REACHING OUT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I just turned 60,000 miles on my 2016 Eco-diesel 2X4 , limited slip differential , Daily Driving Highway Princess

I tossed my OEM Shock Absorbers at about 50,000 miles, i was all over the road at the far end of Highway Bridges.
Now it has Bilsteins

Time to look at Brake Fluid color/clarity

My dealership before Covid was the only place that i had do my Servicing & therefore Records Keeping
I could take the recommended fluids & filters from anywhere ONSALE & take everything to my dealership & just pay Labor Fees.
NOW, Maintenance Items are done by the EXPRESS LANE, no Appointment needed, because there is never a line.
ALL Maintenance Items have to be purchased from that Dealership . . .

They just lost another customer for Maintenance Items
I am 80 & i will no longer climb under anything with 4 wheels.
( i actually stopped that, when i last rolled over my hair with the creeper wheels )

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
At 100km or 60k miles it’s mostly fluids provided you do regular maintenance and keep up with various filter changes.
Transmission fluid-ZF recommends 60K miles
Brake fluid
Rear differential
If you have a 4X4 the front differential and transfer case.

Aftermarket fluids that meet specs are acceptable. I personally use Valvoline fluids in the diffs as it comes in squeeze packs that make fills easier.

Transmission I’d use the Lifeguard 8 or Mopar 8&9 speed fluid. You’ll need a new pan as the filter is built in. OEM pan is great but more expensive. There are quality aftermarket pans available like Dorman for less.

Plugs are iridium and go 100k.
OEM antifreeze is a 10 year, 150k mile formula, on a 2021 it’s overkill to change at 60k. Same for the thermostat. At 60k miles change the fluids as that goes a long way in preventing future problems.

OP
OP
Dave Haddon

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is a good thread for a lot of personal preferences on what to do or has been done. Ultimately it is good foundation for my own consideration. I am like some fall to the preventative side...I DON'T TOW..If we are talking MILES not KM..I Have plenty of time as I am at 80K in KM..( 50K MILES )..I have a 2 trips upcoming of about 5 K KM ..each..probably will do all the fluids..check the brakes...no SALT out here in SK...so rust is neglible as vehicle is cleaned regularly..Do the RED Line every few months..have a Catch Can..

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This thermostat is about $20 more than a Milodon
LOL i know all about Stuarts thermostat,it's a bit better then Milodons version,but it's also the thermostat that i've ran into twice where it'd locked itself shut. Both started to get sticky at about the 6 month mark. If a guy could get the old Gates thermostats,they were one of the better thermostats,but the original Gates company is no more,and Motorads i wouldn't trust any farther then i can throw them.
These days if you get more then a year out of a thermostat you're doing good,and don't be surprised if it starts to get sticky after a few months.Just cause it worked when you installed it,doesn't mean it'll still work 6 months down the road :rolleyes:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I had great success with these in mine and others HEMI's.
Just need to ensure you clock the bleeder at the 12-oclock position

Jet is just a rebranded Motorad,and theres a few outfits who won't carry the Jets anymore.I went through 3 of their thermostats in less then 6 months,and the local speed shop was warrenty'ing them for me,but when they tried to get warrenty out of Jet they were SOL. Big Mike had a couple more of them fail after mine,and he was warrenty'ing them out of his own pocket,after he'd ate about a 1/2 dozen of them,he sent all of them back,and won't order a Jet even if you ask him. You might get the odd good Jet,but there's a good chance you'll also get a dud one from them.
About all i'll say,is don't be surprised when a thermostat fails,no matter what brand it is.If you start to have heating issues,the first place i start is with a thermostat test,and go from there,lol

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
Jet is just a rebranded Motorad,and theres a few outfits who won't carry the Jets anymore.I went through 3 of their thermostats in less then 6 months,and the local speed shop was warrenty'ing them for me,but when they tried to get warrenty out of Jet they were SOL. Big Mike had a couple more of them fail after mine,and he was warrenty'ing them out of his own pocket,after he'd ate about a 1/2 dozen of them,he sent all of them back,and won't order a Jet even if you ask him. You might get the odd good Jet,but there's a good chance you'll also get a dud one from them.
About all i'll say,is don't be surprised when a thermostat fails,no matter what brand it is.If you start to have heating issues,the first place i start is with a thermostat test,and go from there,lol
Dang... you have had inconvenient experiences wit t-stats, Brother!
I'm going to have to completely change my entire modus operandi surrounding t-stats in general.

I do appreciate all your detailed and compelling input based on real world experiences!
I suppose I was the one in a bunch that has had good luck with them.

