2003 2500 hemi quad cab switching back to stock clutch fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlucks1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When I got my brand new 2003 2500 hemi quad cab manual transmission 2wd with lsd. I installed a K&N cold air intake, free flow muffler, and replaced the fan with a high performance electric fan pretty early on.
20 years later and no problems (although I wasn't doing any real heavy duty towing) and the electric fan thermal sensor wore a small hole in the radiator. I replaced the radiator and reinstalled the electric fan temporarily until I could find the original fan shroud and fan blades since I no longer trust the electric fan not to wear a hole in the new radiator. I found all my parts, except for the 4 bolts that attach the fan to the thermal clutch. I've not been able to find replacements. The diagrams I see do not show a part number for the oem bolts. Maybe just go to a dealer?
Thanks for any help.

OP
OP
D

dlucks1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Went to dealer to see if I could just get the right ones there. Said they could have 4 correct bolts in on Monday. About $75 total. Wow. Maybe I can find an alternative.
I'm sure they're metric not sure how long or if reverse thread.

Last edited:

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You could use a different type of sensor. They have some that go to the water inlet on the water pump. It just slides under the coolant hose between the rubber and the metal. That’s how I had mine on my fan setup, but I also had a variable speed fan controller from auto cool guy and his sensors are calibrated with his controllers. Then you could keep the electric fan

OP
OP
D

dlucks1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was thinking the same idea. remove the now bare metal thermal sensor and replace it with one that plugs into the outlet of the radiator. But I'm planning on doing more towing in the near future so was believing that going back to stock might be better plan. Of course I don't know if the clutch fan is operational anymore so I should test it probably before pulling of the electric fan. Just thinking putting a heat gun on it to gradually raise the temp ought to get it to slip less. I see I can buy 4 bolts from mopar online place for $20 and then add shipping and tax, still it comes to less than half the price of the dealer.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can probably sell you my old fan controller and temp sensor if you were interested. I’m no longer needing it since I’ve switched setups.

Ole Buck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Flex- a-Lite now sells the set up where you screw a sensor into the purge hole on the top radiator hose inlet. Very simple and works better than the probe.

flex.jpg