2012 / 4.56 Gears / 6" Lift Lessons Learned

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoldenOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wanted to write a little about my experience with swapping gears in my 12. Like a lot of you, I bought a 2012 4X4, lifted it, put 37's on it and then dealt with the power loss as well as fuel mileage. Hopefully, this will help some of you out there with the ZF Differentials and a lift if you decide to swap gears.

I had driven my truck for over 2 years on my 37's. The power was greatly reduced as well as the gas mileage (I didn't buy, or lift, the truck expecting great fuel economy). After the day to day routine for the two years, I pretty much had forgotten how the truck felt with stock tires when it came to performance. The truck still ran well in town, sounded great with my Magnaflow and was looking good on 22's with 37's. The real problem that I had with it was on the highway. It had 3.55 gears in it. At 70 - 75 mph, the truck would barely shift into 6th. If I even saw the slightest incline, it was in 4th hitting 3500-3700 rpms to maintain speed under Cruise Control. At the end of the day, I was averaging about 12mpg Hwy and 10 in town.

I started looking at swapping gears in the Differentials to correct the increase of tire size affecting the transmission and thats where things got a little fuzzy. The only clear answers that I found were; 1) Its expensive 2) You have to swap out the front differential for an older model 3) Its a pain in the ass. I researched the topic for a few months. Pricing out the various things that I would need as well as finding a reputable shop that could perform this magic. What I didn't ever find was a list of what was needed to get the job done, so I am going to do you all a favor right now.

Things you need -
1) Front Differential Housing Assembly from a 2010 1500.
2) Ring and Pinion Sets for the Front and Rear. (Motive makes a 4.56ZF set for the rear and the 2010 front)
3) Rebuild kit (I elected to rebuild with all new bearings etc. on the front due to unknown mileage and condition of the 2010 front Diff)
4) Gear Install Kit
5) *****This is up to you - 2010 Front Drive Shaft and Spacer (I ordered the spacer from Rough Country for the 2010 6" lift) OR Have your existing Spacer machined to accept bolts for the smaller 2010 Diff.
6) ***** This is where I had issues - Brackets for the 2010 Diff. (The 2010 Diff has a different mount then the 2012. I ordered all of the associated brackets from Rough Country when I ordered the Drive Shaft Spacer. *not realizing that where it mounts to the truck is completely different in one location* The 2012 is mounted at an angle, while the 2010 is straight vertical. The solution here was to basically cut both brackets, using the 12 bracket to mount to the 3rd member and the 10 bracket to the Diff.
7) Money - lol.. Actually, I had seen where others had payed around $3,100 and I ended up at $2,750 (including labor, the parts ordered from Rough Country, drive shaft and diff)

Issues -
The big issue was the 3rd member bracket. ***Don't drive without it - the tube on the stub shaft on the 2010 diff will break, lesson learned. :)***

Results -
I drove the truck home, about 75 miles, stopping 3 times to let the Diffs cool down (part of the break in period). On the highway, cruise set at 72mph, the truck purred like a kitten at 2000-2100 rpms in 6th gear. I actually had the ECO mode kick on while on even stretches. After the 500 miles, returned to the shop and had the fluid changed, then proceeded to find out what I had payed for.... WOW... The truck feels bad ass again.. with traction control on, it feels like its about to do a wheelie from a stop. The acceleration is what it was stock and sounds amazing! the exhaust tone changed a lot, now that the engine isn't bogged down. A little higher pitched and louder.

MPG -
I haven't calculated the city MPG yet, but after a fill up, with about 30 city miles and 150 Hwy miles, I got 16.5MPG. I am going to check it solely on the Hwy and then again in town and update.

Shop-
I live near the KC area on the Missouri side. I called a few mechanic shops in my town, and I didn't really get that warm and fuzzy that any of them were capable of doing the job. I looked online a bit and found Gears Unlimited in KC. I spoke with Billy (the owner) and told him about the challenges as I mentioned above. He was at a show somewhere when I first spoke with him and actually went around to different booths talking to other people about the 2012's. He called me back and said that he absolutely wanted to do it. I liked how he wanted the challenge and so that where I went. When I arrived to drop off my truck, they had already installed the gears in the 2010 front diff and rebuilt it. I came back the next afternoon and it was done**(with the exception of the bracket issue). When I returned for the 500 mile inspection and diff oil change, we saw that the tube on the stub shaft had cracked all the way around. Billy ordered another Diff, swapped out the internals and fabricated the bracket at no additional charge. (AWESOME)

I am absolutely pleased about how the truck performs! Best thing I have done since the lift.

If anyone has any questions, I will do my best to help you out to keep your troubles to a minimum.

Truck 019.jpg

Truck 003.jpg

Truck 007.jpg

SilverSurfer15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
good review, and shows the importance of regearing. Congrats on finally pulling the trigger.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Not going to tell him he's smoking **** by how he is getting his hwy mpg numbers? Lol.

I know some guys with toyotas, that only change the ratio in the back, say 4x4 works fine... Any objections to just swapping out the rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
Not going to tell him he's smoking **** by how he is getting his hwy mpg numbers? Lol.

I know some guys with toyotas, that only change the ratio in the back, say 4x4 works fine... Any objections to just swapping out the rear?

If you only change the rear gears, then the front and rear tires will spin at different speeds when in 4wd. That is going to destroy your transfer case.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Makes sense.. I'm all about swapping to 4:56! I just don't see it as a benefit with the cost, silversurfer. But I wouldn't everrr go higher than 35s!

Edit: these guys live in San Diego and never go in 4wd anyways, but the shop did tell them it would be fine lol.

