Clunk in rear end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JL724877

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2017 1500 5.7 4x4 with roughly 107k miles. I noticed probably around 30k miles that I could hear/feel a clunk in rear end after letting off the accelerator and then hitting it again specifically in 4th gear. Didn’t really bother me much at the time but it has become very frequent now even happening in higher gears occasionally. It seems like I can predict when it will happen. Seems to occur when the transmission down shifts into 4 and I let off gas then hit it again. If I let the rpm’s come down some before hitting gas sometimes I can stop it or if I manually shift down to 3rd it doesn’t happen. If I let the transmission sit in 4th and press gas and let off and keep repeating it will do it 50% of the time. Was wondering if anyone has any thoughts?

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Possible & easy fix: U-joint(s) in the rear drive shaft.

Also very possible: Something in the rear diff but that is above my pay grade.

Crawl under and see if you can get the drive shaft to move by hand. U-joints should have very little play. If they are solid then perhaps someone can chime in on diff troubleshooting.

OP
OP
J

JL724877

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve tried pushing on the rear u joint doesn’t seem to have any play but I’ve always wondered if just having it swapped out would be the quick fix.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat