2004 Hemi won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am having an issue with my 2004 Hemi Quad Cab short bed, auto 4x4, with 109k. I looked over the internet and found some similar issues most with random resolution or no resolution posted. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I started and moved the truck last week, been sitting for 6-7 days. Went to go to Home Depot and would not start.

Here are the symptoms that I have identified.
- Truck will not Crank ( no starter or fuel pump noise)
- Dash lights come on but gauges do not activate
- No Shift light indicator box telling what gear in
- ODB2 scanner cannot connect to computer
- Do not need to depress brake pedal to shift gears

Here is what I have checked
- Battery is 6 months old (jumped anyway 12.8 volts when cranking)
- Checked all fuses and swapped some relays (none blown)
- Pulled ignition switch out and visually inspected (looks good)
- Checked wiring on started and harness next to fuse panel( looks good )
- Checked chassis and frame ground, and no corrosion.
- Pulled fuse 23 and cycled the ignition till beeped (read it will reset the PCM)

I am wondering is the PCM might be bad, next step is to visually inspect that and the wiring. Any similar issues people have had or advice on what to check next?

thanks

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Wish I could help on this. I think you are on the right track with a failing/failed PCM.

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Another symptom I noticed a little while ago ( not sure if related ) was the intermittent wipers timing was weird. I would get 3 fast wipes then nothing for a bit, another 3 fast wipes. When I talked to Dodge they said that my ODB2 connection error can be another module trying to communicate with the PCM taking up the bus not allowing other communications.

xtremewlr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Another symptom I noticed a little while ago ( not sure if related ) was the intermittent wipers timing was weird. I would get 3 fast wipes then nothing for a bit, another 3 fast wipes. When I talked to Dodge they said that my ODB2 connection error can be another module trying to communicate with the PCM taking up the bus not allowing other communications.

I want to say the wiper thing is somewhat of a common issue and not related. I get something similar with my 04 on occasion too. I could be totally wrong tho.

ronbridges34

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 litre
Sounds like the neutral switch might be out. Try putting it in neutral and try to start it. If it starts the switch is on the steering column.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
No shift indicator, no crank and no brake to shift makes it sound like the transmission range switch is bad on the transmission and the truck thinks its in drive or reverse

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sorry for not responding. I have been digging a bit, trying to diagnose the issue. I contact Chris at Hotwire Auto and he sent me a chart to test the PCM. I am not getting 12 volt constant on harness 1 pin 29 of the PCM. So I figured a short somewhere in the system or a blown fuse. I checked all the fuses again and nothing blown.

I was digging under the dash and ended up finding an aftermarket car starter with one melted fuse. I ended up taking the car starter out, some pretty bad wiring but am still experiencing the same symptoms. I am still not getting 12 volts at the PCM wire harness. If the car starter shorted out what could it potentially wreck?

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
You are obviously not getting power to the IPM which feeds everything else. I would disconnect and clean the battery ground and cable. First indication you are on the right track is when your dash comes alive. Even if you unplugged the TRS plug at the trans you would still have lights on your dash. With the dash dead you have a basic power failure, most likely something close to the battery/IPM connection. I would like to see the chart sent to you, is it possible for to post it?
Thanks,

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Attached is the plug identification chart Chris from Hot Wire Auto sent me. I have checked the voltage on all the fuses in the IPM and I am getting 12 volts. I also pulled the unit out and checked all the plugs and they appear to be in good shape. How can you tell if the IPM has failed? I need to check the frame ground, but I cleaned the chassis grounds and they all look fine.

Attachments

• Computer plug identification.pdf
    10.8 KB · Views: 65

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
If you are getting power at the fuses and you have pulled and check all your IPM connector then I'm really surprised you don't have power. Dash is a good indicator as it has lights that come on. This will occur whether the PCM is good or bad. The fuel pump and starter motor /ign circuit will come on briefly when the ign is first turned on. This is the ASD circuit and is controlled by the PCM. But with no dash lights it has to be a very basic power connection. I would suspect a connector under the IPM is corroded.

Edit: might pull and check your relays.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
my dash lights up, odometer also turns on, my gauges do not work. Volts does not come up with accessory power on and the shift indicator square is also not showing.

The 12 volts on the PCM is really what I am thinking is the issue. From how I interpret the issues if the PCM is not getting 12 volts on plug one pin 29 then I image it will cause all the symptoms.

I am really hoping the car starter has not shorted everything out. The IPM is not cheap enough to just replace.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Check the PCM power wire, it looks like you've got it down to PCM or ignition switch. Rebuilt PCM's can be bought for around $200.

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
Are you having any trouble with the headlights, turn signals or horn? I did some searching and it looks like a bad front control module (FCM) would cause trouble with your intermittent wipers and can prevent a scan tool from communicating with the PCM. The FCM also receives input from the ignition switch and remote start.

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I know the lights work, will check the horn and turn signals tonight.

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I took out the ICM and clean all the plug connectors using baking soda, blew them out with compressed air, and then used a thin file to scrape around in the female end of the connector. No change in behavior. Just for kicks i also replaced the ignition switch, also no change in behavior. I also checked all the grounds in the engine bay and they are all good.

I finally took my digital voltmeter home and I am only getting 1.5 volts on the 12 volt connection of the PCM. I guess my last step is to trace that wire all the way back to the battery and look for issues. Thanks for all the info

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think i may have isolated the issue. I decided to take apart the IPM and found some corrosion. I attached some pics of the board.

Attachments

• IMG_20150408_222959.jpg
    IMG_20150408_222959.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20150408_223021.jpg
    IMG_20150408_223021.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 40

RonJon '06

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014, 1985
Engine
6.7, 360
It looks like you found it, nice work. If only it could have been a $2.00 fuse.

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I wish it was that simple...and cheap. Looking over how the box was constructed its no wonder it failed. Sealed from the top but open ports on the bottom. Going to see if my father in law can re-solder the connections, he has a degree in electronics. If not see how bad dodge is going to hit me

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
I have read folks have installed jumpers. Hopefully you can back track to a joint and maybe use a different socket. Or hardwire the sucker and bypass the corrosion completely.

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
dodge wants $650 for a new one. Found a couple used ones for $115 and $200, both not near me. Father in law going to try to fix tonight, I am hoping I can get it fixed and then maybe pick a new one up later.