Last edited:

Hemi450hp

Moe's Performance
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500
Engine
Whipple Supercharged 422" Hemi
As long as they never put the truck in 4wd, then it is OK to swap only the rear. The minute they engage 4wd, bye bye transfer case.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've seen one in 4x4 a few times, but only to get unstuck or go up an incline. Guess it would have to be something where it's engaged for more than 30ft. Either way, it seems like a silly idea to do it.

OP
OP
G

GoldenOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Did you just say I was smoking **** because of calculating my gas mileage, then ask a question about only swapping out the rear ring and pinion?

Someone needs a serious self evaluation. Gas Mileage is calculated by dividing the number of miles traveled by the amount of fuel used. It's not really rocket science. I made the point about gas mileage on the HWY because I had filled up in town and had some city driving included. I plan on filling up on the Hwy and only use the actual HWY driving to calculate.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
No... Silversurfer told me I was (on ****) because I did it the same way as you did (calculate gas mileage).

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GoldenOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Furthermore, lifting a truck and putting big tires on it is great, but since installing the 4.56's, I realize that the lift and tires are only half of the equation. When talking about whether 4.56's are something that is "Worth" the money, it depends on you. Did you lift and purchase wheels and tires for looks, or do you want a vehicle that can truly perform? Not saying there is anything wrong with guys that don't leave the pavement, in fact, I don't get in the dirt, mud or snow as often as I would like, but now with the gears installed, I don't question whether or not I will have the power available to do so. For me, the most important result was getting the proper ratio to get the engine and transmission running as close to stock as possible with 37x13.50's for drive-ability.

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Right now I'm temporarily in California... But in reality the trails I ride back at home dont require a whole bunch of power. Just some good a/t tires and 4x4, lift isn't always necessary, but definitely a plus in some areas.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
i pulled the trigger on my 37s and wheels but now i have no money for my gear swap hahaha not putting them on till i do the swap.

You had no problem getting the 12+ cv shafts to fit with the 10 diff?

how much did you steal a 10 diff for? im having a problem finding one for under 500

also i got a little lost on the diff bracket part. You cut the passenger side brackets in half and welded the two together? All the others fit the truck and the diff correctly?

OP
OP
G

GoldenOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
i pulled the trigger on my 37s and wheels but now i have no money for my gear swap hahaha not putting them on till i do the swap.

You had no problem getting the 12+ cv shafts to fit with the 10 diff?

how much did you steal a 10 diff for? im having a problem finding one for under 500

also i got a little lost on the diff bracket part. You cut the passenger side brackets in half and welded the two together? All the others fit the truck and the diff correctly?

I drove on mine for 2 years. It was ok, just not much power and terrible mileage.

As far as the CV shafts, the fit the 2010 Diff. I did not perform the work, so I will ask Billy at Gears Unlimited and get back with you to verifiy.

Billy knows people in the salvage business in the KC area and I got the 2010 Diff and Drive Shaft for $300. I have seen some on ebay for about 250, but then you have to pay the shipping and ends up around 500. I would ask whoever you plan on doing the install if they can find one. Typically, because they build Diffs, they have connections to get used diffs cheap so they can rebuild and re-sell.

Haha!!! The damn bracket. I just read my original post and left out some things. So here goes - The Diff has 3 mounting points. Because I have a 6 inch lift, there are brackets used to move the diff into proper alignment with the CV shafts, as well as a Drive shaft spacer to accommodate the added length from increasing the drive shaft angle.

2 of the brackets fit perfect. The difference in mounting between the 2010 and 2012 differentials is that the 2012'2 mount for the third member sits at an angle, while the 2010's mount is vertical. Because I had ordered the brackets from Rough Country for the 2010, They (Billy and crew at Gears Unlimited) were able to cut both brackets and weld them together (with gussets) to "fabricate" a new bracket. I will take some pics of it and post.

*** Billy at Gears Unlimited is going to have brackets made specifically for this.

Welcome to Gears Unlimited | Independence, MO

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm quite surprised at the price. I have talked to a couple other people that have done the same type swap and they paid way north of $3000. I'll check back with them and see if the difference was in the parts or the labor?
Great write up!!!!
Jay

OP
OP
G

GoldenOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I was surprised at the price as well. I had every expectation to pay over $3,000. Those guys have been great to deal with.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
well if billy can make some of those brackets ill definitely order one

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
goldenone let me ask you something. In the time you had your 37s with 3.55s how bad were the highway trips? 30 minute trips every week and 2 hour trips at least once a month. Would i end up hating it?

also how did it perform in snow, mud? did it have the power to get itself out of trouble?( i actually use my truck offroad)

i have someone willing to buy my current wheels/tires so i might be tempted to throw my 37s on

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GoldenOne

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hwy trips were fine if you dont mind constant downshifting and horrible milage. I had it on 37s for 2 years before doing the gears.

Off road, in the snow, it did ok. In the Mud, as long as you can stay pretty wide open on the throttle, it was ok as well. It really only is sluggish in the lower rpm range. Having 37s with 3.55s isnt completely debilitating, just doesn't perform like it would stock.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Hwy trips were fine if you dont mind constant downshifting and horrible milage. I had it on 37s for 2 years before doing the gears.

Off road, in the snow, it did ok. In the Mud, as long as you can stay pretty wide open on the throttle, it was ok as well. It really only is sluggish in the lower rpm range. Having 37s with 3.55s isnt completely debilitating, just doesn't perform like it would stock.

well with all the **** on my truck i already have some serious anti aerodynamic stuff going on. + it weighs a ton so i only get 12-14 on the highway. So how much worse could it get :roflsquared:

Message_1449866349960.jpg

aka silver Sophie the gas guzzler