2011 Ram 1500 Gear Change Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dabart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
All,

I need some advice and I did some searching but didn't get a complete answer to my situation. I bought a used 2011 Ram 1500 Quadcab Hemi 4x2 Longhorn. I only drive it about six times a month because I have a company car I drive for work. I bought the truck to tow a 8,350lb travel trailer once a month. The truck will tow it fine but I can tell I'm pushing 2500 territory with that weight. I should have bought a 2500 with the CTD but I bought what I could afford. I just noticed after reading here that I have the 3.55 open gears. I have also read that with this model year swapping gears isn't really possible because you have to buy a new case or something.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I currently average about 16mpg in the city. When towing for camping at 70mph I average about 8mpg. This is all according to the truck info center so I'm not sure how accurate. If I change to 4.10 or 4.56 would this help fuel use?

2. What are my gear options? I'm assuming 4.10 or 4.56 with LSD would be the way to go. Would this help with the towing? I'm not changing the stock 20in wheels. I am planning in having this done at the dealer as the truck only has 5k miles on it.

3. When the trailer is hooked up the rear squats just slightly even with the WDH and sway control hooked on. What can I do to level the truck when towing? That might help the truck tow/control the load better.

Thanks again for the help. I new here and to trucks in general.

White Beauty

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I can only provide you to the answer to question 3, Airlift 100 Rear air bags, they go inside the spring and pump them to 25-35psi and when weight is on the truck it wont sag, the bag takes the added pressure. good thing to you can get them for under 100$ and install is simple!

LINK, May not be exact one for your model

just do a google search

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dabart

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can only provide you to the answer to question 3, Airlift 100 Rear air bags, they go inside the spring and pump them to 25-35psi and when weight is on the truck it wont sag, the bag takes the added pressure. good thing to you can get them for under 100$ and install is simple!

LINK, May not be exact one for your model

just do a google search

Thanks! I just ordered a set so I'll be installing that this week. Heading out for another camping trip Thursday so I'll give it a shot!

Jeepkid

Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 TRX 4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Changing gears isnt going to get you anymore major MPG towing or in daily driving. We tow a trailer similar weight and get around 9mpg.

Diesel will get you better numbers but cost more overall. You can do all the tricks to get more mpg towing but in the end dollar wise a diesel will just do better.

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Gears probably won't help gas mileage much but it will help you get the truck and trailer rolling easier. 4.56's will put your RPM's higher than 4.10's but the 4.56's will get it going better

fasthemiram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eagle 5.7 vvt
You don't need a new case... Only a new LSD and have it machined to accept 4.56's