2006 1500 - 4.7 V8 Magnum - Reliability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JustJonesIn419

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Probably 1000 other threads out there similar, so pardon the new guy!

I've got the opportunity to buy a 2006 1500 SLT Regular Cab (with the 4.7) for $2000. Truck has 158k miles & seems to be very well maintained and running strong, but I'm not all that familiar with the 4.7. Going to be my around the house beater so not concerned with having as much power as the HEMI.

Seems to have a pretty solid maintenance record. Also see the rear diff. being serviced and fluids flushed/changed roughly 2 years ago. Goal is to run it through 200k.

What's the verdict on the 4.7? Hard for me not to pull the trigger given the price & it drives down the road phenomenal, but someone try to talk me out of it before my wife kills me for buying it :chair:

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have always been impressed with the 4.7 ever since it was release in the 1999 WJ. I have owned several 4.7 Dakota's and Ram's over the years. I actually have two 4.7 trucks left. One is a 2003 Ram 1500 with 376,000 on the all-original long block. The truck is getting a motor as we speak because my Dad's wife didn't see it getting hot after it lunched the water pump bearing and spit the coolant out while traveling at highway speeds. The motor had a little timing chain noise but that is expected on a 4.7 with completely original parts. This truck had been a poster child of reliability since I bought it new in Nov/2002.

My other is a 2002 Ram 1500 RCSB 4.7 truck. This motor went through 292,000 miles street and strip use. Back when KRC was selling cams for the 4.7 I decided to switch out the 4.7 H.O. cams from the WJ Jeeps and put in a set of the KRC 224 cams along with a pair of 2008 cylinder heads. At the same time I added a 150 wet shot and went racing. I beat the crap out of it.

I think the 4.7 is a solid engine for a daily driver. It can feel underpowered when towing but that is to be expected. I say go for it. Do the deal.

On a side note, you can pick up a HEMI truck in the same condition and miles for near the same price. All you have to do is look. Just my thoughts.

Goog luck on your choice.