2004 Ram 5.7 hard starting and stalls after a few min of idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tepp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone, new here and have a problem i hope to get a straight answer for.
I have an 04 Ram with a 5.7, I rarely drive the truck, it has only 40,000 miles on it now.
Anyway to sum it up the truck sat for the last 6 mos with a dead battery, installed a new battery and truck would crank over but not start, shot with a small amount of carb cleaner and it fired but then just went back to just cranking.
I can hear the fuel pump prime up and when the truck will start it will idle for a few min and then stall out and not want to start until it sits for a little bit and some times the red lightning bolt will come on and other times it will flash while idling and the truck runs rough.
I replaced the TPS with one i know to have been good but still same problem, i cleaned the TB, still same problem, i have cleaned ground connection still same problem, it will not throw a code so i can't get anything from the scanner.
I'm at a loss here, never had any problems with this truck till it sat with a dead battery.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Test battery/alternator also check fuel pressure its not good to let the truck sit that much.

OP
OP
T

tepp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello
I am going to post this so that maybe it helps someone else to try troubleshooting a stall or no start issue that also involves the electronic throttle light coming on and flashing when the truck does decide to run.
I spent an aggravating few days dealing with a truck that would start and run but then stall at random times, sometimes do nothing but turn over and not start and the electronic throttle light would come on and send the truck into limp mode sometimes when it would run.
After countless hours of reading wiring diagrams, back probing connections, checking TPS, fuel pump and replacing the throttle body i managed to stumble on the problem.
A $20.00 RELAY!!!
There is a relay labeled (auto shut down relay) it is located right beside the fuel pump relay and in mine it was intermittently failing which was causing my truck to light up the throttle light, stall randomly and in most cases crank over but not start.
I hope this will help someone else that may have the same aggravating problem.

OP
OP
T

tepp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had forgotten about this one.
Years ago i had a problem with the electronic throttle light coming on randomly and sending the truck into limp mode, my truck was 1 month out of warranty and i had to shell out $500+ for a new TPS that the dealer claimed was bad, in that case it turned out to be a bad brake switch.....Yes a bad brake switch, it was internally shorted causing the brake lights to stay illuminated which in turn caused the ECM to think that i was riding the brake for miles which in turn made the ECM randomly cut my throttle out.
You just gotta love electronic technology, first time dealing with the throttle light a $16.00 part tricked the Dealership service dept into replacing a TPS which i managed to keep since i paid for a new one, second time ever dealing with the light a $20.00 relay tricked me into buying a new throttle body.
I just love that little red lighting bolt