2002 Dodge Cummins Cranks But Wont Start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Hey all,
I have a 02 Dodge 2500 pick up that wont start for me.
The engine cranks over great, lots of battery power.

I have No dash lights or gauges working, no headlights.
It just seems the starter has power.

This is on a 6cyl Cummins in a 02 Dodge

any clues where to look for the problem?

Thanks

OP
OP
D

Daner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Hey all,
I have a 02 Dodge 2500 pick up that wont start for me.
The engine cranks over great, lots of battery power.

I have No dash lights or gauges working, no headlights.
It just seems the starter has power.

This is on a 6cyl Cummins in a 02 Dodge

any clues where to look for the problem?

Thanks

Update...I do have head lights and the wipers and heater works.

just no dash gauges and wont fire up.

Im the original owner on this truck, and I want to get it running again,

Its been sitting for 2 years

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are the glow plugs working? Is there a fuel primer? If it sat for 2 years you may need to drain the fuel out and put fresh fuel in it. You can use starting fluid to spray in the intake but if you don't know what you're doing then I wouldn't recommend that because you'll blow the head off if you spray too much. If it's got a block heater on it that works plug it in and let it warm up for a bit. That will help. Also check to see if any wires are chewed up as rodents love to use vehicles as their habitat especially if their habitat doesn't move for long periods of time

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Are the glow plugs working? Is there a fuel primer? If it sat for 2 years you may need to drain the fuel out and put fresh fuel in it. You can use starting fluid to spray in the intake but if you don't know what you're doing then I wouldn't recommend that because you'll blow the head off if you spray too much. If it's got a block heater on it that works plug it in and let it warm up for a bit. That will help. Also check to see if any wires are chewed up as rodents love to use vehicles as their habitat especially if their habitat doesn't move for long periods of time

Cummins don't use glow plugs

I'm not sure on the cummins but you can download the factory service manual for the 01 model year (will be 98% the same, very minor differences between 02 and 01 and it's mostly axle related) and do some reading on where the gauges get their signals from. I'm not sure if the cummins has a crank sensor either.

Last edited:

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins don't use glow plugs

I'm not sure on the cummins but you can download the factory service manual for the 01 model year (will be 98% the same, very minor differences between 02 and 01 and it's mostly axle related) and do some reading on where the gauges get their signals from. I'm not sure if the cummins has a crank sensor either.

Son of a *****, my whole life is a lie lol.

OP
OP
D

Daner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Guys I have traced it down to a wire that comes from the starter to a frame mount fuel pump relay on the firewall.
The relay has 2 wires going to the battery....2 wires going back to the fuel pump mounted on the frame...and then theres 2 wires going to the starter.

With the key "On" I think there should be power comeing from the starter to this relay
am I correct on this?

I use to here the pump turn on when I turn the key to on...now I don't.

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Pull the relay and hook up a ground where the starter ground wire hooks to. Then apply power to where the starter power wire hooks to. Should hear it click. If you don't, bad relay. If you do, probably fuel system

OP
OP
D

Daner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
If I here the relay click whouldent that mean a bad wire coming from the starter to the relay?

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
If it clicks AND you have power from the starter its fuel system or wiring to fuel system more than likely. I messed that up.

OP
OP
D

Daner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
Sounds good, I will give that a try:)

OP
OP
D

Daner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I got it running now, like you said with the power jumped to the relay made the pump run and it fired up rite away:favorites13:
Thanks for the help.

So now I can see that wire way down there going to the starter, this should be fun fixing the break.
There is a disconnect plug on the wire from the starter, maybe just a bad connection there, but its going to be tough to get my hands in there.

It was sure nice to hear that cummins purr again

Dan