2007 Ram 1500 Mega Cab Hemi 5.7 - Died during drive, crank no start, lightning symbol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DrInfested

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey all,

I have a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab with the 5.7 Hemi. It has 180,000 miles on it and has been a solid vehicle until today. I was driving around 40mph coming to a stop when my truck shuddered. Initially I thought it was my transmission but then I realized my engine had died. I coasted to a stop and while doing so I saw that a red lightning symbol was illuminated solid on the cluster. I tried to crank the truck again and it seemed like it was starting at first but then it just continued to crank. I tried a little later on to crank it again after smacking the gas tank and it did the same thing, seemed almost like it was "running" for a second, a change in tone like the it was spinning under its own power for a second but then it went back to cranking again. I had the vehicle towed back to my house and it won't start. I filled the gas stank up all the way a week ago and this is the first time I drove it since then.

From what I have read, the red lightning is an issue with the Electronic Throttle Control. I'm not sure where I would start with this. I can't get the truck to O'Reilly or anything to get the codes read and I don't have a reader. I had a check engine light on before this for a minor evap leak, the guy who read the code said he thought maybe that was an issue with the gas cap. The truck was running perfectly up until today.

Tomorrow I'm going to check the sensors on the pedal, the throttle body, etc, just see what I can find. At first I thought maybe it was the fuel pump since it seemed like it was trying to crank briefly, especially after I smacked the gas tank lol, but I'm not sure.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
you need to check fuel pressure could also be cam and crank sensors if it was a throttle body thing truck would still run however first thing is to scan for codes.

Bills86e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi Longbed
Dr is right. A $20 bill for getting a place to start and best thing you have it forever.
Buy a crank sensor too, probably for less. T he crankshaft position sensor is a 3 wire electrical on passenger side of rear block just above oil pan.
jack front right remove FRont right wheel and use a 10mm socket, crawl under frame for to access it.
then clear the code with the reader. The MIL will disappear..

The passenger side fuel rail has a black cap on schreider valve, to check gas pressure use you tire pressure gauge while wife cranks engine.
I believe CPS is your fix.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DrInfested

DrInfested

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the help guys!

For anyone who wants to know what the solution was, I replaced the fuel pump and it ran perfectly after that. The codes all went away and didn't come back. I had an evap code for a few weeks prior to the pump going out also. Super lucky!!

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great you fixed it! Sucks you had a full tank of gas though to deal with

OP
OP
DrInfested

DrInfested

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Oh I forgot to add, I did a pressure test and it was zero, so that thing was good and dead.

Bills86e

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi Longbed
The Lightning Bolt usually causation is the throttle body not properly communicating with the powertrain control module.
Time to technically scan your PCM codes, go from there to find a culprit!
says the Bills86e

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat