1996 Ram 1500 with a 2000 engine. Way to make temp gauge work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flecker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
Hi, first post here... I did search but couldn't find an answer to my question.

I have a 96 Ram 1500 with a 5.9L. The engine was replaced prior to me having worked on it with I believe a 360 from a later year. There is only ONE boss for a temp sensor/ sender location. My harness has a plug for a sender and a separate plug for a sensor (one that feeds data to ecu). I currently have the sensor in use and plugged in, the other sender for the gauge just dangles currently and the gauge is inactive. What are my options here? I see the location where the other boss for the sender would/ could go. Will I need to drill and tap? Or is there a different sensor I could use and modify the harness to work?

Halp! Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

macdaddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7hemi
This will sound crazy, but try going into your ECU if you can, and set the coolant temperature sensor or cabin gauge cluster where you can set the temperature sensor to not present and see if it comes on because mine did