2003 4.7 TO 2003 5.7 ENGINE SWAP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tymccathern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, I am needing some help. I recently swapped a 2003 5.7 engine, PCM, TCM, harness and IPM. I am having a crank, no start issue. I am getting fuel at the rail and spark. The 4.7 did not have a security feature and the donor truck did not seem to have one either. i have already junked the truck so cannot get parts off of it. I was able to hook OEM scan tool on it, will not communicate with anything because PCM says it is a 2004 5.7 durango. Have any of y'all ran into this issue? Could it possibly be the interior dash harness is pinned wrong at the bulk head connector where it goes out to the engine bay?

Last edited:

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So the truck you got the PCM wire harnes ECT from was It also from a 2003 or similar ram? if you did in fact get it from a durango its probably not going work these kinds of swaps get messy hence why not many people do it. Also 2003 uses a chip key If i remember correctly You would need the ingition and keys out of whatever vehicle the pcm came out of If you have a scanner that can re program keys you might be able to get away with just reprogramming it.

OP
OP
T

tymccathern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes everything came out of an 03 ram. The only time something from a Durango touched the truck was when I had the 4.7 replaced, the reman engine came out of a Durango but that shouldn’t matter.

The original setup did not have a chip key. It has a steel key. Would be a black key if it was a factory key. Donor truck also had a black key

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So the truck you got the PCM wire harnes ECT from was It also from a 2003 or similar ram? if you did in fact get it from a durango its probably not going work these kinds of swaps get messy hence why not many people do it. Also 2003 uses a chip key If i remember correctly You would need the ingition and keys out of whatever vehicle the pcm came out of If you have a scanner that can re program keys you might be able to get away with just reprogramming it.
It was an option but not standard. Mine has black (no chip) keys, the early 3G SKIM keys are gray.

Could it possibly be the interior dash harness is pinned wrong at the bulk head connector where it goes out to the engine bay?
Have you compared your work to a factory wiring diagram? As he said, these kinds of swaps are generally not the swap a few parts, plug and play variety. All things being normal, nothing Durango should even be mentioned when you plug in.

OP
OP
T

tymccathern

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was an option but not standard. Mine has black (no chip) keys, the early 3G SKIM keys are gray.

Have you compared your work to a factory wiring diagram? As he said, these kinds of swaps are generally not the swap a few parts, plug and play variety. All things being normal, nothing Durango should even be mentioned when you plug in.
I am in the process of getting the connector views for the 4.7 and 5.7 of the bulkhead connector under/behind the dash because that is the only harness I didn’t change.

I have no idea why it came up as a Durango. The donor PCM, TCM, IPM and harness came out of a Ram.