree difference with a 180 tstat make that much of a difference? I felt the hoses leading to the core and noticed one was burning hot and the other was just somewhat hot, now I know it will lose heat passing through the core but possibly the new heater core got clogged again? Im completely stumped now... what do yall think?

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
I always noticed that it took longer for the heater to get up to full heat with the 180 stat, but it was always plenty warm enough.

OP
OP
TexasRammer

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you burp the system really well?
.... how did I forget that:Stupid Me:.... pretty sure I didnt, but I dont think that would make that much of a difference. Ill do that later

I always noticed that it took longer for the heater to get up to full heat with the 180 stat, but it was always plenty warm enough.
yeah it seems to take a while but even at normal temps its not that warm. I did the core swap last summer and about a month ago when I used the heat it seemed to work fine and got pretty warm in the cab but it wasnt that cold out so I didnt use it for long but it seemed like it was warmer then it is now

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'd be surprised what air trapped in your cooling system can do...probably have an air pocket in the heater core.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
My 170* warms up just as fast as my stock system did far as the air temp, maybe I lucked out on that. The 180* was the same way, im running Stant's also, not the Jet.

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Slightly off topic but what does the 180 deg tstat do for you anyway? whats the stock temp tstat?

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
The colder T-stat helps richen up the A/F and keep cylinder temps down. The Hemi's run alill over 200 stock and cooling it down helps when you make a wide open pull as the motor makes more heat through the pull. You will see alot of guys running headers do that to keep the A/F closer to what it needs to be because the headers will lean out the A/F causing issues. You will also help prevent knock and be able to be safer all the way around.

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The colder T-stat helps richen up the A/F and keep cylinder temps down. The Hemi's run alill over 200 stock and cooling it down helps when you make a wide open pull as the motor makes more heat through the pull. You will see alot of guys running headers do that to keep the A/F closer to what it needs to be because the headers will lean out the A/F causing issues. You will also help prevent knock and be able to be safer all the way around.

Oh that's great to know because I run long tube headers and would love to know if mine had ever been changed to a 180.... Sounds like my truck would run better with that mod and its cheap! Thank you for the info!

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Its a fairly quick swap you can run a Jet or buy a Stant and run that. It the Jet will drop right in an Moe's sells them, the Stant you should be able to find at a local auto parts store but may require a quick trim.

bronx79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Its a fairly quick swap you can run a Jet or buy a Stant and run that. It the Jet will drop right in an Moe's sells them, the Stant you should be able to find at a local auto parts store but may require a quick trim.

When you say "drop in" does that mean I don't have to drain fluids or at least all of it? And I not sure what you mean by start? Love the MOE's website! I will for sure buy from Matt. Thank you

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Stant is a name brand like Jet is. You will lose some fluid, if you have never changed your rad fluid this would be the time to go ahead and swap it out. You will just need a large pan to catch all of it and new Mopar coolant to go back in with distilled water. Mopar is going to need to be cut, they do not offer a premix.

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
True, there is also a Cat Machinery aintifreeze that has HOAT