1987 brake line query

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chojinchef

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would normally be a simple repair - but repair one and the next one breaks, repeat until frustrated.

So I started looking into a stainless pre bent kit, so I can do it once and be done. Truck is a 1987 D250, standard cab longbed. If the intermediate line that runs the length of the chassis were not so long, I might just get a generic steel line and make it up. But if I need to pull the tank, I am considering option of the stainless kit.

Question is - what is difference in hard brake lines for a 1/2 ton vs a 3/4 ton?

LMC offers kits and for all short beds, they list 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton as same kit. With longbeds the earlier 73-77, and 78-79 are same kits, but for some reason the 80-89s are listed 1/2 ton only.

A call to them yielded a generic “we don’t offer a kit for that truck”, so I am left confused and reaching out to the forum for any clarification.

Thanks for reading, and any suggestions.

BTW - lurking since inheriting truck 6 months ago, but first time post. Elderly couple across the street said if I could get it going, I could have it. Carb rebuild and tune up, plus a day and it’s in my yard.

Last edited:

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
IIRC, That era had a rear valve that was mounted on the drivers side rear of the chassis that the line went to first. I don't believe the 1/2 tons did.

u2slow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6BTA
I prefer the copper-nickel tubing. Much easier to bend and flare. Still good rust resistance.

My 1/2tons had the ABS valve too.