2004 Hemi won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevnic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am having an issue with my 2004 Hemi Quad Cab short bed, auto 4x4, with 109k. I looked over the internet and found some similar issues most with random resolution or no resolution posted. Any help would greatly be appreciated. I started and moved the truck last week, been sitting for 6-7 days. Went to go to Home Depot and would not start.

Here are the symptoms that I have identified.
- Truck will not Crank ( no starter or fuel pump noise)
- Dash lights come on but gauges do not activate
- No Shift light indicator box telling what gear in
- ODB2 scanner cannot connect to computer
- Do not need to depress brake pedal to shift gears

Here is what I have checked
- Battery is 6 months old (jumped anyway 12.8 volts when cranking)
- Checked all fuses and swapped some relays (none blown)
- Pulled ignition switch out and visually inspected (looks good)
- Checked wiring on started and harness next to fuse panel( looks good )
- Checked chassis and frame ground, and no corrosion.
- Pulled fuse 23 and cycled the ignition till beeped (read it will reset the PCM)

I am wondering is the PCM might be bad, next step is to visually inspect that and the wiring. Any similar issues people have had or advice on what to check next?

thanks

Any update? I have the same problems as you, to a "T"
Corrosion on the PDC and everything. I took it apart cleaned as best I can and it think it's going to need a new fuse box.

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i ended up measuring the voltage on the underside of the fuse box in connector 1. it is known as Integrated power module connector 1, pin 13. I was only getting 2 volts. So I put a fusable link from the battery to wire 29 on connector 1 of the PCM and the truck started.

The issue I am having is the IPM is not outputting 12 volts to the PCM so the computer is not turning on and causing a no started with dead gauges. I will eventually purchase a new IPM, but need the truck this week so i did a temporary hack to get it going. I was thinking of getting a used but don't want to have this issue again, I read about a plastic shield you can get as well. Will invest in that this summer too. Hope that helps. I was able to get wiring information off this site.

Redtruck-VA

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 & 1989 D250 RWD
Engine
Hemi-5.7, 5.9 12v & 24v diesel
If you have a reliable repair in place then you are good to go. If not then see if you can jump the bad area and fix it that way. Looking at a used IPM you will know where to look for corrosion, so that may well beat buying a new one. well done..

Kevnic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i ended up measuring the voltage on the underside of the fuse box in connector 1. it is known as Integrated power module connector 1, pin 13. I was only getting 2 volts. So I put a fusable link from the battery to wire 29 on connector 1 of the PCM and the truck started.

The issue I am having is the IPM is not outputting 12 volts to the PCM so the computer is not turning on and causing a no started with dead gauges. I will eventually purchase a new IPM, but need the truck this week so i did a temporary hack to get it going. I was thinking of getting a used but don't want to have this issue again, I read about a plastic shield you can get as well. Will invest in that this summer too. Hope that helps. I was able to get wiring information off this site.

So do you now have a box around your gear selector? So you essentially powered up a new fused wire with 12v from the battery? ? Do you have any pictures? Sorry so many questions i am up to my neck with this thing. Just wondering how many of your problems were rectified by doing this. Also what color is the connector underneath PDC?
Did it fix all of these problems below?
Truck will not Crank ( no starter or fuel pump noise)
- Dash lights come on but gauges do not activate
- No Shift light indicator box telling what gear in
- ODB2 scanner cannot connect to computer
- Do not need to depress brake pedal to shift gears

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i had all the same symptoms, check earlier in the thread. I post a PDF which shows where to check for power on the PCM. that will help you trace which wire is not getting power. For me it was wire 29 on connector 1, the PDF has a diagram showing the wire configuration

Kevnic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The link wasn't working for me. Glad to hear you got yours running, I have same problem at pdc with corrosion. My friend is going to solder the circuit board(jumper wire)
I hope that fixes it. Pin 29 at pdc is dead for me too.

Kevnic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have power on pin 13, but no voltage on 12. Any updates?

OP
OP
Q

quick6black

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
what do you need an update on? My truck is starting with my jumpered hack. Sending 12 volts to the PCM on connector 1 wire 29 resolved all the issues I was having. So you are getting 12 volts on pin 13 under the IPM? There may not be voltage on pin 12, that could be connected to a relay or some type of switch. I have a link a little further up in the thread where you can search the wiring diagrams.

Kevnic

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Truck is running. Pdc being all gummed up with corrosion caused pin 29 on pcm connector 1 to have no power. Stole some power from another hot wire, all problems gone...
Gearshift indicator came back, gauges back, starts and runs fine.