Now that I said that though.... lol

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The thermostat could well last the life of the truck.

But as with anything mechanical, some do eventually fail. The word on the street with current aftermarkt T-stat's is they 'ain't the quality they used to be.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Dang... you have had inconvenient experiences wit t-stats, Brother!
I'm going to have to completely change my entire modus operandi surrounding t-stats in general.

I do appreciate all your detailed and compelling input based on real world experiences!
I suppose I was the one in a bunch that has had good luck with them.

Now that I said that though.... lol
They have to make the odd good thermostat,lol. My problem is,a couple of my buddies come to me for a thermostat,so i have about 7 cars plus my own 3 i'm kind of in charge of staying on top of their cooling systems,lol.My one buddy owns a Super Stock / a 2018 Demon / Redeye / a 1320 and one normal Hellcat,and i'm in charge of keeping them all cool,and running decent.Only good thing is i get to drive all of them,lol. So i've tried a few differant brands of thermostats,lol

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Other great points made by others here, too.
Brake fluid is super important, and if you've not had it flushed & filled, it's a really good service to have done.

I have either a DOT4 or DOT5.1 fluid put in (Motul or StopTech) as they are better fluids than the stock DOT3.
That was me by the way. :p Lol.

Usually stick with dot 3. 4 can be used but supposedly draws more water over time. I don’t think 5 is comparable. These are not sports cars.

Ready to hear some points ether way.

Thanks.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You can get redline 75w85 and 75w90 for your differentials at Canadian tire for $24 each. Lordco had MT-LV transfer case fluid for $30. Done those a couple times already. Wait until the stock warranty is up before doing the transmission.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Dot 4 has a bit higher boiling temp. It's compatible with DOT3. So, either way. Just stick to what it says on your truck's brake cap..and you should be fine, unless ya do HD towing, or in the mountains or long hills, then a higher boiling temp would obviously be desirable.

Look at the fluid color in the master cylinder reservoir. It comes out of the jug clear as gin. Over time as it collects moisture, it turns more amber color then like Beer. See what the color is and it gives an indication of it's status.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My one buddy owns a Super Stock / a 2018 Demon / Redeye / a 1320 and one normal Hellcat,and i'm in charge of keeping them all cool,and running decent.Only good thing is i get to drive all of them
Need you to wish on a shooting star tonight that you were me and I was you.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Need you to wish on a shooting star tonight that you were me and I was you.
That's just his late model toys,his muscle car collection would make you drool even more,lol He races all of them too,they aren't just garage queens.

Lsujker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's just his late model toys,his muscle car collection would make you drool even more,lol He races all of them too,they aren't just garage queens.
Any GTX's with 440 4 speed? That would make me drool. Sadly classic mussel cars are out of reach for normies like me.

Did see a Yanko convertible Camaro yesterday. Probably not a real Yanko but looked cool.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Any GTX's with 440 4 speed? That would make me drool. Sadly classic mussel cars are out of reach for normies like me.

Did see a Yanko convertible Camaro yesterday. Probably not a real Yanko but looked cool.
No GTX's at the moment,but he's got a showcar 68 440 Coronet that has ran high 8's,and an absolutely beautiful 69 Barracuda fastback with an 426 cubed R3 block that has gone low 9's as his race cars,i've been known to drool on the Barracuda,lol. He's also got a rare 68 Scatpack 340/4 speed Dart with the ultra rare "Z" heads,plus a couple more early 340 /4 speed and automatic Dusters with one of them being a rare factory Panther Pink 340/4 speed Duster.

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
You can get redline 75w85 and 75w90 for your differentials at Canadian tire for $24 each. Lordco had MT-LV transfer case fluid for $30. Done those a couple times already. Wait until the stock warranty is up before doing the transmission.
While I hear you on this (re: waiting until the factory powertrain warranty is up), and don't necessarily disagree with your thought process overall.

However, as I've learned from my dealership buddy (who's also the Service Manager, too)...

Having the Dealership do this transmission service just before the factory powertrain warranty expires ensures that you then receive an additional two years of factory MOPAR new parts warranty on the job.

EDIT - one does also receive this same MOPAR New Parts Warranty regardless of time of service performed, but having it done just before the factory powertrain warranty expiration occurs sits on "their" books better for any type of claim one could have within the preceding two year warranty period ;) (that's how my buddy explained it to me).

If "they" f..it up (the full transmission service with new fluid and filter).... it's on them to remedy it, period!

There are ways to make it an advantageous position for oneself in these certain circumstances.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

This just popped up on my feed,lol