20" Plain Steel Wheel Rim for Spare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nbb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My 2016 Ram 1500 currently has a 17" spare but I'm running P275/60R20 tires on it. I'd like to find a plain steel 20" rim to change out the spare tire so it matches the tires I have on the truck. Does anyone know where I can find a plain steel 20" rim that won't cost a fortune? Based on my search so far you would think I was on a quest for the Holy Grail. No one seems to have one or know where I can get one. Also for P275/60R20's tires do I need the 8" or 9" wide rim?
Many thanks!

soSincerious

Reaction score
Ram Year
'16 1500 QC express
Engine
5.7 4x4 3.92 LSD
... but why?

a spare is meant to be a spare. meaning, you don't ride on it more than a few miles to get the tire repaired or replaced. it's not meant to look stylish. its purely functional.

the spare is a space-saver style for a reason. a full-size spare likely will not fit. unless of course you plan on keeping a full size spare in the bed. in that case, why not search for an OEM wheel + tire?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you're looking for a spare to match what you have I would say buy another rim like what you have. Otherwise spares are emergency tires to get you to a tire shop or safely off the side of the road. Usually true spares that are matching are for off-roading when you blow out and you can get back off the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
I imagine he wants a 'same size' spare because he would like to be able to use his spare in 4WD if needed. An undersize spare will tear things up in 4x4. He probably wants a plain steel one because the center opening is compatible with the spare tire mount's winch adapter, whereas the alloy wheels aren't. The center opening is smaller on the factory alloys and the chrome clads.

@ the OP- An 8' wide rim will work for the spare, 9' would be better. Just make sure the backspacing is correct.

Last edited:

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even a spare will have the same height of a stock tire so 4wd is still useable

maxx442

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 3500
Engine
6.7 H.O.
True, but with a lot taller sidewall and very different handling characteristics. And besides that, maybe he wants to do five wheel tire rotations instead of four.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Like mentioned above , a spare is a spare , ment for short term use .
The overall highth of the TIRE is the same there will be no issues in 2wd or 4wd .

My 14 has 20" wheels and my spare is also a plain steel 17" wheel , but as mentioned the tires overall highth is the same ....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like mentioned above , a spare is a spare , ment for short term use .
The overall highth of the TIRE is the same there will be no issues in 2wd or 4wd .

My 14 has 20" wheels and my spare is also a plain steel 17" wheel , but as mentioned the tires overall highth is the same ....

I can confirm that this is indeed the case. I had to run the spare for a few miles on a forest service road after I cut a tire. While I was worried it would ride "funny" it was actually just fine. I had to leave it on for the 70 miles back to Seattle as the cut could not be repaired and being late in the day there were to tires stores that were open. Ride on the highway at ~ 60 MPH was just fine, could not tell the spare was there.

I would prefer a 20 inch rim with a like for like spare, but the temporary that is included on our trucks seems to do the job.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well said Sir !

wobly

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I can confirm that this is indeed the case. I had to run the spare for a few miles on a forest service road after I cut a tire. While I was worried it would ride "funny" it was actually just fine. I had to leave it on for the 70 miles back to Seattle as the cut could not be repaired and being late in the day there were to tires stores that were open. Ride on the highway at ~ 60 MPH was just fine, could not tell the spare was there.

I would prefer a 20 inch rim with a like for like spare, but the temporary that is included on our trucks seems to do the job.
This is why I actually found a steel 20" spare for my truck. I had the 17" spare with the tall tire, but I was concerned with towing a trailer or getting out of the woods on it. I searched on Craigslist and found one from a guy that traded in his truck but kept the spare, for whatever reason. It gave me piece of mind over the original spare.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I actually found a steel 20" spare for my truck. I had the 17" spare with the tall tire, but I was concerned with towing a trailer or getting out of the woods on it. I searched on Craigslist and found one from a guy that traded in his truck but kept the spare, for whatever reason. It gave me piece of mind over the original spare.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Good to know. I spoke to one tire shop and they said 20 inch steel spare rims are not currently being offered. I think I need to broaden my search