2002 4.7 is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenDilde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Hi! I'm new in here and living in Finland. I've been looking at a 1500 Ram with the 4.7 and it has about 160k miles on it. Haven't done Carfax yet and I'm not sure when it has been imported here. But what should I look out from it? Anything that should be worried about? By looking from the pictures it has no rust and all around looks is otettu spot on. Is the 4.7 how reliable engine? Thanks guys!

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It’s semi reliable if it’s not the original 4.7, they had very small oil galleries but were redesigned a few years later. If it’s an original,then it has some major flaws, I would stay away from the 02’s. I own one but it was replaced, but still not a performer, fuel mileage is worse than the 5.7. My truck runs great now but not without a lot of blood, sweat, tears and money! Jmho. O, and to add, if there is something wrong with it electronically, you cannot get a new tipcm, you have to source only used crap. They still make them new from 03+ but not 02.

OP
OP
B

BenDilde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Build sheet says this: 4.7L Engine(EVA)/4Spd A/T 45RFE(DG4)

SYKRAMMAN

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
06 Mega
Engine
It looks like it’s in nice shape bud, bring a mechanic that has a good scanner with you to check it out.

OP
OP
B

BenDilde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
It looks like it’s in nice shape bud, bring a mechanic that has a good scanner with you to check it out.
What should I read from it? Is there some kind of obd reader with I could read out the data?

OP
OP
B

BenDilde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
If this car really has only a bit over 100k miles, is there a risk that the oil galleries are already filled with junk? Okay I know that it's really about how it's been serviced. But could a engine flush do some preventing cure?

02ramboi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 v8
Looks really good I bought a 02 4.7 with 155000 miles and so far it’s doing me really well I maintain it like it’s Ferrari lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In my opinion that truck is way over priced. You could probably find a nicer truck over here in the states and have it imported to Finland for less than that truck.

OP
OP
B

BenDilde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
In my opinion that truck is way over priced. You could probably find a nicer truck over here in the states and have it imported to Finland for less than that truck.

Every damn american car is way too expensive in here. Thanks to a redicilous car taxin system. Like the brand new Ram. How much does it cost in the states? In here it's close to 100.000€ depending what are the options. And if I import a truck from the states to Finland I would have to pay ofcourse the shipment, but then I need to pay for the taxes and the registration and all of that will cost thousands of euros just to get that truck here so i could drive with it. So I think that this truck is yeah maybe a bit too expensive but maybe I could lower the prize a bit and don't have to worry about all the ******** just to import a truck to me :D

OP
OP
B

BenDilde

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
That is crazy. I'm thoroughly interested in how much it actually costs to import a vehicle.

Here's an example of a newer truck with less miles and has a Hemi. Asking price is about 9700 euros.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/728540749/overview/

If I didn't count this wrong it would cost just a bit under 15000 euros with the trucks price included to get that truck here and under licence :D

There is 10% customs fees, 24% taxes, about 1700€ import fees and about 200€ registration fees.

Last edited:

ST-8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From the pics it looks like a damn solid truck. An like you said. All the ********* you have to deal with I’d imagine with importing a truck would make it not worth it.