2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck RKE receiver location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mics54ford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anyone know where the RKE receiver location is on a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck. The remote works when the drivers door is open and not when the door is shut? Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this problem?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
It's on the back of the cluster. Good luck finding one if you need to replace it, they have been OOP for years now and are impossible to find new. Little bit of good news is that the same RKE module was used basically from the late 90's to about 2005 across the Chrysler vehicle lines. You might be able to find a used but good.

OP
OP
M

mics54ford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's weird is the key fob works when the drivers side door is open? When you close the door then the fob doesn't work. We tried resetting the fuse under the hood, kinda figured that wasn't it cause it wouldn't work at all if it was the fuse?

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
May be weak signal has issues getting through the door. Battery could be weak in the fob or the fob itself is failing.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
read this

i may be way off in my thinking ...

I always thought that an RKE FOB was the FOB that you never took out of your pocket, you approached the vehicle, touched the door handle to unlock it & then you pushed the start button with your finger

The Passive FOB, you hold in your hand to Start or Unlock & push buttons & the FOB is inserted in the ignition to Start it

RKE or Smart FOB
-1500-smart-keyless-entry-remote-w-engine-start-17.jpg

Passive FOB
dodge-ram-truck-remote-key-fobik-w-engine-start-48.jpg

OP
OP
M

mics54ford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You push the lock or unlock button on the fob to unlock or lock your door and start it with a key? 2004 not sure if I'm misunderstanding.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
read this

i may be way off in my thinking ...

I always thought that an RKE FOB was the FOB that you never took out of your pocket, you approached the vehicle, touched the door handle to unlock it & then you pushed the start button with your finger

The Passive FOB, you hold in your hand to Start or Unlock & push buttons & the FOB is inserted in the ignition to Start it

RKE or Smart FOB
View attachment 520295

Passive FOB
View attachment 520296
He has a 2004. Neither fob is correct. RKE = Remote Keyless Entry. Remote Proximity Keyless Entry is what you are referring to.

Last edited:

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Just like the one in the video you linked. Problem with video #2 is that he is using a DRBIII and not too many people just happen to have one (they're not cheap).

OP
OP
M

mics54ford

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes the one inside the truck.We have put batteries in the fob and it works fine if the drivers door is open but when you shut the door it doesn't? We are going to check with a locksmith and see if they can test the frequency of the fob and the receiver. The dealer is way too expensive.

jacoblane216

Reaction score
Ram Year
Late 2004 / 2004 1/2
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I need some help with something similar. My truck is a 2004 Rumble Bee so I know for a fact I'm supposed to have power locks. However my power locks haven’t worked since I got the truck. I recently have been looking into a new cluster because I thought mine was on the last leg of its life, this is when I came across the information that there is a cluster for trucks with AND without power locks. This newly found information has me questioning if I even have the correct cluster in my truck because when I got it there was one laying behind the seat with a crack in it so I tossed it out without thinking about it. I have my cluster out now preparing for a custom gauge face so I took pictures of all the different numbers around the cluster including the rke module and all the other numbers. I know nothing about this kind of **** so hopefully one of you veterans can help me with this conundrum I have. Here’s all the pictures of what WAS in the truck. Can you tell me if these were originally from the same truck somehow or do they not match whatsoever. I see a number on module that ends in AB and the cluster number I see ends in AF. Someone please shed some knowledge on this stuff to me and help me diagnose what the hell is wrong. Also even a blind man can see that the cluster itself is in way better shape than the rke module. So did this cluster in fact come out of somebodys work truck without power locks or what? IMG_4832.jpegIMG_4829.jpegIMG_4825.jpegIMG_7257.jpegIMG_4830.jpeg Thanks in advance

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Those last two letters are just part number upgrades ,same part just a newer version. The