2011 Durango Citadel 5.7, broken exhaust screws!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ken226

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
So, I've extracted and replaced broken exhaust manifold screws (technically, they're screws, not bolts or studs), in 3 ram trucks. In my previously owned 2010 bighorn 2wd, and in my current 2013 sport 4x4, and a friend's 2014 Sport 4x4.

The trucks weren't that hard. I accessed the manifolds through the wheel wells. Removed the manifolds, center punched the broken screws, drilled and extracted them. Easy! A couple had to have a nut welded to the screw because the space was too tight for a drill.

The wife's 2011 Durango Citadel was a whole different beast! I would classify this job as torture. Hell's nightmare.

I'd rather sandpaper a wildcats ass, in a phone booth, than do that again.

I wasted my time removing the wheel well liner. Nothing behind it but sheet metal. They must be accessed from above, or below. Mostly below.

So, everything's a tight fit. By tight, I mean no way-no how is a drill getting anywhere near a broken stud. Your gonna be holding a nut on the end of a telescoping magnet, with a helper reaching down from above with a stick helping hold the nut in place, while you attempt to maneuver a mig torch into place.

Ho-lee-****, that sucked. Id rather catch ******.

Next time, I'll pull the engine!

Last edited:

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's what happened to my 2012. I was pissed to say the least and Ram customer care did not work with me on this problem. Anyhow I'm running out the lease on the the 2017, but am gun shy about getting another Ram unless I hear that they have corrected this problem.

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'd rather sandpaper a wildcats ass, in a phone booth, than do that again.

You forgot to mention spraying the sandpapered ass with turpentine...............